What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

did you photoshop that, bells? did you....?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Bella: xD Nice pic

Also, if you hunt around, you can get your hands on an early model MacBook running Snow Leopard for around $500 (Possibly less if you really hunt around). It'd likely be more comparable to Fuuka than Eve, but hey; it'd still be a great laptop :3

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on June 19, 2012, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Krizonar on June 18, 2012, 04:49:04 PM
Quote from: Bella on June 18, 2012, 10:13:58 AM
I'd love to get an Apple laptop (and as I wrote before, it's the only modern brand I'd feel 100% confident in buying), but I just don't have the money for a new OR used one. =____=
What is your price range?

Ideally <$600, though I'd be willing to go over depending on the model/condition and my/my dad's current financial condition.
"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk;"

I have a lightly used mid 2010 Macbook Pro in 10/10 condition with palm rest and keyboard guards I'm willing to part with for $650.

Nichi

So guys, I won a new laptop on eBay. I'll explain everything after a rundown of the specs:

HP nw9440
Processor: Core 2 Duo (2.2Ghz)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 100GB

So, this morning I woke up and made the decision to get myself another IBM-compatible laptop; to use temporarily while Asagi is down (Since Sara doesn't quite have the muscle to play an episode of Nostalgia Critic). After a search of the handful of places in my hometown that deal in used computers turned up fruitless, I turned to eBay, and after digging around and constantly being outbid on everything I tried my hand at, I ended up with this laptop for $180; much cheaper than paying $200 for a Pentium III based laptop at one of the pawn shops I went to this morning.

As for this laptop's purpose, it's a temporary replacement for Asagi; if I successfully replace Asagi's touchpad, this laptop will likely be given to my dad as a Christmas gift, while if I end up making things worse, Asagi will retire and this will take her place. What this laptop's ultimate fate is rides on what happens to Asagi after I begin repair work on her...

Chocofreak13

looks good, dude. :0
hope everything turns out well. :3
have you given him/her a name yet?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Not yet, but I'll think of one soon. All I know for sure is "Igasa" (Asagi spelled backwards) and "Tim P. O'Rarry" are not going to be used ^_^;

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on June 19, 2012, 04:33:03 PM
"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk;"

I have a lightly used mid 2010 Macbook Pro in 10/10 condition with palm rest and keyboard guards I'm willing to part with for $650.

I'll think about it, but I wouldn't be able to buy until later this summer in all likelihood, since my money is pretty much tied up atm.

Nichi

So, a name has been decided for this laptop; using the best way to decide on anything.

As a result, this laptop's name is now Nimue; after the AI of Linkara's spaceship on AT4W. Also, I just like the way it sounds :3

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

So guys, Nimue has landed :3

So far, initial thoughts:
- Being that Nimue is a business-oriented laptop, she feels sturdy like a ThinkPad. I like this
- I don't get what it is, but Windows XP and wifi do not mix. It does support it apparently, but every laptop I've ever used that has XP always has issues connecting to my wireless network, and sadly, Nimue is no different in this regard it seems It's working now, so I guess I entered my password wrong. I might replace XP with 7 at a later date, since I know this laptop can handle it. She could also run Windows 2000; HP offering drivers for me to do so, which is tempting...
- She has a fingerprint scanner, for if I want to be extra secure (Unlikely, but hey)
- She is the first member of the fleet to use an nVidia chipset

The thought of fixing up Asagi and giving her to dad, and keeping Nimue for myself, is tempting...or faking Asagi's death so I can put her into storage as a spare >_>;

Chocofreak13

sad that this has happened to a computer you used to speak so highly of. :[

hopefully nimue and asagi will be able to coexist, but i get the feeling that if computers can feel, asagi will feel nothing but resentment towards nimue. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah. I wish I didn't have to replace Asagi on such terms, but the issues 2 weeks ago left me with no choice ;_;

I'm keeping her around, at least. I plan on attempting to replace her touchpad once I have a bit more money, and then comes the decision of which one to keep and which one to give to dad...

Chocofreak13

good luck with that. i know that i wouldn't be able to part with any of mine (please note that TK is not mine).
click to make it bigger