What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Half of my post was at Pentium...talking about Pentiums, the rest was to you.

So my post was to both of you in general.

Nichi

To be completely honest, the Pentium 4 was not that great; as exciting as it was for me to have a PC with a Pentium 4 HT that I dreamed of when I bought the TARDIS, it was annoying how it ran hot enough to make my room feel like an oven. Factor in that summer being rough because of my mom refusing to turn on the air conditioner, and it lead up to that PC's fan dieing; which paved the way for 2k-tan, which I took special precautions when building to make sure she could handle the heat.

Also, I have no experience with Core series processors prior to the Sandy Bridge i7, so I can't say much about them

Krizonar

I've also heard rumors that the Pentium III is actually better than the Pentium IV, could an expert on Pentiums such as yourself confirm or deny that?

They are good processors, call em old all you want but...
I had a choice of getting this computer (C2D) or an iMac (i7). (this may have been influenced by my more liking of laptops also, however)

Nichi

I would have to agree with that fact; the 4 may have had raw clock speed on it's side, but the 3 was superior in everything else (The fact that Intel retired the NetBurst core (What the Pentium 4 used) in favor of bringing back the P6 core (What the Pentium 3 uses) and expanding on it should say enough right there)

Krizonar

I like how you're like me, except, me in the PC world.

Anyway, I'm currently using a small cute box setup for when Katarina comes over called a Mac Mini that has lots of 2s.
2 GHZ
2 GB ram
120 GB HD

lolz

Alex_Reetz

windows me laptop specs:
P3 800mhz
512mb ram
4gb Hard Drive
Presario 1200

Red-Machine

Quote from: Krizonar on June 02, 2011, 07:08:17 PMthat require you to give it ((it being, that thing OSX says is actually a program)) your admin password or it can't do anything, EVEN if you download it

Mac Defender is a drive-by download (i.e. the user has no choice in the matter, it downloads all by itself on an infected website).  The original version of it required the user to enter their admin password, and you'd be surprised how many Mac users just do it without thinking as a matter of course.  The latest versions bypass the admin password prompt alltogether, installing themselves without ANY user interaction at all.

So regardless of how savvy you are and how you check what you download and never enter your admin password unless you're sure, you'd still get nailed by it if you ever came across an infected website.  There's no way around it.  Apple's TRIED to patch it out, but within hours of the new update it was installing itself on people's machines again.  It's a game of cat & mouse at it's finest.

@ Pentium: Yes, at the same clock speeds, a Pentium III would be faster than a Pentium 4.  That Core i7 you're using right now is nothing more than an enhanced, multi-core Pentium M, which was nothing more than a streamlined Pentium III for laptops.  I'd like to see what an overclocked, liquid hydrogen-cooled PIII could do in today's market. :3

EDIT: According to Windows Weekly, the guy heading up the Windows team has a "don't demo it until it's ready" policy, which means that this IS the Windows 8 you will buy in stores.  I've also seen a lot of people say things like "Microsoft's FINALLY showing off their entry into the tablet market." They're forgetting, MICROSOFT INVENTED THE TABLET, DAMMIT!  There was even a tablet version of 3.1 for chrissake!  They own the party, so they can take as long as they damn well like to show up to it. :3

Here's the episode in question in case anyone's interested:

http://twit.cachefly.net/video/ww/ww0211/ww0211_h264b_864x480_500.mp4
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Quote from: Red-Machine on June 03, 2011, 03:03:46 AM
The latest versions bypass the admin password prompt alltogether, installing themselves without ANY user interaction at all.
And even this 'dangerous' version makes you have to have "open 'safe' files automatically upon download" checked. If you don't, it's dead already and you'll notice a weird file in your downloads whenever you check it.

But wait! Then, even if you have that checked and it does open up by itself, while you don't have to put in your password for the type of installation it uses, a window opens up and you have to click 'continue' to install something.

I'd call that user interaction.

I'd also like to add that even though we seem to argue a lot, you seem pretty respectful and I thank you for that. I've definitely had arguments similar to this one where the other person really didn't keep a cool head.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Krizonar on June 03, 2011, 04:34:47 AMAnd even this 'dangerous' version makes you have to have "open 'safe' files automatically upon download" checked. If you don't, it's dead already and you'll notice a weird file in your downloads whenever you check it.

But wait! Then, even if you have that checked and it does open up by itself, while you don't have to put in your password for the type of installation it uses, a window opens up and you have to click 'continue' to install something.

I'd call that user interaction.

I'd also like to add that even though we seem to argue a lot, you seem pretty respectful and I thank you for that. I've definitely had arguments similar to this one where the other person really didn't keep a cool head.

You actually have to go in and un-check the "Open safe files...", and I believe that it installs silently now.  The user has no clue until it's installed.

I always try to keep things civil, unless the other person goes on a rant at me...

Krizonar

I'll concede that point, I'm assuming they'll make it un-checked by default or remove it entirely in the next Safari, as it's pretty pointless.

And no, from what I've read, it doesn't install silently, unless you click that continue, however, if you do, it then it uses that permission from that continue to install another program silently. Neither of the programs are actually dangerous... though, they just nag at you until you comply/delete them.

Another interesting tidbit is PPC Macs are completely immune to it, it can't even install with their permission.
I knew there was a reason I loved PPC more...

Nichi

I always wondered why they stopped using PowerPC processors in Macs; switching to Intel didn't seem to have much of an effect on pricing from what I could see

Chocofreak13

TL;DR.

*rolls eyes* well EXCUUUUSE ME, princess. sooo-ree for trying to tell you to be cautious (which should be an attitude you take with computers and beyond). i love you all, but part of me hopes you get a virus, so you'll get knocked off your high horse. you're no better than someone else just because you use a mac and someone else uses a PC. ><;

.....now that i've gotten the bitchy out, still using windows 7, sister uses xp, grandparents use xp.

only mac i've ever bought (only computer, for that matter) is my ipod. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 03, 2011, 12:36:00 PMyou're no better than someone else just because you use a mac and someone else uses a PC. ><;

No. No OS makes you a "better" person. Unless that OS is God or charity or goodwill toward all mankind or something, lol.

However, I do believe my computer is *better than most*. Not because it is a Mac, but because it runs Unix. (I would take the same stance if I used Solaris, GNU/Linux, OpenBSD, so on and so forth).

(This is my next signature, lol)

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on June 03, 2011, 02:14:23 PM

(This is my next signature, lol)

If you do, I will kill it with fire.

Aurora Borealis

@Pentium: One of the reasons the Power PC stopped being used in Macs because Apple was never able to make a Powerbook G5 because no G5 chip could run cool enough in a laptop, and the last Power Mac G5 model had to be water-cooled. At that point, continuing the Power PC was unsustainable.

It's really too bad because I like the PPC Macs. :(