What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 23, 2012, 07:30:31 PM
sad that this has happened to a computer you used to speak so highly of. :[

hopefully nimue and asagi will be able to coexist, but i get the feeling that if computers can feel, asagi will feel nothing but resentment towards nimue. :\

this opens up an entire thread worth of philosophical discussion; "what do your os tans think of you?"

Chocofreak13

idk how mine would think of me. in my case, it seems like the type of thing where an outside perspective would be best, like how i'd like people to make a changeling character of me. :3
i dunno how my computers would think of me. :\
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

okay, i'll give it a shot:

TK (XP Home): "Hello Again, Master. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrre weeeeeeeeeee doooooinnnnggggg stuuuuff toooooday? Looking forward to it!" (slows at random intervals/when starting up/have more than 3 programs open/have more than 5 tabs open or a video tab open; otherwise solid)

Shitty (XP Pro) 'SCRRRRRRRRREEEEEWWWW YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU BIIIIIIIIIIIITCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH" (i was running XP Pro SP3 on less than half a gig of ram, so while it ran, it ran piss poor. it was very slow and froze a lot.)

High School Computers (XP Pro) 'Hello There! Here to do some work today?' (considering they HAD to work, i ran into very few problems. that said, the problems i ran into were bad ones. >>; )

Speedy (7) 'Ohayo Gozaimasu, Kari-sama! ' (Speedy was the best computer i've ever used, even better than a desktop owned by a rich jerk of a former friend that had tricked both his desktop and the "utility" desktop out so they flew. i miss her so much. ;^; )

Tanky (Windows 98) 'Да, хозяин? что я могу вам помочь?' ("Yes, Master? What can I help you with?") (when it was in vogue to make -tans of our PCs, i pictured Tanky as a russian millitant woman. i say russian because Tanky is hearty, tough, and no-nonsense, which for some reason reminded me of russia. Tanky is very strong, but knows her limits, and makes sure i do, too. she can go on all of the sites i like (facebook, OSC, youtube), though she can only go on one at a time (since while she can use opera, IE6 is significantly less taxing on her). sadly, she can't use skype; if she could i'd likely use her quite a bit more.)

Downstairs PC (Vista): 3 Years Ago: Hey There! Let's do this thing! / Now: HERPDERPHERPDERPDERPHERPHERPDERP
(it was a lot more useful in the past. time seems to have taken its toll on the early vista release. i think if i could clean her up (aka remove the 5 antivirus programs my dad installed and all the other comcast-reccomended crap he put on there and fix her up with something useful, and upgrade her to 7, she MIGHT have a chance at a new life. but that's only if i can get my dad to not  have a fucking coniption if i touch the keyboard.)
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on June 17, 2012, 09:55:39 PM
The people who have most influenced me in my favorable view of Dell:
-Red; who owns several Dells, is also an Übernerd, and on my Board of Computer Advisers.

Awww Bells, I'm flattered.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 17, 2012, 10:31:08 PMalso, while i'm not meaning to spark a flamewar, most of the computer advice i've gotten from red involves completely scrapping what i have and replacing it. [there, i said it.] maybe the Dells they have in the UK are better quality or something. all i know is that i'm one of the people who can't afford to start over. there's a reason all of my computers have been free or near-free. :\

That's because it was the best option, financially and common-sense-wise.  I don't tell people to junk their shit for giggles.

Actually Bells, Dells ARE better built over here.  My buddy Ray says every Dell desktop he sees in the States is all plastic fantastic, with barely any metal.  Whereas over here, they're all build out of solid steel, with barely any plastic. :\
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

SEEEEEEE? i told ya, bells. >>;;

that said, i suppose i should have asked for your second-best option, then. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I might as well join Kari and Aurora and do another thing like that, focusing on a few random members of the fleet :3

2k-tan the Desktop
Windows 7 Pro: "Hello, Penti-sama. What would you like to do?"
MS-DOS 5.0: "What's that? What's that? Oh; you're the lady from the test. Hi! :3"

Asagi (7 Home Premium): "This whole time, it was one little setting for the touchpad that was enabled for some reason that caused all of these problems between us? *facepalm*"

Nimue
XP Pro: "I'm sorry, Dave; I cannot let you do that"
7 Pro: "What's this 'smart card reader' thing that's implanted into me?"

Frankenstein V3: "I have XP and 2000. I can do anything with my ladies by my side"

Fuuka (Snow Leopard): "You need to take your TV back, so you'll spend more time back here with me"

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on June 24, 2012, 04:22:48 AM
Awww Bells, I'm flattered.

It's true. :D

Quote from: Red-Machine on June 24, 2012, 04:22:48 AMActually Bells, Dells ARE better built over here.  My buddy Ray says every Dell desktop he sees in the States is all plastic fantastic, with barely any metal.  Whereas over here, they're all build out of solid steel, with barely any plastic. :\

Hm, interesting to know. Are there any differences besides the frame/case construction, or is that mostly it?

Quote from: PentiumMMX on June 24, 2012, 04:43:29 PMAsagi (7 Home Premium): "This whole time, it was one little setting for the touchpad that was enabled for some reason that caused all of these problems between us? *facepalm*"

Say what?

Nichi

Yeah. There was a setting in the options menu for Asagi's touchpad that locks it so you can only start movements from dead center on the pad (Ignoring input entirely if you start from an edge and move, which I often do a lot); something that's normally disabled on every laptop I've used, but was somehow enabled during prep for my trip without me knowing >_>;

I'll be honest, I didn't even know that option existed prior, until I was setting up the touchpad drivers on Nimue and noticed that in the menu

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on June 24, 2012, 05:10:41 PMHm, interesting to know. Are there any differences besides the frame/case construction, or is that mostly it?

He says they still use the BTX layout, which is a pain for upgrades.  Ours only ever used that for one series, then they went back to standard ATX.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Noted. If I buy a Dell, I'll import one from England -w-
Disregard that Dell's HQ is practically in my backyard; import one of their laptops from another country

Chocofreak13

hm, if i can get my hands on a dell from england, i'd try it. maybe it'd make them worth buying if i could import. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

You, sir and ma'am, are displaying tremendous amounts of computer hipsterism.

This is coming from a self-proclaimed vintage computer nerd and Mac OSX BSD Unix lover.

Nichi

Well, I do love NEC; which is totally underground in these parts :3

Also, I briefly considered buying a ThinkPad I found fairly cheap on eBay, simply for the AZERTY keyboard layout (The only person I know who could borrow my laptop and not get frustrated by the non-QWERTY layout would likely be Pit ^_^; )

Chocofreak13

funky keyboard? sign me up, lol. -w-

@bella: i don't consider it being a "hipster" to want a PC that's not a hunk of plastic shit. if i had no option other than a dell, i'd import it from england simply because i'd want to make sure i wasn't throwing my cash down the crapper. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I'm diving into the obscure this morning, as I prepare to install BeOS in Virtualbox. Hopefully it'll work, given that it's not officially listed as an option

EDIT:
Ok, scratch that. I can't get it working, because apparently it's supposed to be more than one disc, and I only have one disc image. That, or the disc image itself is damaged >_<;