Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

I was very pleased in the last years by cartoons like Fairy Oddparents, Ben Ten, Sidekick from Usa and Code Lyoko from France.

There are dozens I like, but let's start talking from these as an appetizer. :D
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

Oh, and I forgot the beautiful Avatar, the last airbender... :D
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Bella

I'll start by mentioning some of the still-running cartoons I like. ADVENTURE TIME is probably my favorite cartoon at the moment, along with My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Futurama and Regular Show. Oh, and Family Guy (preferably the older episodes) and sometimes American Dad (if absolutely nothing else is on). That's all I can think of at the moment...

I kinda want to check out Legend of Korra, too...

Nichi

There are some I've enjoyed over the years; noteworthy ones would include Code Lyoko, Batman: The Animated Series, Darkwing Duck, Adventure Time, etc.

If stop animation can count, include Robot Chicken in the above list

stewartsage

I guess I was too old to ever really fall into Ben Ten's demographic, and when I was younger I really liked Fairly Odd Parents.  Then it sort of jumped the shark and I stopped watching.  Code Lyoko rooooocks though, even if I never got to see the end...

Still running I enjoy Regular Show, Adventure Time, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the Star Trek Animated Series.

Chocofreak13

CODE LYOKO >w<

that said, i loved that show. and quite a few cartoons over the years. i suppose you could count them in stages:

early childhood - middle school: Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Hey Arnold!, Ahhh! Real Monsters (that was VERY early childhood), Angry Beavers (on occasion), Catdog (on occasion), Codename: Kids Next Door, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Doug, Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, The Simpsons, South Park (on occasion), Daria (quite early childhood), Static Shock, Liberty's Kids, Arthur, Cyberchase, Sagwa (last 4 were pretty much PBS exclusive)

middle school: i hit a point where most of what i watched on tv in middle school was anime or something similar (i consider Avatar to be Anime since Anime is a style not limited to a region). however, i did enjoy Code Lyoko (never saw the ending ;^; ), Ben 10 (the original series, though tbh i enjoyed the older seasons even more), and Family Guy (i know there were others, but they've already been mentioned or, once again, can't remember them)

high school: by this point we had nice expanded cable, so i was able to watch Nicktoons and catch some classics, like seeing the later episodes of Teenage Robot (i had heard there was a 3rd season released in Japan, which was dubbed into english and released for Nicktoons later on). also by this point American Dad! had been created, which i still enjoy to this day. also managed to see the older series of Ben 10, which was quite good (dropped out of it so i lost the chain of the story), as well as expanding my anime repertoire.
also enjoyed some adult swim series around this point, such as Robot Chicken and Lucy: Daughter of the Devil.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who's never watched Code Lyoko (and never even heard of it until a couple of years ago).

I watched Fairly Odd Parents fairly regularly. And tried to get into Danny Phantom, but I never could follow it for whatever reason.

Anyway, I looked up Nicktoons on Wikipedia and found this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicktoons

Of that entire list, I remember numbers 1 - 23 in varying degrees of clarity. For instance, I only vaguely recall Aaah! Real Monsters!, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Angry Beavers and Pelswick, while I remember Rugrats, Hey Arnold, CatDog, The Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power and Spongebob much better (of course, most of these were favorite series at different times growing up).

If memory serves correct, I only watched As Told By Ginger, Chalk Zone and My Life as a Teenage Robot intermittently, and I pretty much hated Invader Zim (too weird) and Jimmy Neutron (didn't like the 3d animation style, quite the artistically-discriminating 10-year-old I was).

Nichi

Of Nicktoons, my favorites were, in order of premiere:

Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Kablam (Mostly for Action League Now), Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, Rocket Power, Fairly Odd Parents, Invader Zim, Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I wouldn't mind seeing Legend of Korra, but I missed the first episode ^_^;

Raffaele the Amigan

Oh, well I m over 40 but I watch Fairy Oddparents with the same pleasue at any new tv passage.

I like also Courage dog, Spongebob, some episodes of Squirrel boy, and the humor of Johnny Test.

Dexter Lab leave me almost cold, except some very funny episodes.

I dislike to death the WINX club (not to be confused with W.I.T.C.H.) and my little pony (I'd likd to see all roasted with poatoes those obnoxious stupid horse-shaped lame creatures)
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

I like very much some european productions like Chasseurs de dragons , Matt's Monsters and also I apprecciate cartoons like Monster Buster Club.
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

stewartsage

Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold are probably two of my favorite childhood cartoons.  Courage the Cowardly Dog and Powerpuff girls I watched every-so-often, but frankly I didn't have Cartoon Network growing up so you won't see many programs from there on any list of mine.

I never could stand Rocko's Modern Life.  It just wasn't my thing as a kid or now.  As for Johnny Test, I wish they'd stop showing that damn thing on TV all the time.

Chocofreak13

@bella: ooo, i forgot some of those! danny phantom was always a favourite of mine (i still watch it when it's on), especially the later episodes.
rocko's modern life, rugrats (and all grown up), the wild thornberries, rocket power (i have a game boy game based on that one), as told by ginger, chalk zone (loved that one), and invader zim (really loved that one; my sister has the seasons on DVD, including the christmas special) were all series i watched growing up.

if it's any consolation about code lyoko, most of my friends didn't watch it, or quite a few of the series i watched (i think i was the only kid i knew who even watched PBS). the only one i remember talking with friends about till high school was Avatar, as me, my best friend (at the time) Summer, and Casey (a great friend since childhood; we lost contact when she went to a catholic high school) had a posting war on my profile on GaiaOnline. xD

@raffaele: another one i forgot, Courage! i looooved courage, especially the really obscure episodes like the one with the operatic sea serpent.
WINX was a bit hit and miss....i enjoyed it somewhat when it was on FOX, but not enough to really get into that. :\ as for W.I.T.C.H, i never saw it, for 3 main reasons: 1. the intro really put me off of it, 2. it seemed like a rather generic series, and 3. i was at a point in time when anything involving witches in the media was enough to get me angry (as a young pagan, many things can offend).

as for european cartoons, i have already mentioned Code Lyoko, and another french creation, Totally Spies!, was also a childhood favourite, though tbh i consider that more anime than the rest of the cartoons here. (i got one of the video games for christmas after finding it at a local discount store, Building 19. have yet to play it, but it looks cute. ^^)

also, i think we might have forgotten canadian cartoons here, or maybe i was the only one who watched them. the only specifics i can remember are total drama island (which i found funny and ended up seeing through to the end, though it was around this time that my taste for CN went downhill) and Ruby Gloom, which i've yet to see but i have one of the original ruby gloom Tshirts which inspired the series. :3

@stew: i agree about johnny test. i liked it at first, but if they aren't playing regular show/AT/MAD, they're playing that. >>;;

did anyone else watch the now-defunct CN shows that inspired today's hipster-lover shows? i mean like Chowder and Flapjack and Adventure Time with Finn and Jake (before the title was shortened to just Adventure Time)?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

How could I forget Courage the Cowardly Dog? That and Invader Zim where among the shows I'd spend my Sunday afternoons watching at my grandma's house >w<

Also, I have to 3rd you on Johnny Test. I kind of liked it when it first premiered on Kids WB, but it got old fast when Cartoon Network got the rights to it and began airing it non-stop :\

With Canadian shows, I love ReBoot. It's the show that not only helped foster further interest in computers, but also introduced me to the concept of computer programs as people years before OS-tans even existed :3

As for Chowder, I was turned off by the preview they did before it premiered; using that annoying brat from that failed live action series, Out of Jimmy's Head (Why do I remember the title?), to promote it; who was obsessed over the show being about "a boy who eats anything". Nothing against Chowder itself, since I've never watched it, but anything that stupid Jimmy kid promoted was an automatic turn-off for me; even if they had him promoting the return of Toonami, I would have passed just because he was so ungodly annoying >_>;;