What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Was reading up on John Titor a little and this is what he said about UNIX:

UNIX has a problem in 2038.

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on June 20, 2011, 09:31:43 PM
-typing on one here, yeah,  they're nice to have, though you probably just want an iPod touch, it's a little less advanced (not shaped as well, camera not as good, etc), but it gets the job done.

Nah, I'd still want an iPhone, my current cellphone is pushing 6 years old and I've always planned on upgrading to a smartphone at some point (be it an iPhone or Android device). I'd still use it as a phone at home (since I currently don't have a landline telephone), but it would really come in handy when away from home or traveling, what with the mobile web/GPS/built in digital camera/you-name-it-it-has-it. It's like the Swiss Army Knife for the internet age. xD;

Quote from: Krizonar on June 20, 2011, 09:31:43 PM-As an owner, yes, they have. Ever since the Powerbook G4, they've been quite the masters of heat dissipation via metal, my laptop has one fan it really only uses when playing games and such. I find it amusing when people talk about their computers heat problems and then think of a Macbook Air running Crysis (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-bqbFRsgcI )and cooling itself very well. The temperature in the CPU of my laptop usually sits about 117 F (47C), yet the entire body is, overall, slightly warmer than skin. The Macbook pro is capable of reaching temperatures of 230 F (115C) with no permanent damage. That's about as hot as the engine of a Corvette sitting in traffic, gunning itself. Needless to say, I've never seen mine ever get even close to that, even when rendering HD video.

Ah-ha! I suspected Macs used their cases to dissipate heat ever since I noticed how few vents my iMac has (just that slot and the smaller grate [?] in the back), and how warm the rear of the case gets w/o overheating. But I guess seeing those laptops, with the ventless cases, really drove home the point that there's something unusual going on with their design. ^^

Because of all this talk, I downloaded a heat monitor from cnet.com so I can actually get an idea of what's going on in there. (It hasn't been on long, and core 1 is running at 88℉, core 2 is 90℉)

Chocofreak13

heh, your computer is almost at human temperature. -w-

you have to wonder, if we're eventually going to be integrated with computers, how would the computer not burn out running in our bodies? :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on June 21, 2011, 11:19:06 AM
Quote from: Krizonar on June 20, 2011, 09:31:43 PM
-typing on one here, yeah,  they're nice to have, though you probably just want an iPod touch, it's a little less advanced (not shaped as well, camera not as good, etc), but it gets the job done.

Nah, I'd still want an iPhone, my current cellphone is pushing 6 years old and I've always planned on upgrading to a smartphone at some point (be it an iPhone or Android device). I'd still use it as a phone at home (since I currently don't have a landline telephone), but it would really come in handy when away from home or traveling, what with the mobile web/GPS/built in digital camera/you-name-it-it-has-it. It's like the Swiss Army Knife for the internet age. xD;

Quote from: Krizonar on June 20, 2011, 09:31:43 PM-As an owner, yes, they have. Ever since the Powerbook G4, they've been quite the masters of heat dissipation via metal, my laptop has one fan it really only uses when playing games and such. I find it amusing when people talk about their computers heat problems and then think of a Macbook Air running Crysis (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-bqbFRsgcI )and cooling itself very well. The temperature in the CPU of my laptop usually sits about 117 F (47C), yet the entire body is, overall, slightly warmer than skin. The Macbook pro is capable of reaching temperatures of 230 F (115C) with no permanent damage. That's about as hot as the engine of a Corvette sitting in traffic, gunning itself. Needless to say, I've never seen mine ever get even close to that, even when rendering HD video.

Ah-ha! I suspected Macs used their cases to dissipate heat ever since I noticed how few vents my iMac has (just that slot and the smaller grate [?] in the back), and how warm the rear of the case gets w/o overheating. But I guess seeing those laptops, with the ventless cases, really drove home the point that there's something unusual going on with their design. ^^

Because of all this talk, I downloaded a heat monitor from cnet.com so I can actually get an idea of what's going on in there. (It hasn't been on long, and core 1 is running at 88℉, core 2 is 90℉)

-well, I'm proud to report the iPhone has all those things. I cheated during the scavenger hunt in Hawaii and used its gps.

-You'll find that desktops stay much cooler because of their, well, bulk. An iMac from your time also has 2 fans, so it can handle a lot. The laptops get hotter, mainly because mine is a tiny 13 inch that's not even 1 inch thick but still has to dissipate heat. Most parts still manage to stay far under human temperature (my SSD is at 79F, battery is at 73F, palm rest is at 75F)  though. Just the cpu and graphics go a bit above what it is outside, which is to be expected as those are the hottest parts of computers. Still, the insides of Mac laptops tend to stay around where most custom built desktop computers are recommended to stay, which is impressive.
When playing a game or rendering video or whatever, it does get a bit hotter though, naturally. My graphics card usually sits about 169 F when playing in 1080 on high settings.

Bella

Right now I'm using my cousin's Thinkpad, running Vista....

Spoiler: ShowHide
In Maryland.

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

You're using Vista? I feel sorry for you

Anyway, here's some info on the latest member of the fleet, in addition to a laptop I'm fixing up for my dad:

The New Mac: Mac Mini (Late '06 Core Duo)
Name: Fuuka (Recycling a scrapped name for 2k-tan the Desktop)
Processor: Core Duo (1.66Ghz)
RAM: 2GB

After wanting a Mac newer than a first generation iMac G3, I finally obtained one about a month ago, and in the process, discovered how awesome Snow Leopard is (After maxing out the RAM, using the leftover 1GB DDR2s leftover from maxing out Asagi a while back). It's easily the most quiet member of the fleet, which is nice for several reasons; one of the major ones being that I don't have to turn up the volume as high when watching AT4W.

The free laptop: WinBook V-Series
Processor: Celeron M (1.5Ghz)
RAM: 256MB
OS: Windows 2000 (W\O drivers; making it ugly and half functional)

I was given this laptop for free at a garage sale I went to, because apparently the screen was dead. All it turned out to be was that it had no RAM at all, nor a hard drive; which I quickly fixed using parts from another one I had lying around, which has lead to my journey to fix this up for my dad. It can now turn on, but it really needs XP; since 2000 sadly won't cut it (There aren't any compatible drivers for that version) and it can't boot Ubuntu (It has a kernel panic before it reaches the desktop)

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on July 24, 2011, 09:08:45 AM
Quote from: Bella on July 24, 2011, 08:51:57 AMrunning Vista....

Oh how violated you must feel...

Uh.......... why would I? If it works fine for my purposes, I could care less what OS I'm using.

Red-Machine

Says the woman who called Vista an "unstable bloated piece of shit".
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

can we not do this?

@pentium: can the laptop handle XP? hardware wise, i mean. if not, you might just scour the net for some drivers...might not be able to run the world, but they're bound to be out there. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Said laptop originally had XP on it according to the box (Which it had), and that's the only version they offer drivers for. I'm now waiting on the copy I bought on Amazon to arrive, since I can't figure out how to crack it without downloading shady software that's likely a virus in disguise

NejinOniwa

Cracking XP is, fyi, the easiest thing since stealing candy from a crippled 5-year old...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

If it is, why can't I find a guide on how to do that, which doesn't require shady software? For that matter, why isn't it as simple at deleting the activation program?

Krizonar

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 25, 2011, 09:18:31 PMFor that matter, why isn't it as simple at deleting the activation program?
How do you think I got Windows 7?

Chocofreak13

i got windows 7 from my brother, who downloaded it and slipped the cracked product key into the cd. i can use the disk as many times as i like without worry. :3
click to make it bigger