Animated XP-tan desktop?

Started by Rock843, September 10, 2006, 05:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock843

Greetings! ;hi

I've recently found out about these OS girls and I have to say that the whole idea is very interesting. Poking around in various places, I found this and I was curious if anybody could tell me about it? Being that everybody here is very fond of the OS women, I figured this would be the best place to inquire.

It looks like some sort of XP-tan desktop animated widget or something like that, but I can't be sure. Any idea's where to find out more about it? Here's what it looks like. Thanks very much! ;010

NewYinzer

I think I've seen that before...somewhere. I don't think it's an animated desktop, probably a little animation in front of a screenshot of a desktop. By the way, feel free to introduce yourself at the Member Introduction Thread.

Pitkin

Yes, the one I've seen was indeed a flash file that presented a typical WinXP desktop in the background, and WinXP-tan greeting the 'master', telling how happy she is to be working with him, or something like that. The WinXP-tan in the small animation above is the same as in the flash file, but moves differently from the original one I saw, and this one also features Japanese kana moving on the screen which didn't happen in the flash.

Interesting, I'd say. If not a fully operating animated desktop, at least someone's added more into the original flash according to the new find. :D

Hild-sama

I want this with 95-tan... but i use XP  ;015

95Direct

Quote from: "Hild-sama"I want this with 95-tan... but i use XP  ;015
Ditto, though I would expect 95-tan would do some sort of moves with her Katana that would make Yoda jelous ;).

C-Chan

Yo all!   ^__^

Even though that is an animated GIF, it shouldn't be impossible to convert that to a real animated desktop using one of the handful of 3rd-party software tools that claim to do just that:

http://www.download.com/Animated-Desktop/3000-2346_4-10224459.html?tag=lst-0-1

Animated desktops themselves aren't a built-in feature in any desktop that I know of, although perhaps that's where that Aero-thingie for Vista comes in.  I do recall some point in the 90's where animated desktop icons were being marketed (especially on old Gateway systems), but I'm sure there's a reason why they didn't catch on.  ^__^

In anycase, if the tool above works for you, who's to say we can't animate our own OS-tan backgrounds.  Flash tweening and a little assistance from Poser could yield acceptable results without having to resort to individual frame-drawing by hand.  -v-

95Direct

I know you can do the same with Yahoo Wigets (Formaly known as Konfabulator) and StarDock's DesktopX.

Speeking about animated OS-tans. I did came across to a singing 95-tan flash animation. Somehow kind of gave me an idea for a Yahoo wiget that would play 95-tan singing animation whenever iTunes is playing, and when iTunes is paused or not playing the animation stops and goes to her getting ready to sing.

C-Chan

That's the spirit.  If you have the time, I'd try it out and see how it goes.  If you need help, some of us can take a look too.  ^__^

iTune's is one thing, but as far as desktops go....
I know love is blind, but is there a risk that a dancing, "bouncy" XP-tan would get boring after a while?  ^^'

Ultimaninja

I would prefer to have a sort of animated os-tan wallpaper with all of them involved...

But I would want xp, 2000, and 95 tan as the main ones

^.^;

NewYinzer

Any of those things sound pretty good.

Wow. That was a short post. So tired from ultimate frisbee...

SleepyD

Quote from: "Rock843"Greetings! ;hi

I've recently found out about these OS girls and I have to say that the whole idea is very interesting. Poking around in various places, I found this and I was curious if anybody could tell me about it? Being that everybody here is very fond of the OS women, I figured this would be the best place to inquire.

It looks like some sort of XP-tan desktop animated widget or something like that, but I can't be sure. Any idea's where to find out more about it? Here's what it looks like. Thanks very much! ;010

Hey Rock, I don't think I have much to add as everyone above me seems to have answered your question.  It seems you only came here to ask a question, but if you decide to join us, start by introducing yourself here! http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?t=125

NewYinzer

Yes! Feel free to introduce yourself! You are a welcome addition to our humble hamlet! Well...it looks like this thread has served its purpose. Should we close it?

rdhdtwns

Well, this was before most of you guys who answered joined, but in the downloads section of the forum there was an adorable XP-tan desktop friend. Pretty much useless as hell, but so so cute.

When you first opened her up and tried to click on her, she would get confused and have tons of ?s around her. Later on she would just blink and generally be adorable and take up RAM, much like the girl herself.

I'm not sure if I have her anymore, but if someone else did, that'd be cute. I think there was another girl though.
So cute it\'s deadly!

MisterCat

I so want that XP-tan desktop friend, rdhdtwns!  How come she's not there anymore?  Did crackers wreck the site...or what?

;026

=^..^=

rdhdtwns

QuoteQuote from : MisterCat

I so want that XP-tan desktop friend, rdhdtwns!  How come she's not there anymore?  Did crackers wreck the site...or what?

;026

=^..^=

Ah no, there was just a general clean-up awhile ago. I think she's on my old compy. I'll check later ^^
So cute it\'s deadly!