More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

No idea, whatsoever.

Chocofreak13

finished sketches of Auto Point and DX10.

also stumbled on a different concept that i sketched out; anyone remember the "non-existant" computer thread? where we talked about XANA and GlaDos and HAL? i was watching my life as a teenage robot (am i the only one who likes that show?) and heard wakeman mention the "cybercell 19" and "cybercell 12" programming languages, so i made a cybercell-tan.

anyway, none of these are inked or coloured, so they'll likely be up tomorrow.

oh, and i'm sewing a coat. whoo!
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Hooray!

I've seen GLaDOS-tan.... but you're telling me there is a HAL 9000-tan out there?  This is startling.

COATS!  BEST PIECES OF CLOTHING EVER.

Chocofreak13

i think someone was going to make one. :\

and IT'S A TOKKU FUKU COAT LIKE THE JAPANESE BIKER SCHOOLGIRLS USED TO WEAR OwO
click to make it bigger

Bella

Thanks for the link Kari! That's quite interesting...

Quote from: "Stew"Oh look, more non-IBM's for the IBM thread; though there are two more IBM's it doesn't really balance out. It's all thanks to my new book about the first forty years at Green Bank.

<EDIT>: Finished off a couple more, including the long promised Bell Labs/DEC/AT&T MERT-tan and the equally long awaited TI DX10-tan; hopefully to you the OSC's satisfaction. That clears out my to-do list, but it's already filled up again.

Question: Do LINC, LGP-30, or ACE-tans already exist?

Yippee, moar IBM-tans! And just in time, in a week I'll be visiting the tiny village of Essex Junction, Vermont, deep in the heart of IBM territory... *dons safari gear*

I'll be back to comment on the different characters, just wanted to say that I really like what I see though. Especially MERT and SEAC (GLOWY COMPUTER-TANS FTW!!!!). Also, I seriously want a pair of tanker boots. D:

No, none of those exist as -tans.

Fictional computer-tans! I still really want to do a SKYNET-tan, evil defense computer systems ftw!

Bella

Lookit that, Bendix G-15 and SEAC and MERT-tans~

And (my own take on) SSEC-tan and Harvard Mark I:

Annnnnnd, RAYDAC-tan and CP/CMS-sama (in formal and battle gear):

Chocofreak13

if you like the version you did of SSEC, then keep it. :3 it was your vision anyway. ^^

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! i'm importing screentone brushes into gimp, so now i don't have to worry about not having the money or the access to screentones! ^^ (tis sweet, been wantin' to do this for awhile. the brushes are originally for photoshop so if you want them i'll provide linkage.)

and i don't have much to do today (well, except for drying peppers and extracting poison) so i'll begin again on work of those sketches i promised. ^^;;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

D'aww, all three chibi's are ridiculously adorably.  Even SEAC with her :< face.  All the mainframes are so ornate, though CP/CMS' combat gear manages to mix function with style.  She gives off kind of a Patton vibe, at least to me.

Hooray, Kari!

Bella

Thanks Kari, not that I didn't like your version of SSEC-tan... we can always compromise and say that's her in her professional uniform! OS-tans have wardrobes I imagine, nobody likes wearing the same clothes day after day, even fictional characters~ ^^

Woohoo, can't wait to see your drawings Kari! And post links for these GIMP screentone brushes plz. :3

Po-poison?! D:

Thanks Stew, I'm working on a new chibi style... I've pages full of characters in this style, well, at least a few. MERT's my favourite here btw, I like her mellowness in the face of imminent destruction (aka angry Unices, DECs and Unix-sama). Gotta be ornate, have you seen those computers? They were quite grandiloquent themselves. ^^

Hmm, Patton, that's an interesting comparison. She reminds me a little of the warrior-queen Boudica. ^^

Chocofreak13

uh-huh, poison. :3 nabbed a little bit of ricin from a garden the other day, now i just have to set to work extracting the seeds. (might grow some; it IS quite an exotic looking plant. ^^)

http://psychobob.xepher.net/screentonez/
screentone page~

ummmmmmmmmmmmm i was about to begin work on cadet-tan, but i'm a little confused about the description....what exactly does an IBM Cadet uniform look like? :[
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Well, I left it vague to give whomever drew her latitude of design but I can layout a basic design.  

A jacket cut about like this, but of a darker blue color.  Plain gray collar tabs with gold IBMSA letters.  One narrow gold stripe around the cuff.  Regulation headgear consists of a US Army pattern garrison cap trimmed in silver and black; same color as the jacket.  Single gold disk pinned on the left side, Gold IBMSA pin on the right.  Lower half consists of a skirt or slacks.

Of course what modifications she's made are up for debate.

Bella

Ricin?! :V I grow mostly innocuous plants, aloe, various kalanchoe, some new succulents whose names I'm unsure of...  

That screentone page had been bookmarked. :D

That's an awesome jacket, this is gonna be a cool uniform. :^D

Anyway, I've made another preposterous link between two computer systems, and therefor, OS-tans: WWMCCS and GECOS.

As it turns out, the Worldwide Military Command and Control System used GECOS as its OS!

DUN
DUN
DUHNNNNNNN

But wait, it gets stranger! It also heavily employed Honeywell 6000 computers, including the one Multics used, the 6080.

DUN!
DUN!
DUHNNNNNNN!!!!!!

So um, how's this fit into OS-tan terms? Is WWMCCS-tan supposed to represent the system software, hardware, or some sort of hybrid -tan embodying both? If it's software, that means WWMMCS-tan could be GECOS's little sister... if it's hardware, she could be related to 6000-kun... if she's a hybrid, then, LE GASP, would that make her the abominable "lovechild" of GECOS and 6000-kun?!

I know, I know. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think hardware-tans can reproduce with OS-tans -- since IRL hardwares and OSes are two totally different things. But this also raises the question of how "hybrid" -tans (ones representing both computer and software/OS) fit into the picture, and if, through sufficient human manipulation in the lab, an OS-tan and hardware-tan could have a hybrid child.

Or, we could just leave that all ambiguous and say she's just associated with GECOS and 6000-kun, or some loosely defined relative of one or the other... |P

All of this has inspired me to make a super-confusing OS-tan character relationship map though~

stewartsage

The World War II RAF uniforms are probably among my favorites of any era.

*clears throat* It's er, not really that preposterous.  At the time I created Wimex-tan there wasn't a Honeywell 6000 series personification so it didn't seem particularly germane.  Plus I forgot about GCOS, I always forget about GCOS.  Now however the situation has changed; time to put on the serious business glasses and get to work.

As far as I've always been concerned WWMCCS-tan was a representation of the network itself.  The whole shebang was originally scattered across the country in at the very least dozens of separate computer sites using a variety of hardware and operating systems, which makes her more of a software or program-tan though that doesn't really feel right.

Of course, Honeywell 6000-kun and GECOS-san didn't really enter the picture until the Air Force's 1971 purchase orders for the Prototype WWMCCS Intercomputer Network almost at the end of Wimex's first decade of operation.  Even then that version of GCOS is implied to be a separate (or perhaps derivative) of regular GCOS; "WWMCCS GCOS".  

Therefore my conclusion is that Honeywell 6000-kun and GECOS-san are rather like adoptive and half siblings respectively (with Wimex possibly accepting the mantle of WWMCCS GCOS as well) then anything else.  GECOS effect on existing relationships: She's already a loner, so next to none.  

Remember some of mine already have an ill defined, poorly laid out map to start from!

Chocofreak13

I VOTE FOR THE LOVECHILD

born out of a drunken night of passion and forgotten! WWMCCS-chan, 6000's illegitimate daughter!! >:3

and thanks for the info, you may see cadet popping up in a few days (if i can resist the urge to be lazy).
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Stew"The World War II RAF uniforms are probably among my favorites of any era.

*clears throat* It's er, not really that preposterous. At the time I created Wimex-tan there wasn't a Honeywell 6000 series personification so it didn't seem particularly germane. Plus I forgot about GCOS, I always forget about GCOS. Now however the situation has changed; time to put on the serious business glasses and get to work.

I've always been fond of the old American and British military uniforms (for instance, 1700s and 1800s British, Continental and Union Armies), but some of the WWI and II uniforms are pretty interesting too~

There's been a 6000-kun for awhile now! He's drawn on a scrap of paper... somewhere... with a bunch of other -kuns, Emacs, GE 600, FASTRAND and 728-kun too IIRC.  I should find that and post it.

GECOS (or GCOS) is easy to forget until you realize that it's behind a few important OSes and computer systems of its era (Multics was built partially on GECOS machines, Unix, and now the WWMMCS-GECOS connection). GCOS-tan is certainly quite the character though... there's really no forgetting her. ^^;;

QuoteAs far as I've always been concerned WWMCCS-tan was a representation of the network itself. The whole shebang was originally scattered across the country in at the very least dozens of separate computer sites using a variety of hardware and operating systems, which makes her more of a software or program-tan though that doesn't really feel right.

Of course, Honeywell 6000-kun and GECOS-san didn't really enter the picture until the Air Force's 1971 purchase orders for the Prototype WWMCCS Intercomputer Network almost at the end of Wimex's first decade of operation. Even then that version of GCOS is implied to be a separate (or perhaps derivative) of regular GCOS; "WWMCCS GCOS".

That's what I assumed... also realised that WWMCCS used a lot of different software and hardware, but the 6000 and GECOS were the most mentioned on its wiki article.

I hate creating redundant characters, that's why I wanted to work in a GECOS-WWMCCS-tan connection rather than create a whole new Wimex GECOS-tan. I like your idea to let WWMCCS-tan represent WWMCCS's version of GECOS though....

QuoteTherefore my conclusion is that Honeywell 6000-kun and GECOS-san are rather like adoptive and half siblings respectively (with Wimex possibly accepting the mantle of WWMCCS GCOS as well) then anything else. GECOS effect on existing relationships: She's already a loner, so next to none.

Remember some of mine already have an ill defined, poorly laid out map to start from!

That's a sound decision! Hmm, this makes her something akin to a step-step-sister to Multics...GECOS, Multics and 6000-kun were all step-siblings (in a way: same company) so WWMCCS-tan is practically a part of the family too...

... oh god, what do you want to bet she lost that eye getting in between Multics and GECOS in a catfight? D:

Quote from: "Kari"I VOTE FOR THE LOVECHILD

born out of a drunken night of passion and forgotten! WWMCCS-chan, 6000's illegitimate daughter!! >:3

and thanks for the info, you may see cadet popping up in a few days (if i can resist the urge to be lazy).

lololol~ I'd totally vote for this too, if not for the fact that GCOS-tan and 6000-kun are about the two least likely people to ever get into a drunken lovechildmaking-situation. xP

It's still a funny thought though (must. resist. urge. to. fanfic. or. comic.) x.x