Dubbing, Dubbing, Dubbing!

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, January 26, 2007, 03:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

It is an idea which arose in my mind. It started all from this discussion:

http://ostan-collections.net/viewtopic.php?t=204&start=300

Now I ask you. How is dubbing in your home country?

What are the voices that you prefer? What you dislike?

What is the best, the worst official dubbing?

What is the best fan-dub you ever listen?

Was it better or lesser than official dub?
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Xyanide

the dubbing over here is actually done in dutch for the kids shows but DBZ and Gundam was in english dub.

I prefer the japanese of course, english sounds like those nurses in retirement homes, talking loudly and in arcing tones in their sentences.

I havn't seen many dubs but i gotta say Gundam Wing wasn't actually that bad when i watched it, but that was before i got used to watching the original japanese so i'd have to rewatch to make a fair opinion on it. Also Ghost in the Shell has a decent dub...not great of course but...just about ok.

the best fan-dub...i have no idea, i never heard a fan-dub! Only for parody reasons actually. Do those serious fan-dubs even exist? o_0

Anyway there is a "fan-dub" i'm watching actually and it's a parody on yu-gi-oh, it's called "yu-gi-oh: the abridged series"
look it up on youtube, i havn't seen either of the original yu-gi-oh or the dubbed version so i don't know...but i'm pretty sure it's better! hehe the abridged series is hilarious, i recommend it to anybody who likes anime in general

SleepyD

fandubs usually annoy me, but the fandub parodies like the yugioh one Xyanide mentioned are funneh

Now back when I was little I used to pick out voice actors, for example Brock and Kaiba. I still do, only now it has expanded to video games, Japanese VAs as well as English VAs.

Crispin Freeman is an interesting dubber.  Somehow he tends to have this maniacal laugh that makes me laugh. XD (Alucard (hellsing), Albedo (xenosaga), Albel (star ocean 3))
...i did not realize they all started with "Al" XD;  I've observed he also caters to the fangirls, having seen him in a panel at AX. Much screaming and laughter ensued.  

It seems that female dubs are what tend to annoy me the most.... Western voices aren't made to be loli. They just make peoples ears bleed if they try.

But overall, the worst dubs are a few old anime that I can't recall right now, and anything that comes out of 4Kids.

That is what I have to say. ^^

CaptBrenden

I like either personaly.. it really depends which I see first.  I never like the second one I watch.. but thats because ive alread associates a voice to a cirtain character.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

zjhentohlauedy

well i can understand what CaptBrenden said since before i downloaded and watched fansubs i appreciated the dubbings here in the philippines, shows like Voltes V, Yu yu Hakusho, Getter Robo...  :/
i never complained before but when i started watching subbed animes i started to dislike the Filipino dubbed ones and most of the time, the english dubbed ones as well since like what SleepyD said the female dubbers are quite annoying. ;013
My my, aren't you lovely~

OTGX

dubbing in my country is suck but good thing is my neighbor country's dubbing is great and  dubbing on Animax channel some good some bad
but i think original sound track is better(sub).

SleepyD

Some of animax's dubs were ok.  Not great though.  I watched some when I was in the Philippines.

Quote from: "zjhentohlauedy"well i can understand what CaptBrenden said since before i downloaded and watched fansubs i appreciated the dubbings here in the philippines, shows like Voltes V, Yu yu Hakusho, Getter Robo...  :/
i never complained before but when i started watching subbed animes i started to dislike the Filipino dubbed ones and most of the time, the english dubbed ones as well since like what SleepyD said the female dubbers are quite annoying. ;013

I must say though, the dubbing for Yakitate!! Japan in Tagalog cracked me up.  I was rofl-ing all over. XD

CaptBrenden

the dubs we got in Iraq were horrible.. and quite illegal -_- honestly i dont know why they are able to sell them on base.. btu the arabs sell bootleg DVDs on base there.. and you can get full anime series with fancy looking boxes... and you might think they were legit.. exept for the typos.. and the REALLY BAD SUBS.  

Funny.. some of them claimed to be from popular sub groups.. like I saw a copy of bleach 1-64 and it claimed it was Lunars.. but my buddy got it and it cirtanly wasnt lunar animes sub.

zjhentohlauedy

well illegal stuffs are risky, you win some you lose some.  ;026

CaptBrenden

the higher ups know they are being sold there.. so maybe there is a legal reason why copys like that can be sold in a third world country.. or maybe they are just turning a blind eye? I donno.  Some discs were done pretty good, some were filmed out of a thearter.   We were able to see new release movies out there... but often it wasnt worth it.  I saw the ring 2 out there 9and other then the fact the movie fails at life)  it lost all effect it might have had cus i couldnt see what was going on. just hear screaming white woman.

zjhentohlauedy

yeah, worst fake discs are the ones recorded inside theaters and cinemas.

BTW i like your new ava. ^_^

Laevatein

Dubs dubs dubs... really, it all depends on whether the actual work itself is good or not, since dubbing is sorta inconsistent across several titles, and it's not hard to see why. Not only do you have different VA groups doing different anime, but also the voice that worked for one character may not work for another (Blum as Onizuka T_T), and then there's the acting itself, whose quality depends on the dubbing director (and to some degree, the VA's salary). And of course there's the translations; some script translations require tweaking to match the onscreen character's lip movements, too much tweaking though and you risk losing the original meaning of the dialogue. Lots of complexities ^^;;

But anyways, you can't always say a dub in a certain language is bad. I mean while many tagalog dubs in our country are quite horrid, there are the titles that actually capture the feel of the original (dub Yakitate! Japan for example, which is quite hilarious), and at certain times, Filipinos can actually match the Japanese VA's in talent, at least in certain high profile titles. And then there are the english dubs whose very translation mars the original japanese meaning, and not to mention rampant overacting, but nonetheless there are series that are better being watched in English, and are actually preferrable to watching subbed, like Cowboy Bebop.

My point? Well, keep watching anime =P

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

SleepyD

I heard Bandai actually held an online poll for the English voice actors for Haruhi.

Polls have closed now of course, but I hope the people who voted made wise choices. It's an interesting method, and a method I support. ^^

Laevatein

They did a few weeks ago yes. They had each VA act out a sample line for the character, then put them up as wav samples on the poll, so people can listen to whoever best suits that character. Pretty good method if you ask me, and should be implemented more in the future.

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

zjhentohlauedy

that's a great way! this would make dubbed anime more interesting, id like to see/hear how the method worked out.