Vintage OSes

Started by DustiiWolf, November 08, 2012, 12:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

If you notice in my second post, Win2k is still compatible, it just is more finicky. Apparently certain settings will cause seamless mode to be non-operational (On my laptop, that is).

Though it is odd that 2k is missing from compatibility mode (ive noticed that too) and I find it especially weird, seeing as 95, 98, & Me are all within compatibility mode still (98 & Me are grouped as one option {Windows 98/ME}.) Maybe it has something to do with NT? Or maybe its just the amount of software that was released for it? (If it was for 2k, I believe it should work on XP, meaning the logic in thinking is that they just use XP compatibility mode.)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

No idea, man. Maybe it is because 2000 and XP are so closely related that they decided to drop it :\

alfonso_rd_30

wow... Win 8 is racist!

DustiiWolf

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 25, 2013, 09:23:45 PM
wow... Win 8 is racist!
No it isn't. If you learn a new language, no sense learning it a second time for a different country which speaks that same language.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

alfonso_rd_30

still racism to the elderly... J/k

ettanb

http://www.oszoo.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Unfortunately as effect of the stupid copyright laws is available only for free OSes... But still you might like it.

Nichi

Cool. Maybe I can try out some older versions of Linux now ^^

Goujer (she/her)

Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 custom version for the PowerMac G4 MDD w/ FW 800 onto a Zip Disk because I am out of IDE HDDs. But my G4 MDD w/ FW 800's PSU died and took the GPU with it. So I have to use a dumpster Mac to do it all while the eBay man fixes my PSU.

Nichi

Wow.

In some experiments the other day with one of my old desktops, I found you can upgrade directly from Microsoft Memphis (98 Beta, Build 1400) to Windows 98 Second Edition; which is interesting.

Goujer (she/her)

Found Windows 3.0 for 5.25" in its original plastic wrapping today for $3.0, but it has clear water damage, and the box is very smooshed.

Bella

I managed to get Multics to boot in an Ubuntu VM at some point a couple years ago ... I should see if I still have that image on my laptop.

Goujer (she/her)

That would be cool to see.

Triplex

I sometimes fire up an old FreeBSD VM and see what I can get working. I also do the same with my Redhat 5.6 VM too.
I'm just a guy who uses Arch Linux, wears trenchcoats, and loves girls who are tomboys.

Nichi

@Goujer : That sucks. I bought a new copy of NT4 a while back, although upon closer inspection, either it's a very convincing bootleg or Microsoft really cheaped out on the packaging (As the print quality of the box seemed a bit off when put next to other boxed releases of Windows I have from the same timeframe)

@Bella : Nice :O

Hālian He/him

I've tried my hand several times at getting Mac OS 9 running on my 1.25 GHz eMac, but each time it's quite unstable, contradicting user reports that it's simple and runs stably. :/