Main Menu

SOPA

Started by IanDanKilmaster, December 21, 2011, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

I don't think the fed is really that interested in our personal information, daily routine, or other such information.  I am, however, concerned about the potentiality for this bill to be abused by those in power.  Right now, the greatest hurdle for any movement to get over is the mainstream media - if a group doesn't get coverage they, for most part, don't exist.  Now imagine if those same groups couldn't even organize online?  That would effectively kill off any true populist movement - the only people who could organize would be those capable of bypassing government blackouts, who honestly aren't that numerous.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

which would effectively bring the internet back to the early 90's: something only nerds have. :\

EDIT: in searching for anime watches on ebay (the time telling kind), i encountered this:

"In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org."

i've never encountered this before.....maybe it has something to do with the political climate now? :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Actually, Google's been doing that awhile now.  I think it started a couple of years ago, somewhere around the same time they added the "DMCA complaint" button youtube.  Their whole reasoning for doing it was so they could show copyright owners they were actively involved in policing themselves.  So it was actually an attempt at keeping us from reaching this point.

Chocofreak13

still, it seems odd that i would never encounter this till now. :\ and i imagine that SOPA and the attitude surrounding it is likely going to have some effect on company policies. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Josie was looking through her bookmarks at some old youtube links lately and noticed a number of them were down.  Some of them were pulled due to DMCA, but an overwhelming majority were pulled down by the user or the user had left altogether.  I can't really say whether this has something to do with fears over SOPA or not, but it is fairly telling of the time we live in.  I have to wonder if we're going to be seeing any more new music getting posted on youtube.  It's sad really, as youtube was probably the easiest way for me to introduce people to whatever music I was listening, as well as try music other people wanted me to hear.  Even with record labels and musicians posting music videos on youtube it's a problem because those aren't always available internationally.  Certainly this isn't a huge deal, mostly an inconvenience, but it is a small part of a much larger thing that is going to change how we all use the internet.

Nichi

Depending on how old some of those bookmarks where, they could have been stuff deleted during the whole Viacom scare about a year or two ago

Chocofreak13

ugh, don't remind me of that. ><;;

i can only hope that the youtube to mp3 converter sites stay active, since then even if a particular video wasn't available in a particular country, one could download the video into mp3 format and then send it to whoever wants it. :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Just use DamnVid, Kari-chan.  If you have a flash drive, you can run it portably as well (since I know you're not using your own comp right now).  It's also very simple to use.  To sum things up, it simply sucks less.

All that being said, I'm not even sure if "official" vids are even downloadable since they use special protocols and streaming methods.

Chocofreak13

funny thing is, i managed to use DVDVideoSoft's converter to download anime from Funimation's Channel---twice. (the first time i accidentally downloaded just the audio, not video with audio. xD)

i think it goes to show that there's loopholes in everything.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Guys, seriously.  The US needs to stay the fuck out of other soverign states' business.  Spain has just passed a SOPA-style law and Wikileaks has revealed documents showing that your government forced them into it with the threat of sanctions and trade embargoes.

http://torrentfreak.com/us-threatened-to-blacklist-spain-for-not-implementing-site-blocking-law-120105/

Good fucking job...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

so i'm considering moving to canada. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Count me in, Kari

Chocofreak13

either that or europe. canada's still a bit close to the dumbass, heavy-handed self-righteous ball of jesus-freak-pricks we call the US of A. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True. Besides, if Europe, we'd be on the same continent as the man, the myth, the Nejin >:3

Red-Machine

Quote from: PentiumMMX on January 06, 2012, 10:43:32 AM
True. Besides, if Europe, we'd be on the same continent as the man, the myth, the Nejin >:3

Don't feed the demon.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!