Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

True that :[

So, I was thinking recently. Are there any cartoons you used to enjoy as a kid, that when you watch it years later, you fail to understand why you enjoyed it?

For me, one solid example would be the Donkey Kong Country animated series. I enjoyed it as a kid, although when I revisited it over the summer of '09, I found it almost unbearable to watch with how badly it had aged. Granted, I guess that's bound to happen when you're rewatching an English dub of a French adaptation of a British video game using characters from an older Japanese video game several years after the point ^_^;;

Chocofreak13

Codename: Kids Next Door
Camp Lazlo
The Fairly Oddparents (some episodes)

i know there are a couple other shows that fall into this catagory too, but it's the phenomenon where you rewatch something from childhood as an adult and understand it a lot more (like how i rewatched The Secret of Nimh and understood everything a whole lot more, as well as realizing it was shorter than i thought it was). in the case of these shows, especially KND, i see it and am like, "god, the humour here is so stupid! did i actually think this was funny, it's so juvenile!". it's never really in a bad way, it's just in an "this is absurd *chuckle chuckle*" way.
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

i've been watching airbender all day, so i don't know what you're getting at. :\
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

actually, i watched it till it stopped playing. -w- and it's playing again tonight, so yeah. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Oh yeah, Airbender. I loved that series *w*

Now, I just need to finally catch the first episode of Korra...

Bella

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

The live action one? It was alright, but IMO it lacked the charm of the original cartoon; I mean, they didn't have the guy who sells cabbages ;_;

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on July 23, 2012, 06:50:23 PM
I saw the movie trlololololol

Which one?

Avatar, the movie that was cast with dull white people hilariously standing in for a diverse multiethnic cast?
Or Avatar, the movie that was cast with computer-generated blue catpeople who were a hilariously thinly-veiled allegory for indigenous peoples?

Either way I'm so sorry for the two hours that you wasted

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 22, 2012, 11:24:21 AM

i know there are a couple other shows that fall into this catagory too, but it's the phenomenon where you rewatch something from childhood as an adult and understand it a lot more (like how i rewatched The Secret of Nimh and understood everything a whole lot more, as well as realizing it was shorter than i thought it was). in the case of these shows, especially KND, i see it and am like, "god, the humour here is so stupid! did i actually think this was funny, it's so juvenile!". it's never really in a bad way, it's just in an "this is absurd *chuckle chuckle*" way. [/color]

- Oh, the poor turkey fell down!

- I'm not a turkey!

Don't worry. You were not juvenile. It was simply pure genius... :)

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: NejinOniwa on July 23, 2012, 06:50:23 PM
I saw the movie trlololololol

You made me remember that the author of trololo died 3 weeks ago... :(
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

@raffaele: oh noes, the creator of a meme died!? the internet mourns in near-silence, like it did for the young creator of EddsWorld. :[

that said, i didn't find the humour in NIMH juvenile. as you said, it was comedy gold. that part about the turkey cracks me up every time. xD
and when aunty shrew keeps calling for mrs. brisby and gets loud and flustered, that was so hilarious. xDD

@bella: both movies are pieces of crap. i haven't seen either and don't plan to.
as for avatar, you're really missing out by not seeking it out. the first season is a little slow, but after that the series really picks up with plenty of action, drama, and intrigue. i highly reccomend it as it even got non-anime people into it. :\
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Au contraire, while the movie could've been done a lot better, it was still fairly cool in my opinion - and it made me ever so slightly interested to watch the series.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS