Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Someday, Boston *shakes fist at car*

Constitution was built in Boston, that's why its there and (the rebuilt Constellations in Baltimore for the same reason).  Also the Potomac and Anacostica are too shallow these days (plus too many bridges) to fit a ship of her draft up as far as the Navy Yard in DC.

Summer vacation? No idea, probably no where for the first time in a really long time.

Boston may be the center of the world, but it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_End_(Hingham,_Massachusetts)
ends in Hingham

Chocofreak13

oh wow, we are the universe in a small multi-state region. we are are own universe!! xD

half of me is considering asking brother gabe to import persons, while the other half is yelling and screaming and kicking the first half to death for thinking so selfishly.

you guys, with your plans, making me depressed. -3- i HATE planning out the summer. that takes away the fun and spontaneity of it, y'know?

AMD: "overlap" means that they share common characteristics. techno and trance are quite similar, so much so that some people do not notice the difference.

and i just don't like them. sure, i like "feeling" the music, but when i can feel it vibrate in my ears, down through the stomach and out my fingers and feet, it's an unpleasent experience.

(you remember nej, twas not a fun time. >___< )
click to make it bigger

Bella

@ Nejin: the appeal of Boston... I guess a lot of Americans like to think of Boston (or Mass in general) as the place where our country was born. (This blog seems to sum things up pretty well... http://progressivehistorians.wordpress.com/2007/10/06/new-england-vs-virginia-shaping-the-american-narrative/ ). It doesn't have the infrastructure or all-encompassing culture of, say, New York City, but it somehow makes up for it by having the history thing going for it.

Personally, I've always really liked Massachusetts because of the culture. The people there are amazing, I mean, some of the friendliest damn people I've ever met. And not just polite, either... they're engaging, curious, love to talk and ask questions and give advice. Whenever I'm there, I don't feel like an outsider looking in-- I feel like I'm actually a part of their culture. I'm comfortable.

Compare to the New Yorkers (at least the city folk) who are a little bit higher-strung, edgier and blunter, and live at a faster pace. Not saying one is better than the other, but the former appeals to me more.

@ Stew: Oh, now I want to visit World's End. :V Both of us have been neglectful when it comes to visiting Boston, I've only been to the place a few times and then... well... I never explored much. Last time I went there was a few years ago, and most of my memories center on that hellish claustrophobia-machine known as the Big Dig. ><;

@ Choco: Did you ever doubt that New England wasn't its own universe? xP

I hate very loud music too. I've very sensitive ears, even having the TV turned up loud from across the room can make them hurt. :\ Guess that means no raving for me, lol.

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"I guess a lot of Americans like to think of Boston (or Mass in general) as the place where our country was born.

*cough* *cough* Riiiiiiiight

Bella

That's the whole point of that one blog entry-- no matter where the United States actually originated from, most people like thinking it's a product of New England...

NejinOniwa

Wait, the Constitution was a ship? Damn it, you guys >_>
Well, I suppose that alleviates whatever questions I had about it, then.

As for Boston/Mass being the cradle of the US as a country - I can understand that, being the place of much of the first landings (if I remember things right) and the first bout for independence. And I agree with you on the topic of New York...never again, that damn city. Never again. *shudder*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"That's the whole point of that one blog entry-- no matter where the United States actually originated from, most people like thinking it's a product of New England...

I know, damn lazy rest of the United States that isn't one of the first thirteen colonies (or rather people who aren't obsessive history nuts everywhere) and thus don't care as much about the fine details of the first days of the country!  But that doesn't change what we learned down heyah in Virginia.  1607 4 LIFE!

Quote from: "Nej"Wait, the Constitution was a ship? Damn it, you guys >_>
Well, I suppose that alleviates whatever questions I had about it, then.

Yep, one of the first six frigates in the US Navy.

Quote from: "Nej"As for Boston/Mass being the cradle of the US as a country - I can understand that, being the place of much of the first landings (if I remember things right) and the first bout for independence. And I agree with you on the topic of New York...never again, that damn city. Never again. *shudder*

Without the support of the other big states (Pennsylvania or Virginia for example) Massachusetts little revolt would have stayed in Boston.  Well, maybe there New Hampshire (Fort William & Mary in New Castle where the militia siezed the powder supply from the British garrison in 1774) or Rhode Island, where they liked to burn Royal Navy ships a la the Gaspee affair, the St. John, Liberty, and Diana).  But that's not a topic for here or now (from me ^^; ).  I'd at least like to see New York some time, or at least it's subway system.

NejinOniwa

Trust me. You DON'T want to see the NYC tube.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

No, I do, life goal to go on every subway/metro in the United States.

zjhentohlauedy

oh wow choco's going to japan >_<

*green with envy*

@Nejin I KNEW PLANE TICKETS COST MONEY BEFORE I EVEN WENT TO HONGKONG XD

i mean heck i'll have to completely save for about 7-9 months to visit one of you guys ;_;

@bella good to hear you enjoyed it XD i'm planning on finishing the next 2-4 follow ups tonight XD
My my, aren't you lovely~

Chocofreak13

@Bella: Mass people are pretty nice from my experience......except when they're driving. FUKIN MASSHOLES

and i needs to take you to boston and show you sum stuff.....cause i appear to know the city a little better than you guys? .___.
CHINATOWN AND CAMBRIDGE, HERE WE COME!! xD

i listen to my music all the way up otherwise i hear people's conversations outside.... =\
but i don't like feeling the vibrations in my stomach like at parades, it makes me dizzy. raves are even worse. >___< (one of the few ways to stun the choco-tank)

@zen: i am HOPEFULLY going to kyoto or osaka in august, mah broter gabe says he misses japan and wants to go back, so he's dragging me and a few others along. i'll take pics. :3

@nej: yes, i realize tickets cost muneh. but a boy can dream, can't she? :3

i have never been to new york it seems at once exciting and terrifying.

@stew: i am secretly going to plan a roadtrip to virginia and kidnappuu you in yer sleep so you, me, and bella can tea party at the castle near where i live. :3
either that or gabe's house, on the Mass-Rhode Island border.....

AND I WILLS DRAG YOU PEOPLES INTO BEACH TRIP ON NH'S NON-EXISTANT COASTLINE YOSH >:3
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

I wants in on this, but there's a large pond in between us...

:(
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

AMDKurt

@Choco: Ah, i see, well you are in luck since raving is nothing that is very common :D

stewartsage

American Dream: Distant
Canadian Dream (Circa 1973): Within my grasp

Quote from: "Choco"@zen: i am HOPEFULLY going to kyoto or osaka in august, mah broter gabe says he misses japan and wants to go back, so he's dragging me and a few others along. i'll take pics. :3

@stew: i am secretly going to plan a roadtrip to virginia and kidnappuu you in yer sleep so you, me, and bella can tea party at the castle near where i live. :3
either that or gabe's house, on the Mass-Rhode Island border.....

Oh my gawd, you had better.

....do you want an address?  Oh, oh, is it the one John Hays Hammond, jr. built!?  I wanna see where they built the God Machine too!

Red-Machine

Ah balls!  Bella you signed out literally as I got back to my PC!  Why is timing so cruel?

EDIT: Wow, 666th post.  I feel like being evil...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!