Eric Schwartz "Still Alive" tribute animation to Amiga

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, May 18, 2008, 09:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Oy....I hate to accidentally fan a flamewar, but I really hope I can put this one out...

I have to agree with Raffaele-san; I find this animation humorous and sweet, regardless of where the song came from; it's called a parody, c'mon. It's not supposed to be serious, and neither should you guys.

I feel a great amount of sympathy toward the Amigans, and while I have never used an Amiga or any like OS, I really hope that someday it will make a comeback as a competitive OS. The world needs more diversity among when it comes to OSes; it shouldn't just be Windows and Mac. How this is relevant here, I have no idea. Arguing about which is better is kinda stupid, as Amiga is, currently, something of a hobby system while Macs are more of a general use computer (I daresay...a personal computer). But I think you are both making too big a deal out of it. Just remember, we can argue all day about which OS, Mac, Amiga, Windows or Linux, is better...but there will always be bigger fish. Like Multics or VMS, which pwns all of them :P

iDarbert

Quote from: "Bella"Oy....I hate to accidentally fan a flamewar, but I really hope I can put this one out...
Sorry, did you had the impression of a flamewar? Because I didn't.
My mistake is problably the lack of any emoticons or some sort of way to convey the fact that I am, in fact, perfectly calm.

QuoteI have to agree with Raffaele-san; I find this animation humorous and sweet, regardless of where the song came from; it's called a parody, c'mon. It's not supposed to be serious, and neither should you guys.
Nah, I don't think it's a parody.
It's more like a music video.

As for it being humorous and sweet, that's your opinion and maybe even what Schwartz wanted it to be.
It's just that I don't think it's funny, and Raffaele didn't quite like that.

Yeah sure, my first comment about that was a little drastic, but heck... to abuse GLaDOS like this, she deserves better!
And yes, this was an obvious exageration on my part, it's meant to be sarcastic.

I don't quite understand why can't I be serious if I want to though, if I feel there's need to explain myself I'd rather do it in a cold but polite manner rather than trying to joke about it and giving the impression I'm mocking the other side.

QuoteI feel a great amount of sympathy toward the Amigans, and while I have never used an Amiga or any like OS, I really hope that someday it will make a comeback as a competitive OS. The world needs more diversity among when it comes to OSes; it shouldn't just be Windows and Mac.
Amiga is not just a OS, it's more like a whole package, kinda like the Mac is.

QuoteHow this is relevant here, I have no idea. Arguing about which is better is kinda stupid,
Which is NOT what we are doing here anyway.

Quoteas Amiga is, currently, something of a hobby system while Macs are more of a general use computer (I daresay...a personal computer).
Well, it used to be a good mainstream platform actually, but didn't play out quite well in the end.
It is kind of a hobby NOW but you know, there are plenty of people who use the Amiga as their everyday machine and I think it's wonderful but to actually believe that "we're comin' back" bullshit is just ridicolous.

QuoteBut I think you are both making too big a deal out of it.
But that's what I said in my previous post, so I'm not making a big deal out of it.

QuoteJust remember, we can argue all day about which OS, Mac, Amiga, Windows or Linux, is better...
Which is NOT what we are doing here.

Quotebut there will always be bigger fish. Like Multics or VMS, which pwns all of them :P
Yeah, sure.

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "iDarbert"
You even take the hassle of replying with a picture and... wait? Uffa?
Mica sei italiano per caso? o_O

Uffa si dice anche in inglese! Anche se con una sfumatura lievemente diversa dalla nostra...

(Uffa it is common in English also! Even if it is to be intended with a little different meaning...)

E comunque siamo un po'distratti vero?  ;012

(and perhaps we are a bit distract, isn't it?)  ;012

[Vedi Immagine allegata]

([See Attached Image])

QuoteEDIT: Hey, I just noticed that quote of Jean-Louis Gassée on your signature, I completely forgot about that guy! To think he actually left a successfull company to found Be, Inc.
Though honestly looking at it Apple wasn't in a good place at the moment, that quote being from 96 which if I recall correctly wasn't one of their best years.

It is a statement of 1996 describing the situation of disperation in Apple when they saw Amiga in 1985.
Fortunately for Apple, the Commodore management was composed by total morons, who didn't even know what kind of computer they were selling.

Ironically the Amiga was the one that didn't survive the competition, while Apple actually kept existing and still exists.

Hum... ;018

Better to make a little list:

Operating Systems:

- AmigaOS4.0
- MorphOS
- AROS (AROS Live!, VMWAROS, Native AROS, Aros hosted in Windows, Aros hosted in Linux, AROS for PPC computers)

Platforms:

- Amiga Walker
- AmigaONE
- Pegasos I & II
- Efika
- Sam440EP Samantha

AmigaOS & MorphOS loaders on Macintosh:

- Moana
- PearPC modified for MorphOS

Clones:

- Minimig
- Natami
- A1K
- Clone-A

Emulators:

- UAE (WinUAE, AmigaForever, E-UAE, UAE)
- Winfellow

Preinstalled systems for emulators:

- AmigaSys
- AmiKit

What a bonanza of choices, alternatives, and descendants...

Not that bad for a dead system...  ;010  :smoke:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

iDarbert

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"
You even take the hassle of replying with a picture and... wait? Uffa?
Mica sei italiano per caso? o_O

Uffa si dice anche in inglese! Anche se con una sfumatura lievemente diversa dalla nostra...

(Uffa it is common in English also! Even if it is to be intended with a little different meaning...)
Sinceramente dopo la Spia di TF2 che per dire "grazie" dice "prego" ho cominciato anche a fregarmene di come usano gli inglesi la nostra lingua XD

QuoteE comunque siamo un po'distratti vero?  ;012
Di solito guardo il contenuto dei post, non chi li fa oO

QuoteEDIT: Hey, I just noticed that quote of Jean-Louis Gassée on your signature, I completely forgot about that guy! To think he actually left a successfull company to found Be, Inc.
Though honestly looking at it Apple wasn't in a good place at the moment, that quote being from 96 which if I recall correctly wasn't one of their best years.

QuoteIt is a statement of 1996 describing the situation of disperation in Apple when they saw Amiga in 1985.
Yeah I get it, but you are missing the point.

QuoteFortunately for Apple, the Commodore management was composed by total morons, who didn't even know what kind of computer they were selling.
Heh, same old song and dance.
Lots of brilliant products get ruined like this, the rest fail because people don't recognise how good they are.

A few actually manage to outbreak into the wild.

Ironically the Amiga was the one that didn't survive the competition, while Apple actually kept existing and still exists.

Hum... ;018

Better to make a little list:

*long list*

Not that bad for a dead system...  ;010  :smoke:
So? What's the point? That it has a faithful legacy?
That it does still exist as a platform? Yep, already said that (you can buy one at a convention, you can order a Pegasus online, Amiga is actually releasing new machines from time to time).

But you should try to interpret what I post correctly instead of releasing a flurry of "omg we're not dead amiga ftw" stuff, because if you actually read it correctly you'll see I refer to the Amia not surviving as a commercial product. (as many other products from other companies did)

Are you going to go ahead and deny that the Amiga did not kept selling enought to be a succesfull consumer electronics product (without that meaning it's bad, just that it didn't "make it")?
Because if that's what you want we can close this argument (which happens to be seen as a flame anyway) immediately.

You think people who hate the Amiga are stupid and annoying? Imagine how fun it is to be treated as such while you are not.

EDIT: By the way, I'm curious... what web browser do you use on your Amiga?

Raffaele the Amigan

QuoteIt is a statement of 1996 describing the situation of disperation in Apple when they saw Amiga in 1985.
Yeah I get it, but you are missing the point.

Well, to be honest... What part of "everyone was scared as hell" is not clear to you?

So? What's the point? That it has a faithful legacy?
That it does still exist as a platform? Yep, already said that (you can buy one at a convention, you can order a Pegasus online, Amiga is actually releasing new machines from time to time).

But you should try to interpret what I post correctly instead of releasing a flurry of "omg we're not dead amiga ftw" stuff, because if you actually read it correctly you'll see I refer to the Amia not surviving as a commercial product. (as many other products from other companies did)

Anything you can buy or sell IN the market IS IN the market, not OUTSIDE the market...

Maybe Amiga a very insignificant little niche of interested people, but we do not care...
Modern world is actually a world made of infinite niches. There are big ones, and little ones, and TIIINY ones.

To make a parallel (non an example, just a parallel)... we who are here in OS-TAN Collection are a part of the niche of people interested in OSTANs... world outside, does not even care OSTANs exist, and even our existence as fanatics could be interpreted as "odd", or "strange".

So we Amigans continue our direction without being embarassed of external world.

We need just some hardware, enough peripherals for input/output, a decent internet connection, and some software covering actual file standards, such as HTML, JPEG, PDF, AIFF, MP3, FLV, VOB, DOC, etc...

If someone would join us, then he/she he is welcome  ;hi .
If someone would leave, he/she is saluted.  ;hi

Are you going to go ahead and deny that the Amiga did not kept selling enought to be a succesfull consumer electronics product (without that meaning it's bad, just that it didn't "make it")?
Because if that's what you want we can close this argument (which happens to be seen as a flame anyway) immediately.

No any problem... It is a very known situation in our community, and an interesting soap opera, which sometimes hits newspapers, and news sites online.

Actual Amiga Inc. management never launched Amiga as consumer electonic product. It was not even interested in the Operating System, Infact Amiga Inc. subcontracted Hardware and O.S. to two different firms, leaving them free to commercialize it.

In the meanwhile they launched another product called Amiga Anywhere which has nothing in common with Amiga, except the name. It is a competitor to Java. But it was poorly marketed. And it was not free as Java.

When the AmigaOS 4.0 started selling, Amiga Inc. management blocked any activity by claiming back the intellectual properties of the OS.

There is actually a court trial in USA opposing Amiga Inc. owner of the I.P. and trademarks, and Hyperion which manufactured AmigaOS 4.0.

-----
WARNING!

Here that follows it is just RUMORS and to be intended just as like rumors...
-----

Rumors said that Amiga Inc. desires no any success in selling products, because it is a cover to avoid taxes.

If you want to know more then register any Amiga Forum, and stay tuned for rumors and private messages.

Ask me more news in private, if you want to know more, I do not want to be sued in a court trial by USA judges.  ;014

You think people who hate the Amiga are stupid and annoying? Imagine how fun it is to be treated as such while you are not.

Annoying? Only if they attacked Amiga without reason, or being malicious.

People pointing Amiga flaws, are welcome if they make critics with honesty and sympathy, else if they want to starting flamewars or trolling they are not even considered.

EDIT: By the way, I'm curious... what web browser do you use on your Amiga?

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Internet_and_communications_software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Internet_and_communications_software#World_Wide_Web

But I strongy doubt that names of Amiga software gives you any clues... You culture in software is firmly tied with names of Big Boss & Worldwide Known Software  ;011

(obviously I did not intend to offend you here. It is just a matter of facts that people worldwide consider only "THE NAME"(TM)...

If the name of the software is not tied to a famous BRAND, then the software is considered not good or not existing.

Think for example the fact that people worldwide consider Linux no good because it does not run a software named Office, MICROSOFT OFFICE... to be precise... But Linux just runs some strange unknown software called OPEN Office... ;013  ;014 )
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

iDarbert

OK, there's no point in arguing with you. Even answering politely doesn't prevent you from being so arrogant and you don't even try to understand what one actually means, so have fun replying to things I've never said.

I actually wrote answers for all that but you know what? You would think I'm a moron anyway, so why should I bother trying to change your mind? Considering your other contributions to this forum it's probably for the best, it was my mistake to answer you on the first place.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

iDarbert

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"ITT: YOU JUST
lawl

Hope you guys didn't mind the show  ;020

NejinOniwa

QuoteHope you guys didn't mind the show
Well, I'll say...
7/10.

iDarbert

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"
QuoteHope you guys didn't mind the show
Well, I'll say...
7/10.
So is it succesfull or unsuccessful troll?
discuss.

also pic not related

NejinOniwa

iDarbert

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"
Don't worry, you did a good job.
saged and reported.
Oh, wait.

NejinOniwa

CaptBrenden

alright, seems both of you hopped off the path and wandered off into the wild blue yonder back there somewhere. Please turn around and attempt to find the path again...

...then again dont.  Since before it was just arguing back and forth over the same trivial stuff.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Aurora Borealis

I've been watching this thread carefully as the arguments were steering dangerously close to the flamewar zone.

But I'll also take this time to say that I have watched the "Still Alive" animation and I think it is pretty funny and the animation was nicely done. Thought the song was cool too.