More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Seconded! Considering 5'6" to be short is just making my Napoleon Complex wor-- shouldn't have said that out loud! ^^;

Btw, when did Digi-Comp debut?

Bella

Aw, don't have a Napoleon Complex! 5'5'' is above the national average for women. (Which is 5'4'', btw.)

My brother says tall for women starts at 5'6''. ^//^

stewartsage

I'm sorry everyone!  Sometimes I don't think about proper average heights for the different genders.  I have realized my data transcription error and the information has been corrected, and apologies have been mailed to every female I know who is 5'6" or there abouts.  It's a lot more then you'd think.

Digi-Comp I in 1963 (v2.0 in 2005) and Digi-Comp II in ~1967

Chocofreak13

BELLA, AURORA, IT'S OK *HUGG* I'LL CROUCH SO YOU FEEL TALLER ;____;

and i have an urge to draw some, so i may claim some soon. ^^ i also have an urge to draw a leapster fly-tan. .___.;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Creative speller. Lulz. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

always my favourite out of that pic. xD
click to make it bigger

Bella

Hey, I remember when I asked if you could draw an ILLIAC-tan a few months back Aurora. ^^ Glad to see she's finally come to fruition, along with a suitably quirky looking ORDVAC and IAS-tan too! I sort of forget BESM's story, though. *runs off to brush up on Von Neumann-tan family history*

Quote from: "Stewart"Digi-Comp I & II-tan
-Tends to push herself to exhaustion doing math problems (It would be possible to do many of the same things comparable electronic computers could do, a FullSize!Digi-Comp would just be a lot bigger and slower)
-Wants to be taken seriously by the digital computers (First real mechanical binary computer, very capable despite being a "toy")
-Can only say "Yes" or "No", which doesn't really help her make her case (First real binary mechanical computer, so she get's stuck with a verbal handicap)
-Makes wire sculptures, unfolds paperclips, generally plays around with anything thin and mettalic
-Seems to be found of logic puzzles and brain teasers, as far as anyone can tell.
-Has a passion for bowling (Digi-Comp II used a rolling ball to for power)
-Is an elementary school teacher in her native New Jersey.
Status: Alive in both emmulator, Digi-Comp I 2.0, and a wide fanbase for the original Digi-Comp I & II

Physical: Appears much younger then she actually is (18/19) and a bit on the short side (maybe 5'3"), has bright red eyes behind wire frame glasses, white hair in a ponytail (may suffer from albinisim), when teaching prefers turtlenecks and long skirts, at home usually wears tank tops and jeans but always wears flip-flops (three mechanical flip-flops, 'nough said)

Oh lawd, Digi-Comp and have the same tendency to math till we drop. xD;; Her fondness for bowling and odd manner of speaking is really interesting too. I like your ideas for her physical appearance, she'll be the second albino-looking OS-tan (besides Unununium-tan).

And hey, we've finally found another NJ-ite OS-tan beside Unix-sama and Plan 9-chan. >>

QuoteI'm sorry everyone! Sometimes I don't think about proper average heights for the different genders. I have realized my data transcription error and the information has been corrected, and apologies have been mailed to every female I know who is 5'6" or there abouts. It's a lot more then you'd think.

No biggie. ^^; I've pretty odd outlooks on height too, I tend to use myself as a standard and anyone a few inches above me is automatically "tall" and anyone a few inches below is "short". Which might make slight sense if I only applied this logic to other women... but I use these standards for men, too. xD

EDIT: AH, that's right, BESM is the Soviet IAS clone-thingy. ^^

Chocofreak13

lol. digi comp is so cute. ^^
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"Oh lawd, Digi-Comp and have the same tendency to math till we drop. xD;; Her fondness for bowling and odd manner of speaking is really interesting too. I like your ideas for her physical appearance, she'll be the second albino-looking OS-tan (besides Unununium-tan).

And hey, we've finally found another NJ-ite OS-tan beside Unix-sama and Plan 9-chan. >>

No biggie. ^^; I've pretty odd outlooks on height too, I tend to use myself as a standard and anyone a few inches above me is automatically "tall" and anyone a few inches below is "short". Which might make slight sense if I only applied this logic to other women... but I use these standards for men, too. xD

EDIT: AH, that's right, BESM is the Soviet IAS clone-thingy. ^^

Colors!  They're even more adorable!

Better then doing other things 'til you drop.  It must be interesting to be one of her students, of course she can use the important words for dealing with elementary age children (Ah yes, Unununium-tan.  Albino's unite!)

Perhaps a Jersey Shore party is in order.  Without the douchebags hopefully, maybe around Cape May.

Despite being of average height (5'10) I manage to have somewhat of a Napoleon complex.  Probably from everyone else being so friggin tall!

Well, built to Von Neumann specs at least.

Bella

Jersey Shore party? Lemme get my bio-hazard suit and breathing apparatus and I'll join you!

But 5'10'' is a nice height, it's tall but not too tall. ^^

Chocofreak13

wait, before the party, lemme round up some of my old classmates--they sure as hell would belong there. xD

eager to see digi-comp's icon. ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

Oh wau, an actual IBM-tan:

IBM Selective Sequence Electronic Calculator (aka SSEC, Poppa)-tan

-Born 1948, died 1952 (ouch)
-Harvard Mk. I-tan's younger sister/cousin/step-relative/thingy
-Physically, if not also mentally, swifter than her relative
-A New Yorker
-Beautiful, was kept "on display" at IBM's HQ for all to see
-An astronomer, claims to have worked on the Apollo Missions
-Last of her "species"-- electromechanical computers
-Copper-coloured hair, red eyes, dresses in ancient fashion but with a very flashy - and distinctly modern - flair. (Why? See below)

Raytheon (company info)RAYDAC (computer info)-tan:

-Born 1949, debuted 1953
-Spent her early life in Waltham, Mass; also familiar with Lexington and Cambridge (Raytheon was HQ'd in all three cities)
-Worked at the Naval Air Missile Test Center in Point Mugu, CA
-A weapons magnate (Raytheon is a weapons contractor)
-Lady of war, probably wielded some sort of (ancient-looking) shoulder-mounted missile weapon
-Dresses vaguely medieval-like, lots of crystal accents
-Fair skin, eyes and hair, dresses in light colours
-Hair worn up and arranged in a "bar" at the back of her head (reminiscent of marine radar antenna)

Lastly, I've discovered another Lost Computer Society: Control Computer Company, inc. (CCC, 3C). Seems to have existed before the rise of actual OSes, any -tans will be hardware or hardware/software hybrids.
-Based in Framingham, Mass.
-Founded 1953, bought by Honeywell in '66
-Founded by the designer of the Raytheon RAYDAC
-The Honeywell Kitchen Computer was based on 3C designs
-Noted for their DDP series minicomputers
-Was on par with DEC in terms of revenue
-Computers mostly used in scientific fields

So we've three Mass. Minicomputer-tan cultures: DEC, DG and 3C. If DEC was the powerful and influential military society, and DG was the more chaotic and magic-based culture, I see 3C as a closed technocracy. Wildly advanced science, but they lacked the common sense to put it to use to their advantage and just sorta.... fizzled out.

Chocofreak13

omg, this thread LIVES!!!
anyway, love the ideas you've put out, and despite being old, that comp pic is so SHINY (literally!)
i like your ideas on the localized culture. not only do they make sense, but they are an interesting addition to whatever plotline we've got going here. xD

good work. when i'm not in such dire straights in terms of computer situation (currently trying to reformat shitty) i might volunteer to make one. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

omg right?!

Thankee! ^^ I know, when I saw the picture of the SSEC's control desk I was all like omg so pretty~ *.*

I've always liked designing cultures and stuff... the DDP's will be a hard bunch to -tan, though, since there's so little info on the computers and their impact on the industry. ):