Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

indeed. :\ though i heard of a fan effort to make a sequel series where they're in high school. the character designs look really, really good. i'm looking forward to what comes next. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

That does sound cool. Hopefully it turns out better than All Grown Up :\

Speaking of that, I admit that All Grown Up was a cute idea for a on-off Rugrats special, but it failed to interest me when they officially made a series out of it; I watched it a few times, and never could get over the fact that it felt like the only reason it existed was to fill the void left when Hey Arnold ended (To be fair, that show did leave big shoes to fill)

Chocofreak13

damn straight; Hey Arnold! was one of my favourite cartoons growing up. i was really upset when it ended.

as for Ed, Edd, and Eddy, the spinoff is fanmade, meaning they have little opportunity to screw up, lol.  out of all of the characters, Ed is the one who has changed the least, still donning the old coat and look. though he has glasses now. <3
oh, and Eddy's scams have gotten more expensive and Billy Mayes-esque. (all this can be yours for just $25!!!). he also seems to have a series of part-time jobs. :3
and DoubleD is the only one of the three who doesn't have his license. xD (also, they fixed the old van from the junkyard. ^^)
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Nichi

@Kari: Sounds cool :3

@Stew: ...because the Kool-Aid Man is red? </linkara>

So, did anybody else watch Johnny Quest in any of it's incarnations? Although the original '65 series is classic, I have more fond memories of watching the sadly short-lived '96 series (Even though the parts set in a virtual reality world made no sense). Also, I do enjoy the Venture Bros. from time to time (Given that it's a spoof of the original Johnny Quest, I feel it's worth a mention)

Bella

I seem to recall being excited to hear about All Grown Up, but I never actually followed the show. (Maybe it didn't interest me as much as I thought it would?)

Never did get into Ed, Edd and Eddy, just never seemed appealing to me.

Chocofreak13

@stew: because the later parts of the series are disappointing and plenty of fans wondered what the Eds would look like older? (DoubleD was always hot, and now that he's in high school with long hair and a tie, he's REALLY hot.)

@pent: we need to get you some new references, man. >>;
i've never seen either Johnny Quest, but i find Venture Bros. funny on occasion.

@bella: tbh, All Grown Up was an alright series, but not something to get super-psyched about. i watched it when it was on, but if there was something better, there was something better. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I guess it was just another series that never really clicked with me.  Now Camp Lazlo and Foster's, there were some series I enjoyed watching in their time.  Latter has a fandom I'm iffy on though.

Pent:  Johnny Quest!  Though to be honest I was always more of a Huckleberry Hound and Rockey & Bullwinkle fan when it comes to that era.  Speaking of pastiches of 60's cartoons; how could we forget SeaLab 2021 and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law?  Those were the shows that actually got me to watch Adult Swim, and discover the sheer glee of those early ATHF seasons.  Somehow this also lead to Clone High.... which is far from a bad thing.

Raffaele the Amigan

What about Capt. Flamingo? Seems me lovely.

And have you heard of this France (?) cartoon 3D: The legend of Enyo?

And third this one. From the 3 episodes I seen, it seems me very funny: Gumball

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

i'm not a fan of gumball. it falls into the same catagory as regular show, which i consider to be one of those neo-hipster shows without much meat. not really my thing.

the other two you posted look interesting, though. :3

@stew: everyone has their tastes. i got into lazlo a little, but found the humour to be a little lacking to me. it was cute, though, and i did catch a couple episodes when they were fresh.
now foster's is one i got into. i loved that show, my sister loved that show, even my mum loved that show. and i loved the movies along with it. the style was original, the concept wacky and fun, and the characters loveable (and the soundtrack was perfect).
i wish they'd play it again. methinks the neohipsters would get into it. :\

aw man, sealab. i love sealab, though i didn't get to see very much of it. but it was one of the early [as] shows for me too, and like you, got me into the early seasons of ATHF (which were actually funny).

did anyone else watch scooby doo? i used to watch it when i was little and there was nothing on when i was sick, but some of the early episodes are funny. i also liked one of the TV movies (made in the 80's), where Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy go to work as gym teachers at a girls' finishing school for monsters. it was very cute. ^^

also, does Teen Titans count in this catagory? Trouble in Tokyo is on right now (it was actually on about 2 weeks ago, too), and i'm loving it. though if they'd play some of the more theatrical episodes (when beastboy leads the random heroes at the end, when raven confronts her father the second time, etc) i'd be even more psyched. (watched the entire series; have the theme song on my ipod (i think; i have 3 versions of it.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Scooby Doo! I used to watch that show a lot as a kid, as did my parents when they were kids ^_^
The movies were always pretty cool, too; especially the ones that'd do something out of the ordinary (Like Scooby Doo & the Ghoul School, as you mentioned, or my personal favorite, Scooby Doo on Zombie Island >w<)

I'll be honest, I never could get into Camp Lazlo; which might be partially because the TV I had at the time sucked, so it was often easy to misread "Camp Lazlo" in the on-screen TV guide as "Code Lyoko" ^_^;
However, I did watch it once, and it was like of "meh" to me; not really my kind of show

I never got a chance to watch Sealab, but I always wanted to. It and Cowboy Bebop were among the early Adult Swim shows that I'd see listed on Cartoon Network's online schedule ages ago and had me curious what they were like. I did give ATHF a try, and it failed to impress me; granted, it was one of the more recent episodes, which might be partially why :\

Also, I'd think Teen Titans would count. That show was kickass -w-

@Stew: Oh yeah, Rocky & Bullwinkle. That show is classic *brofist*

Chocofreak13

the new ATHF can't hold a candle to the early episodes. it was just the right amount of random.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Mmm. I might have to try watching some of the early episodes, then :3

Did anybody follow Samurai Jack when it was still on? I remember watching the premiere movie ages ago and thinking it was cool, but I sadly never got to see more of it because mom felt it was "too violent" and my sister hated it because "It's an American cartoon trying to pretend it's an anime" >_<;;
(For the record, Samurai Jack premiered during my sister's "anime is the only worthwhile form of animation" phase)

stewartsage

Exactly.  Now it's just held afloat by stupid jokes and running gags

Nope, though I had an English teacher who was a big fan.

Raffaele the Amigan

As being of really an age I have seen all the Hanna & Barbera productions before it changed the name into Cartoon Network so I saw all Tom & Jerry cartoons ( I had the chance to quote them also in my exam of History of Cinema), Yoghi Bear, Yoghi's Ark, the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Hair Bear, Wacky Racers, Dastardly & Muttley, Loopy the Loop, Scooby Doo and so on. The only one actually aired without being interrupted or surpassed by anime here in my country is Scooby Doo.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]