Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I can't stand Johnny Test either. (It's one of my nephew's favorite shows though). >>

I've always wanted to see more episodes of Chowder and Flapjack, since I've only seen a few of each. They never air on CN anymore, though... :/

Anyone else here watch any Disney Channel series? I didn't watch many, but I remember liking The Proud Family, Kim Possible, The Weekenders and Recess.

Nichi

Ah yes, Disney Channel. I never was that fond of the network after a drastic change of format in '97, in which they dropped a lot of my favorite shows from their lineup (Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles being among the casualties), although I did like Recess a lot, as well as Kim Possible the few times I watched it :3

As for the Weekenders, I used to watch that on Sunday mornings on a local station; it being aired as part of a block with Heavy Gear (A series from the creators of ReBoot; based on a tabletop RPG of the same name). Kind of a strange pairing for that block; a Canadian mecha series with a Disney slice-of-life series

stewartsage

Kari: Yes,  yes, and yes.  Awesome, not my style, and awesome.

Raffaele the Amigan

@ Choco: WITCH is a very great Disney product along with Monster Allergy, but while the comics are great, the cartoon counterpart sucks, as these products were realized in economy.

See the difference:

Witch anime:

Original comic design:

Monster Allergy cartoon:

Original comic design:

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

@ Bella:

Yes I greatly appreciated Kim Possible and mainly the marvellous Phineas & Ferb. :D
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

@ All: What about The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy?

It made me really rolling on the floor due to laughs...  :D
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

stewartsage

Weekenders!  That was my Saturday morning as a kid.

P&F is amazing, hands down.

Billy & Mandy I discovered after it had concluded but god did I love every minute of that show.  That was wacky/weird done right.

svx

I'm ALL ABOUT the Venture Bros!

And Adventure Time
and Futurama
and Family Guy
and Metalocalypse
and Quake
and wait that's a game lol
and Quake
and lol sry
and Venture Bros again :>
and Powerpuff Girls
and Dexter's Lab
and Fairly Odd Parents
and The Real Life
and lol i lied
and BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on July 09, 2012, 11:12:11 PM
Anyone else here watch any Disney Channel series? I didn't watch many, but I remember liking The Proud Family, Kim Possible, The Weekenders and Recess.

I WATCHED ALL OF THOSE AND I LOVED EVERY ONE THANKYOU FOR REMINDING ME.

seriously, i went to see the theatrical release of recess and i ended up snagging a promotional wall hang (i say wall hang vs poster because it was printed on foamcore, i believe). it was on my wall for years till i moved a bookshelf to the spot where it was. i'm not sure what happened to it.

@raffaele: it's amazing the things i've forgotten over the years. P&F was on the tail end of my cartooning watching (came out when i was in the middle of high school) but every episode i've seen i've liked. :3

as for Billy and Mandy, i loved that show and still do. it's a crying shame they don't play it anymore, as it inspired more seasons and specials than it knew what to do with. lucky that it figured it out anyway. i even went so far as to track down two of the insert songs from the series and still have them on my ipod ("Darkness" by SPF 1000, performed by Purple Filth feat. Grim, and "BRAINS!" by Voltaire, performed by The Brain Meteor with accompanying dance by Billy feat. The Residents of Endsville).
have you seen the fan comic on SNAFU, Grim Tales? you might like it, the art is lovely. :3

did anyone else enjoy Billy and Mandy's old-time counterpart, Evil Con Carne? that show never got as big as Billy and Mandy, but i wish it had gotten more time in the spotlight. it was pretty funny. :3

@pent: i never saw those commercials, and frankly that's kind of a stupid reason, but then, i've done similar things, so i can relate. a shame you missed it, though, you might have liked it. the art style was unique and interesting, and the show quite funny. ^^

@svx: i think an ex-boyfriend/current friend liked batman: the animated series. i know my sister's fiancee liked it. :0
also, FUTURAMA. that show is so fun. >w<

i'm curious, why is everyone always down on flapjack? i've heard people say everything from "it's not 'my' style" to "it's a stoner show". i beg your pardon, i'd say AT is more of a stoner show than Flapjack (even Chowder was crazier). the art style was different than anything else at the time, which is what might have put people off of it, but that's terrible considering it accented the theme of the show. that's how art of sailors and ports was done in the 1850's and such, and they recaptured it exceedingly well. you could say they brought the art style back to the spotlight, considering most people would think it was a completely original concept. the truth is, it's just a lost form of art, as Ragtime is a lost form of music. :\
the show itself was funny and cute, too. Flapjack's pure innocence, Kunuckles' disregard for personal (and flapjack's) safety and well being in favour of adventure and booze/candy, and Bubby's adoration for her son. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I never watched Flapjack. It did look like it probably would have been funny, but it's one of those shows that always came on at a time I could never catch it when it was on :\

On a random note, has anybody ever caught hidden background details in cartoons; like book titles on bookshelves or something?

As an example, I remember watching an episode of Code Lyoko once, and I clearly remember one of the books on the floor in Jeremy's room said "Red Hat Linux" on the spine (Only he could figure out how to make that OS actually work). I also remember watching reruns of Rocky & Bullwinkle, and seeing a book on a bookshelf in the background was titled "Sex on Planet X" (I'm not joking; one of my dad's friends, who grew up watching the show in the '60s, said he noticed it when he was watching it years later)

Bella

Linux got cameo'd on Code Lyoko? : o

Quote from: stewartsage on July 10, 2012, 02:10:05 AM
Weekenders!  That was my Saturday morning as a kid.

P&F is amazing, hands down.

Billy & Mandy I discovered after it had concluded but god did I love every minute of that show.  That was wacky/weird done right.

In my (unpopular) opinion, Phineas and Ferb is the weirdest family/kid-oriented cartoon on the air right now. (Yes, even compared to Adventure Time.) I don't watch very often, but the episodes I've seen have generally been good. Even if the most annoying character shares a name with me. <<

I never got into Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy... I think it aired during that period that I was convinced that the shows on Cartoon Network were too weird...  ;^;

stewartsage

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

I loved that show, although mainly the earlier seasons; everything from roughly '03 onward was kind of "meh"