Project WIKI

Started by NewYinzer, November 07, 2006, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteSo true! That was a spark of genius on your part.

Well someone would actually call that pretentious given the kind of -tans I'm queuing up.

*hack* *cough cough cough* OS/2 *cough cough* DR-DOS PTS-DOS *cough cough*

Wow, what a coughing spell,... better go see a doctor.... -v-'

BTW, thanks for putting up QDOS-chan.  For a moment there I thought I forgot about her.  ^^;

ROM-DOS and FreeDOS can wait till later.  -v-

QuoteI think this has been brought up before. The only problem I foresee is that we have relative little info now, and spreading it across all the OS X-tans will either be very repetitive, or filled with technical info. Doubtless though, you have a plan. I'm sure you'll pull it off!

Precisely...!  ^v^
C-chan ni Omakase!!!  ^v^

I do have a plan sort of, but I should clarify that they really won't be very long articles.  ^__^
And only a few (such as Panther) will actually mention other alternative designs, since alternative OSX-tan designs are a little broad based.  -v-'

I'll probably mention them when I revise Generic Mac's page a bit.  -.-

QuoteWhat do you think about this for the Safari avi?

Well I'm not gonna say I just "like" it, cause like is a word for wusses in this particular instance.  -v-
I L-O-V-E it!!!  ^V^

And I love more that you actually came across a Safari-tan pic, cause I was a little worried that we'd have trouble finding pictures of her.  ^^;

So far we're doing good,... if for no other reason, the Wiki is definitely making the more obscure -tans more visible than ever!  ^___^

Aurora Borealis

OMG! A SAFARI-TAN! This Safari user is most pleased! ;010

At first I was afraid there wasn't one because I've seen -tans for nearly all browsers except for Safari. Geez, the Mac users were getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the OS-tans (and related characters)!

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"I was a little worried that we'd have trouble finding pictures of her.

Funny, I think I followed a link on the wiki ^.^

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Geez, the Mac users were getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the OS-tans (and related characters)!

Yeah, that and the computer industry in general... Ã,¬____Ã,¬

Quote from: "C-Chan"Well I'm not gonna say I just "like" it, cause like is a word for wusses in this particular instance. -v-
I L-O-V-E it!!! ^V^

Arigato Gozaimasu! That is probably the best of the few things I've contributed! Though your praise is quite disproportionate.

And now, onto the Subject! ^__~

I've taken your chibi renditions of the DOS-tans and made them avis for temporary place holders until you finish up whatever you were doing on them. Feel free to critique, modify, or reject any of them.

-Tsu

C-Chan

QuoteOMG! A SAFARI-TAN! This Safari user is most pleased!

At first I was afraid there wasn't one because I've seen -tans for nearly all browsers except for Safari. Geez, the Mac users were getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the OS-tans (and related characters)!

That's why it's up to you to bridge the gap. ^v^

QuoteYeah, that and the computer industry in general... Ã,¬____Ã,¬

Well like I said in another thread, the hardware industry hates Mac because it's frugal on the resources and generally last longer.  WinRotted PCs demand more resources and break down faster, hence the perfect revenue maker.  ^___^

And that won't change until people know what they're buying themselves into.  -v-

Surely enough people switch to Mac, there'll be more incentive for companies to release more Mac-compatible software, hardware and [especially] games.  ^__^

QuoteArigato Gozaimasu! That is probably the best of the few things I've contributed! Though your praise is quite disproportionate.

And now, onto the Subject! ^__~

I've taken your chibi renditions of the DOS-tans and made them avis for temporary place holders until you finish up whatever you were doing on them. Feel free to critique, modify, or reject any of them.

Don't make me get the fan now.  `v'
Nah, just kidding.  These avis are also fantastic, and I appreciate your willingness to look after my OS-tans better than I have myself.  ^^;

They look perfect and,... at the rate I'm going,... I might as well have their avi's stay as such since I won't be able to get to them any time soon.  -.-
If you really think about it, they're already chibis so I wonder why I even need to redrawn them for Wiki avis.  ^v^'
Better use the time you saved me to draw full-sized versions of them.  ^___^

The only think I might need to change is the position of DR-DOS-tan's mouth (my fault, not yours ^__^).  Looking at it again, I seem to have shifted it over too far to her right.  Not terribly noticeable on the original pic, but it sticks out when she's shrunk down to a 100x100.  Since I have the original SVG, I can easily fix that myself.  ^v^

(BTW, pop quiz question!!! Why are DR-DOS-tan's pigtails shaped in the odd position that they are?  First right answer get 40,000 points!!)  ^v^

PTS-DOS-tan looks so much cuter in a 100x100.  ^.^

Excellent choice in colors, btw.

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"They look perfect

Hah, if anything is "perfect" in them, it's your drawings. There's not much else that I actually do, so any imperfections throw the "Perfect-ness" average of my work way off. ^.^

Quote from: "C-Chan"Excellent choice in colors, btw.

Arigato Senpai! I fussed over those a lot, and feared they were the worst part!

Quote from: "C-Chan"BTW, pop quiz question!!! Why are DR-DOS-tan's pigtails shaped in the odd position that they are?

This is a total shot in the dark, but do they signify IDR, seeing as the developers were originally called Inergalactic Digital Reasearch? (See Image)

Much Later:

Before I gave up for the day, I managed to make two more avis (though I can't verify their validity, so many variations O.o)

I'm lost on what to do about PS3-tan though. I've found at least six different forms, none of which appear again X.X

Hope those are OK...
-Tsu

C-Chan

QuoteHah, if anything is "perfect" in them, it's your drawings. There's not much else that I actually do, so any imperfections throw the "Perfect-ness" average of my work way off. ^.^

I should probably warn you that I have a bit of an Ed Wood complex.  So the ease with which anyone is able to please me is quite legendary.  -v-'

QuoteArigato Senpai! I fussed over those a lot, and feared they were the worst part!

Don't make me get the fan now... `v'
But yes, the choice of color is really up to the users discretion,... however, a good rule of thumb is to select the color based on the following list of priorities:

1) Eye Color

and if too uninteresting or if it clashes with clothing

2) Personality

and if that too would be uninteresting or clashes with the clothing

3) Color Coordination.  ^v^'

And don't be afraid to use patterns either,... you may have noticed I experimented with patterned backgrounds on some of them (e.g., the old Mac OSes, Ubuntu-tan, etc.)

QuoteThis is a total shot in the dark, but do they signify IDR, seeing as the developers were originally called Inergalactic Digital Reasearch? (See Image)

HOLY MOTHER OF CRAP, YOU'RE RIGHT!!!  @.@

I'm feeling kinda small since I drew them in the general shape of "DR" (= "doctor", just like from the DR-DOS logo).  However, you did stumble upon a damn good (and damn coincidental) easter egg.  ^^'

I didn't know that Digital Research formerly had the "Intergalactic" part, and it actually never occurred to me that CP/M was renamed "DR-DOS" because of "Digital Research"!  ^v^'

Congratulations!!!  ^__^
I'm gonna bump the reward to 1,000,000 C-chan points and throw in a free "Genius" tatoo so you can put that somewhere.  -v-

QuoteBefore I gave up for the day, I managed to make two more avis (though I can't verify their validity, so many variations O.o)

I'm lost on what to do about PS3-tan though. I've found at least six different forms, none of which appear again X.X

PS3-tan is a lost cause....  -v-
360-tan,... don't really care for the system, so that one's fine by me.  Might try asking the Captain for his opinion, since he's a 360 fanboy.  -v-

The Wii, on the other hand, is my turf -- and while I do like the avi, I think we should give credit to the first serious attempt I've seen to canonize one particular design.  ^__^

Check the Game Console Gallery folder and count how many times one particular design appears.  ^__^

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=26

To me, that cutie should be the true Wii-tan (and her underlings, Wiimote-chan and Nunchuck-chan).

Added after 6 hours 10 minutes:

BTW, noticed you haven't uploaded your avi's to the Wiki....

Want me to handle it?  ^__^

Tsubashi

Quote from: "C-Chan"I drew them in the general shape of "DR"

LOL! I thought that the very first time I saw her, but I didn't think you'd offer 40,000 C-Chan Points for something that obvious...
I ended up asking around and found out about the "Intergalactic" thingie.
Anyway, for a wrong answer, that's pretty nifty!

QuoteBTW, noticed you haven't uploaded your avi's to the Wiki....

Want me to handle it? ^__^

Sorry, I was busy and forgot! Sure, you can do it. I don't care if other people upload my stuff.

Off-Topic: ShowHide

Hooray! I'm Finally a Mac Rank!
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

That is indeed the best 360 tan around.  However.. C-Chan, as the wiki mod your soppose to be.. dont you think you should try to forget your bias adittudes when writing articles :P  We are trying to collect fair and full info.. not "this is the info we like"

but to that extent.. if you want to see a standardized consel tan, you have to pick one you like and support it.  I may just have to draw a few 360 tan pictures and put them on waka just to keep that design in the spot light and develope interest from other people
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Tsubashi

Arigato CaptBrenden-sama! I don't really know a lot about the console-tans, so I'm glad I guessed correctly. Seeing how little I know, however, perhaps you could write 360-tan's article?
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

I can only tell you about the system.  I have no idea about the tan.. there is one picture of that design with explinations of all her parts.. but its in japanese and I cant translate it. You would be better off asking the pig for help with that, tho i can direct you to the picture.

C-Chan

QuoteHooray! I'm Finally a Mac Rank!

Sou sou,... that reminds me when I was a Sonata-san for a while.  It was shortly after that I mysteriously switched to just "pig".  Wonder why....  -v-

QuoteThat is indeed the best 360 tan around. However.. C-Chan, as the wiki mod your soppose to be.. dont you think you should try to forget your bias adittudes when writing articles :P We are trying to collect fair and full info.. not "this is the info we like"

Haha!  Moot point, cause technically speaking I haven't written any real articles yet (this is still a beta after all).  -v-
Besides, if you remember from the Annex, when it comes to fact-finding I'm very unbiased.  Hell, I left my own girls out in the rain while I serviced those spoiled Windows-tans first!  ^0^

Besides, most of what's on the Wiki right now are stubs -- although if we go Gold and we still don't get many editors, they'll probably stay stubs for a bit longer without contributors.  -.-

Quotebut to that extent.. if you want to see a standardized consel tan, you have to pick one you like and support it. I may just have to draw a few 360 tan pictures and put them on waka just to keep that design in the spot light and develope interest from other people

And that's just preaching to the choir.  -v-

Truth be told, I want to draw that aforementioned Wii-tan design (although I've lost count of how many things I want to draw).  

QuoteArigato CaptBrenden-sama! I don't really know a lot about the console-tans, so I'm glad I guessed correctly. Seeing how little I know, however, perhaps you could write 360-tan's article?

You should add a stub in for 360-tan, ya know.  `v'
It doesn't have to be perfect,... it just needs to get the ball rolling.

QuoteI can only tell you about the system. I have no idea about the tan.. there is one picture of that design with explinations of all her parts.. but its in japanese and I cant translate it. You would be better off asking the pig for help with that, tho i can direct you to the picture.

Cop out!  ^v^
But well, you are the forum Mod, so I guess I'll let it slide since you have way too much on your plate looking after the popularity surge.  ^^'

In the case of the game console-tans, you're best bet is to describe various designs of the Console-tan that have appeared and also discuss a little about the system itself, and why certain features may or may not appear on the girls' personifcation.

With a little creativity, we can come up with something informative that's not very informative to begin with.

The problem here is time,... and the best measure to beat time is to get more hands on the project.  -v-

CaptBrenden

Like I said, i can only asume what prompted the character design.  Since you are the onlyone on this site that seems to translate japanese writing redily you can read that picture and decide what it says.. cus its quite obvios it was put out there to explain the tan.

Your rank got changed to PIG cus you are a PIG, PIG.  

As for the Wiki, I havent even looked at it yet. Of the top of my head Im not sure how to access it.  I have no idea what is in it or how accurate your posting to it is.   All I can tell is your general aditude about things.. and its been very baised so far :P  This is what I base my opinion on.  If that was wroung, sorry. Ill use less salt when I cook you.  

I know what you mean about the drawing tho.. mine has gone by the wayside.. but I think it was because i had too much time on my hands.. but even after just one day on the job Ive come home energized and inspired. Hell i know you dont venture out of this section of the forum, but look around at my posts today.. some of them are getting almost to Palm-tan level. Im on a ranting roll!  Tho this all has reminded me I still need to do that 360 with XPS-tan.. and some XP in there. tho I refuse to draw the bastardized me/xp cross over that is soppose to be XP media.. ill just draw regular XP thanks. Or Vista since shes a FUCKING NINJA!  If XPS-tan is done in a oriental style, the threee will fit for the picture, and the three are still compatible with one another (which was the point of the pic.. since the 360 is kinda lezy only wanting to talk to cirtain individuals.. shes a XP/vista fan girl.)  Vista needs more coverage now too since its her time in the spotlight.

ZShadow

Theres an alternate XP MCE too... X3

C-Chan

QuoteLike I said, i can only asume what prompted the character design. Since you are the onlyone on this site that seems to translate japanese writing redily you can read that picture and decide what it says.. cus its quite obvios it was put out there to explain the tan.

Awww man,... my "to do" pile is already on the verge of toppling over....  -v-'

*sigh*

Oh well, I'll see what I can do when the time comes.  ^__^
Like with Ubuntu-tan, going the extra mile to do some serious research yields some sweet improvisation.  ^__^

QuoteYour rank got changed to PIG cus you are a PIG, PIG.

I am?  Funny, I always thought I was an albatross....  Ã,¬.Ã,¬

QuoteAs for the Wiki, I havent even looked at it yet. Of the top of my head Im not sure how to access it. I have no idea what is in it or how accurate your posting to it is. All I can tell is your general aditude about things.. and its been very baised so far :P This is what I base my opinion on. If that was wroung, sorry. Ill use less salt when I cook you.

AHA!!!  I knew it.  ^___^
I thought it seemed like you were making stuff up about me writing articles left and right.

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  I wish.... ^v^')

Yeah of course I'm biased here cause this is still the forum.

Which = YOUR turf, which means I have to be biased to make your job here more interesting.  ^.^

Once I enter the holy sanctuary of the wiki, however, the ball of civility is on the other court.  -v-
Big reason why the old "List of OS-tan" discussion panel was relatively dry and professional compared to what's posted here.  ^___^

Cook me you shant, but if you want to at least dream of that prospect, nothing beats cayenne pepper and dry lime.  Gives the same salty-like flavor without the blood pressure risk.... -v-

QuoteI know what you mean about the drawing tho.. mine has gone by the wayside.. but I think it was because i had too much time on my hands.. but even after just one day on the job Ive come home energized and inspired. Hell i know you dont venture out of this section of the forum, but look around at my posts today.. some of them are getting almost to Palm-tan level. Im on a ranting roll! Tho this all has reminded me I still need to do that 360 with XPS-tan.. and some XP in there. tho I refuse to draw the bastardized me/xp cross over that is soppose to be XP media.. ill just draw regular XP thanks. Or Vista since shes a FUCKING NINJA! If XPS-tan is done in a oriental style, the threee will fit for the picture, and the three are still compatible with one another (which was the point of the pic.. since the 360 is kinda lezy only wanting to talk to cirtain individuals.. shes a XP/vista fan girl.) Vista needs more coverage now too since its her time in the spotlight.

Yeah, I would like to see more of your work.  Especially XPS-tan, since you could have an exclusive article set up at the Wiki (assuming it grows large enough to cover EVERY tech-tan we can find....  ^v^).

QuoteTheres an alternate XP MCE too... X3

Haha!  And you carry around the reminder of that with you.  ^.^
Now aren't ya glad that avi was around?  ^__^
[even used her as the PSD template... ^v^]

We should consider adding an amendment to the XP ME article featuring XP MCE, since after all I do have the picture available in the Avatar Gallery.

And speaking of which, I finally sorted the pictures, btw.  ^__^
Settled for an alpha-order sort, since I didn't feel like repeating the same format as with the List of OS-tans.  Also made the other Wii-tan I was talking about,...

...but I uploaded both since we should try to keep as many versions of these OS-tans as possible.  

Besides, upon closer inspection, that other Wii-tan was actually a Wiimote.  ^___^'

Tsubashi

QuoteAnd speaking of which, I finally sorted the pictures, btw. ^__^
Settled for an alpha-order sort, since I didn't feel like repeating the same format as with the List of OS-tans.

I noticed! Great job, Suki!

QuoteBesides, upon closer inspection, that other Wii-tan was actually a Wiimote. ^___^'

Oops, that'd be my fault. I ought to start thinking things through more...
*Bows Apologetically*

Sorry I haven't been very productive these past few days, I've been working on some pet projects of mine. Today, however, I made two more avis. IE and Netscape!

Tell me what to fix and I should be able to get to it.
*Bows Humbly*

Oh! and in other news, The Bank of C-Chan issued it's first status report! Go See!
http://ostan-collections.net/topic-87-2580.html
-Tsu