What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I just did some more tinkering with that desktop, and the RAM is in full working order. It turned out to be the CD drive causing the crashes, since it couldn't read the discs properly.

It's now dual-booting 3.11 and 2000, although that will change eventually...

Bella

Yesterday I used Stew's lovely laptop, Katharine. (Who also runs Vista.) ^^

I'm using a Dell PC running XP atm.

Chocofreak13

and tomorrow, you'll get to meet lambda and most of my fleet. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

That copy of Windows XP arrived, so now I'm working on the laptop for my dad again. After I finished setting up Windows (Have not activated yet, just in case), I found a major problem; I can't find any drivers that will work on this thing. So, that project is a failure, but hey; I have an unregistered copy of XP I can save for another member of the fleet.

Also, because of space concerns, Bulbasaur (My iMac G3) is being replaced with an iBook G3 I won on eBay last night; it's not only a lot smaller, but also has a faster processor. I haven't thought of a name for it, though...

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm back using BSD Unix on my IBM-alike computer.

Chocofreak13

am i the only one who thinks that between all of us, we could make a persocom? :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Choco: It's possible, although if Minefield became a part of it, it'd probably wind up being less like Chii and more like Bender

Anyway, I now officially have that desktop working for my dad; as I gather together all his usual software. Here's a rundown of it now, with a correction to it's processor speed:

Minefiels II -- The Next Generation My dad's new desktop: Custom PC
CPU: Pentium 4 (2.4Ghz)
RAM: 768MB
Graphics card: ATI Rage 128 (Practically the same thing that's in Frankenstein V3)
OS: Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2, but will be SP3 later)

After figuring out that it was a problem with the CD drive, I was able to install Windows 2000 on here; so I could upgrade to XP...although it first found 3.11 and said "I can upgrade from this", regardless of it not being mentioned on the box. Still, it's working now; as I download several years worth of patches while setting up all my dad's usual software

Chocofreak13

so it can be upgraded directly from 3.1 to XP.....

am i the only one who wants to experiment to see just how far back things will upgrade?
(WINDOWS 1 TO 7, LOL!!)
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Just got two huge ass dell servers today from a company that didn't want them.

Both have Pentium III's in them and some pretty small HDD's

Will post pics later

Nichi

@Kraus: Very nice

Anyway, here's the rundown on the most recent addition to my fleet, which I'll have pics of sometime in the next few days:

The third Macintosh: iBook G3 (Clamshell, graphite)
Name: Sonata (After OS9-tan)
Processor: PowerPC G3 (366Mhz)
RAM: 320MB
OSes: Mac OS 9.2.2, Mac OS X Panther (10.3.9)

Since Bulbasaur is on it's last legs, I decided it was time to replace it with something just as capable, but in a much smaller package to help save space. Thus, I began my search for a clamshell iBook, since I always though they looked cool; which lead to me finding an early model graphite one (Just before they added FireWire) on eBay that was only up to $45 after shipping, so I threw a bid at it. When I was outbid in the last 5 minutes, I decided to let it go even though I did have the money to keep going, since I really wanted a indigo one if possible, although graphite was my second favorite color it was available in. About an hour after the auction ended, I was send a second chance offer from the seller, since apparently something fell through with the person who outbid me. I jumped on it; netting a nice iBook that feels like it's barely used and came with the original OS 9 restore discs and a spare battery (Don't know if it's any good, but the one already in it has great battery life).

All I need for it is an AirPort card, so I can use Wifi...and to copy Nanosaur from my iMac to it

Chocofreak13

maybe it was fate! second chances on stuff like that doesn't happen very often. ^^ either way, sounds like a solid computer and a nice catch. ^^
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: PentiumMMX on August 03, 2011, 05:32:57 PM
All I need for it is an AirPort card, so I can use Wifi...and to copy Nanosaur from my iMac to it

The iBook AirPort cards don't work with WPA security, so you'll likely not be able to use it.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

@Red: Neither does my DS or Wii, which is why I have to use WEP. So, it'll work

Red-Machine

You sure?  My router uses WPA2 and my Wii can connect no problem.

I would advise against using WEP.  Easy to crack.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!