More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

well, mac WAS depicted as a hipster in all the commercials. xD maybe it's fitting. if there's coffee to be spilt on them, it's BETTER be starbucks. xDD

they all look lovely as usual. i must apologize for not posting those icons i promised you guys yet, i have found myself caught up in planning out a tabletop rpg game for me and my friends. once that is over, i should have more time on my hands, enabling me to FINALLY draw those up. ^^;

keep up the good work, unlike mee..... ;___;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Oh hipster Macs, so appropriate.

Apache HTTP Server-tan, my old friend, we meet again.  She runs our school e-mail system.  Poorly.  But she has been doing better recently, and her -tan is adorable.

Chocofreak13

like ME, even if she doesn't do well, she tries. ^^
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I think its more the aging equipment and poor cooling of the servers that were causing problems.

For some reason all I can think of is Mark IV-tan with a flak jacket....

Bella

@Aurora: Mark II-tan's outfit was actually very loosely inspired by the uniform the USS Constitution tourguide was wearing when we toured the ship. Maybe it's because it was a woman wearing a man's uniform, but everything looked very loose and puffy... somehow, this design mutated out of it. ^^ Your personality ideas sound about right, I'll buy it!

Fun fact about the Harvard Architecture! The modern x86, MIPS and PowerPC processors are considered to be a modified version of the Harvard Architecture... so, I guess Macs and PCs have a common ancestor after all? xD

Poofy and feathery are about my two favourite adjectives in the English language~

Is anything less to be expected from Linux-tan's trustworthy sidekick? ^^

Re: the iMac-tans hipsterness: yep, that's exactly the look I was going for. Mac hardware is designed to be aesthetically pleasing, it seems natural that the Mac hardware-tans would have to be rather appearance-conscious themselves...

@Choco: Take your time on the icons, there's no race to finish them... ^^'

@Stew: from what I've read, Apache is a pretty stable program (it must be if something like 60% of servers run it)... so it seems likely that it would be a hardware thing.

Mark IV-tan in a flak jacket?! Is Virginia really that dangerous for a Northinah?! ;O;

Aurora Borealis

Here's a sketch debuting Harvard Mark III-tan:

Also includes Mark II, I added a tool belt, and her shirt is modeled after the Mark II computer (or a part of it. Based off a reference picture).

Mark III-tan has hair-curlers since they're vaguely drum-shaped. Wanted to include a reference to Mark III's usage of drum memory...

stewartsage

@Bella: No, but what bomber crewman is fully dressed without armor?

@Aurora: lulz

Bella

Really cool Aurora! I like the shirt + toolbelt you have Mark II-tan, and I was actually wanting to give Mark III-tan a certain... Continental Army-esque flair (seemed fitting, given her Bostonian/Virginian heritage and all) so she looks right on the mark too. :D

Exec-sama's expression is quite lolworthy, but she's perfectly correct in her observations-- I've often been a bit confused at the anachronisms in OS-tan outfit design myself. If you think about it though it makes sense... for a long time EXEC was the oldest drawn OS-tan, thus her Medieval clothing. But as we "discovered" and drew older and older characters, it would have gotten boring really quickly if we stuck to a strict timeline of clothing, drawing them in Middle Ages-style, then Byzantine, Roman and Greek, Mesopotamian... and finally bear skins and leather. ^^;;

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! When designing Mark III-tan, I instantly had in mind she'd have hair-curlers and carry around a drum, so here she is, Mark III the Revolutionary War drummer!

BTW, decided on any color schemes for the Mark-tan family?

Anachronistic fashion FTW, though I thought the OS-tans from the 40's and 50's would all wear massive, fancy dresses and hairstyles that'd need a lot of maintenance, but this works too.

It's interesting that over the years, there are more older and older OS-tans being drawn, and there had been anachronisms since the beginning actually, though they weren't that widespread at first.

With the early OS-tan canon, 95-tan was the oldest and dressed in a kimono, popular 19th century fashion. Then debuted 3.1-tan, though curiously MS-DOS-tan who was part of this original early canon dressed as a modern schoolgirl, and NT-tan dresses modernly too.

And I still remember when Apple II was the oldest of all the characters, then UNIX, and then Multics! Then I was amazed to see that there were OSes even older than that... now we have OS-tans for the 1940's computers!

NejinOniwa

QuoteBut as we "discovered" and drew older and older characters, it would have gotten boring really quickly if we stuck to a strict timeline of clothing, drawing them in Middle Ages-style, then Byzantine, Roman and Greek, Mesopotamian... and finally bear skins and leather. ^^;;
I'm getting flashbacks from Chrono Trigger now. Prehistoric lulz -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@nej: ayla-tan. xD
@everyone else: loving the art, and as of yet we do not have a -tan for that computer that was under so much debate, the one from the early 30's germany? began with a z.......
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

No idea, I remember it being discussed...  The thought of making a God Machine-tan keeps kicking around in the back of my brain.

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"
BTW, decided on any color schemes for the Mark-tan family?

Anachronistic fashion FTW, though I thought the OS-tans from the 40's and 50's would all wear massive, fancy dresses and hairstyles that'd need a lot of maintenance, but this works too.

It's interesting that over the years, there are more older and older OS-tans being drawn, and there had been anachronisms since the beginning actually, though they weren't that widespread at first.

With the early OS-tan canon, 95-tan was the oldest and dressed in a kimono, popular 19th century fashion. Then debuted 3.1-tan, though curiously MS-DOS-tan who was part of this original early canon dressed as a modern schoolgirl, and NT-tan dresses modernly too.

And I still remember when Apple II was the oldest of all the characters, then UNIX, and then Multics! Then I was amazed to see that there were OSes even older than that... now we have OS-tans for the 1940's computers!

Mark I's colour scheme is gold and olive, with white and blue accents, Mark II's is black and white, Mark III's will probably be Continental Army inspired, so red, dark blue and off-white and Mark IV's is copper and beige for the most part. This is for outfits, mind you... I'm not sure about their eye/hair colours. Those would probably run somewhere in the gold/copper/brown spectrum...

On first inspection, it seems as if the older the OS-tans get, the more complex they should become... and could be true, if you consider the HUGE size and complexity of the machines in the 40s and 50s. But, if you want to look at it from another POV... the computers of that era could be argued to be LESS complex since they existed mostly as hardware, with little or no software involved. Less complex computers = less complex OS-tans.

Now, the mainframe of the 60s on the other hand... those now only employed large computers, but some fairly complex software as well. It was a true "rococo" period for the OS-tans and hardware-tans, something that should show up in their designs. (And just like the RL rococo period, it would later be abandoned in favour of simplicity and utilitarianism).

Yeah! I remember noticing how the older Windows-tans were dressed historically-looking too. In fact, I even played this up with one of my old drawings of 3.1-tan... http://bellacielo.deviantart.com/gallery/#/du90mu XD

It's amazing how our perspective on "old" in the OS-tan world keeps getting broader... for a long time, I considered Unix to be the oldest "real OS" and didn't even acknowledge the existence of Multics, an older but arguably more advanced OS! Learning about Multics is what gave me a new POV on old OSes and computers, and inspired me to research ever older ones.

Now, we've ventured into the exotic realm of Hardware... the land before OSes so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a years time, we're conceptualizing Antikythera Mechanism- and Analytical Engine-tans. ^^''

@Stew: God Machine? D'ye mean the Large Hadron Collider "God Machine" or the Lynn Mass "God Machine"?

@Kari: You're thinking of the Zuse Z1 computer.

Chocofreak13

thanks! :3

I CLAIM ANTIKYTHERA-TAN

and i think that maybe a more complex outfit, with a less complex personality (as in bigger outside, smaller inside) would work well to describe the older -tans.
click to make it bigger

Bella

I view it the opposite way... the hardware-based computers of yore were very utilitarian, with almost no attempt to make them look "good". But they were the most complex machines in the world at the time, which means the hardware-tans were probably far from simple personality-wise. To make a RL parallel, think about humans, who have changed very little mentally and emotionally in over 10,000 years (of course, our knowledge is greater now, but our mental "hardware" remains almost unchanged).