Bella's OS-tan Manga Thread

Started by Bella, April 17, 2008, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Okay, here's one third of Chapter Three. I couldn't really think of a good name...any suggestions will be heeded (especially if they have to do with time travel/the future).

Notes: Not much to say here, I spent very little time in post-production. A lot of the lighting effects were done in Inkscape, with some cleaning done in PS.

NejinOniwa

Plot thickens. -w- Fufufufufufufu.

I liek.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Thank you Nejin-san! It's nice to hear you're following my comic.

And I must say...that is one mesmerizing signature *___*

NejinOniwa

I daresay, thine claim doth verily sound in mine ears. -w-

C-Chan

Well I can say this for now (till I get reply in proper)...

When Bella-hime says she'll deliver, she delivers in style. ^___^

I wouldn't mind the inking -- these still look wonderous without it, especially the demolished cityscapes.

Oh, my poor 2.0-chan.  ^o^
(the way she's drawn and acts, though, reminds me a bit of Nodoka from Negima)

Bella

QuoteWell I can say this for now (till I get reply in proper)...

When Bella-hime says she'll deliver, she delivers in style. ^___^

I wouldn't mind the inking -- these still look wonderous without it, especially the demolished cityscapes.

Oh, my poor 2.0-chan. ^o^
(the way she's drawn and acts, though, reminds me a bit of Nodoka from Negima)

Wha? This is inked! Though I use pencil for some shading and also do digital shading.

Hmmm...Nodoka?

*googles*

What'da know, 2.0-chan does look a bit like her. Hmph. :P

Okay, next four pages. If you don't want me to post them, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Okay!

Notes: I've hinted a bit about what sort of time travel Leopard-chan would use, but I'm still not solid on the exact details. I do think her time machine might use extremely concentrated energy to bend time, in this case, the energy being light. In real life, light-powered time machines have been proposed, but a notable flaw would be their ability to only transport energy on the sub-atomic level (as in, photons and electrons), so perhaps Leo-chan's machine works on a different basis :P

Aurora Borealis

Once again I envy your superb ability at drawing complex backgrounds! ;010

Awww.... I feel so sad for Windows 1.0-chan and 2.0-chan, having to live in a shabby apartment with no utilities, winter is coming and they don't have any money to move out, and the part where 2.0-chan cries that her younger relatives do not acknowledge her existence!

It really is unfortunate that the two girls who represent the Windows OSes that were supported the longest (Windows 1.0 was released in 1985 and 2.0 in 1987 and were supported until Dec 31 2001!) are the most forgotten and suffered greatly :(

But hooray for Leopard-tan's time travel, showing Linux-sama the future! (excellent work with the special effects) :D

C-Chan

Whoops... the comic doubled in size while I was gone.  ^^;

No worries... I brought my siege weapons with me, and shall bombard the ramparts of your fortress on the 'Morrow.

If that GAWDLY-awesome closeup of Linux-sama's eyes are any indication, I'm gonna have my work cut out dispensing praise up the wazoo.  

What can I say?  You suffer from acute WIN.  
You really should consider seeing a doctor about it, you know.  -.-

Nuker

This is awesome. Just. Awesome.

Bella, I can now say, without any doubt, that you, this thread, and your OS-tan manga are made from pure, refined, concentrated, enhanced WIN.

Keep drawing! ^^

C-Chan

Indeed if WIN could be analogized as juice, Bella-hime would be a can of concentrate.  ^^

Now then, time for my siege.  Stand by.  ^.^

*starts typing furiously*

Added after 1 minutes:

EDIT:  Whoops,... I guess the crushing weight of Bella's boots made me forget to reply to the older stuff.  Better take care of that too.  ^___^;

*starts typing even MORE furiously*

Added after 1 hours 5 minutes:

Quotepage 1: I actually drew a lot of cars and trucks when I was younger; I actually wanted to be a automotive designer for some time. Maybe that's where my talent for vehicles comes in ^///^

It is true that you're vehicles are as finely detailed as your clothing.  So while I still think you'd make a great fashion designer, it's nice to know you once considered something more technical.  ^^

A loooooooooong time ago in my youth, when I used to draw in colored pencils and stuff (and also hitch a ride on dinosaurs), I drew a lot of landscape artwork and always wanted to be a landscape artist (among other things).

Ironically, I've only rarely drawn landscapes in my OS-tan artwork -- I can think of the first Mac House comic panel, Puppy-chan's Ryoga cosplay pic and that list portraiture of C128-san and VIC20-chan as notable exceptions, but still...

Just surprising how much things change.  -.-

But I would venture to guess that for the majority of her life, she would have wondered why such a great burden was placed on her. She was the most ambitious OS-tan of her day (or maybe in history), and would have felt she had to live up to her creators' ambitions, often sacrificing her physical and/or psychological health in the process. She'd have also struggled with thinking that she could never live up to the expectation of what she could do, although this would have lessened with age.

All in all, being born so rich and powerful was not a good thing for Multics-sama...

In other words, she was basically raised to live someone else's dreams.  That is very sad, although not uncommon -- how many children are subjected to the dreams, beliefs and expectations of the parent that may not necessarily be in their best interest?  They can't say yes or no,... they just go along with it without question and pay the consequences later.

*continues typing*

Added after 2 hours 55 minutes:

And yes, I do suppose Multics-sama would have talked very elegantly; that is to say, when she wasn't talking in FRICKIN' LATIN! :P

Vini Vidi Vici....  ^.^

or as I like to call it....

Weany Weedy Weaky.  -v-

page 4: Well, I figured that all things with feathers would have to molt sometime. I think Multics-sama wouldn't have been too happy about having wings; she'd have derided her creators for coming up with the idea, as they would be of no real use to her...only getting in her way during fights and being one more body part to injure -__-

I need to borrow one of your emoticons for this....

XD

And I do think CTSS-sama would have been very affectionate with Multics-sama; but she also would have been very no-nonsense and practical, and would have disliked seeing would-be daughter engaging in play she deemed "un-ladylike". While CTSS-sama would have liked ITS-san, she also would have thought she was too rough and tumble.

Poor CTSS-sama wouldn't last two seconds in the modern OS-tan world, where rough and tumble is the way of life.  ^^

I've often wondered if EXEC-sama should be the same way, although not having been raised in the same conditions she likely would be too humble to complain about 'unladylike' this or 'unsavory' that.

On the other hand, it would be nice to think of a few pet peeves for her.  ^^

page 11: OMG...you're right...Multics-sama and XP-san do have a bit in common...

*bawls*

XP-SAAAAAMMMMMAAAA!!!

Incidentally, the market is abuzz with the notion that Windows 7 will fix all our problems and do your laundry too, so for sure now the end of Windows XP is probably nigh.  Regardless of whether the hype behind 7 is substantial or just the usual bullcrap.

After all, you can't build in digital rights management without bloat.

I never did think that ITS-san would know of Multics-sama's and Unix-sama's relation, either...

I also want to keep that a heavily guarded secret, so there's no way for someone like ZX Spectrum-tan to come across that fact and pass it on to ITS-sama in the present day.

After all, UNIX-sama is co-benefactor to the Binteji Renmei, but its not without some self-interest for her.  Of course she'd keep tabs on everyone secretly, and would know the moment someone engages in an inconvenient line of investigation.

Luckily, intervening is as simple as just removing an incriminating book from a library to bring the investigation to a dead-end halt.  -v-

Cambridge refers to the town that MIT is located in (and where the GNU project was/is based). I'm very proud as a New Englander that half of GNU/Linux was designed in my neck of the woods, so to speak. Just about every DEC OS, VMS, ITS, CTSS, CP/CMS, Primos-- and of course a great deal of Multics --were designed in Massachusetts, and NH has DTSS...so we have a lot of great OSes to claim as our own. ^^

That is actually amazing when you think about it.  ^^
Not sure how often I say this, but I'm very happy you're participation here has helped you unover a lot of your state/region's proud IT heritage.  ^___^

Not like them Arizonans having GECOS T___T

BWAHAHA!  >v<

Linux-sama was born in Finland, but working this fun fact into the story is a bit hard--I mean, I imagined she'd talk with just a slight Finish accent, but that's a bit hard to illustrate. XD

I honestly wouldn't even know how that would sound.  >.<
I'd guess it'd be like a cross between a Swede and a Russian trying to speak English.

That's where I envy Anime productions... they only have to worry about characters speaking Japanese, Japanese with a Kansai accent, or Engrish.  ^.^'

Oh, but that would be sooo cute if Linux-sama had an ever so subtle accent.  *coos*  ^.^

Course, by now she'd be highly polylingual.  -v-

I'm not going to get too deep into what war caused the damage, but that's a good compromise.

And it's not an uncommon scenario either. Especially after the two World Wars, it was not uncommon for war-ravaged areas to be embroiled in further internal conflicts.  China is perhaps the largest and most dramatic example.

I was actually toying around with the idea of having a scene where Slack-chan meets Unix-sama (near the end of the last chapter) but wasn't sure if it would be hokey or not :P

Oh, just add a little humor.  ^.^
Besides, supposing Slack-chan was still timid, demure and reverent back then?  Up until Slack-chan got a little too fervent for her britches, UNIX-sama might have actually found her company.... quaint.  

Sounds good! Or, I could compromise again--maybe Linux-sama started to scold them when Solaris-tan had enough and decided to knock her out...

True that -- especially if the powerful Solaris-sama is sent in, we wouldn't want to present Linux-sama as being TOO powerful back in that day.  She was still a fledgling open sourceress.

Ahhh, so this is why they haven't been overrun by angry Unix troops yet. GECOS-san is their tactical advisor! ^^

Well of course there's more, but the Old Crone does lend an interesting mix of experience and ruthlessness to the table.  She knows how she can strike fear in chaos among the ranks of Unix troops, but as you can see from my UUU-tan comments, she's also good at pissing off her own so-called "friends".  ^^;

Added after 34 minutes:

QuoteOkay, here's one third of Chapter Three. I couldn't really think of a good name...any suggestions will be heeded (especially if they have to do with time travel/the future).

YAY!!  ^__^
As for the name.... huh, didn't really realize we had names for the chapters.  ''

How about "Paradox Bait"... bwahahaha!!!  ^v^;

PANEL 1:  Brilliant!  I don't remember if I said a demolished city would be easy to draw, or whether you could pull it off based on prior great cityscapes you did.  Either way, you pulled it off nicely.

True, there aren't enough scenes to show the scope of destruction, but there's enough to convey the idea.  After all, this isn't really what you want to focus on in this chapter.  ^.^

Not sure if the antiquated clothing in the window display was intentional, but it's a cute touch.  So is the Lost poster, but I thick I can make out a "VAX" in the description.  And is that a Festivus poster above? ''

PANEL 2:  Fufufu... 2.0-chan.  ^.^
Well you already read my comment about Nodoka -- still stands, but that is a compliment.  Nodoka was a charming character (although I still prefer Yue).  ^___^

In the running scene, 2.0-chan's limbs and action lines seem fine, but Linux-sama's don't quite seem to make sense.  It almost seems like she's flying/floating, even though what she's actually doing is lunging forward.

PANEL 3:  Well 2.0-chan was hardly street-smart at the time and she's still shaken from all the violence.  So it likely never occurred to her that if someone is chasing her down intending to hurt her and her mom, the last thing she would be doing is leading the assailant to their home.  ^_________^;

But with a darling, innocent face of Linux-sama to comfort them, of course things would work out alright.  ^.^

PANEL 4:  Ah, I think I see now what you mean about 1.0-san being out of it.  Despite all that's happened, she seems... not entirely concerned of the predicament they're in.  The home is a wreck, it's not like you can go and buy one elsewhere at that particular time, the regional money has probably long been devalued,....

And of course there's gonna be no height if there isn't anyone left in the housing complex to run the boiler room.  Oh, and 1.0-san is giving food and supplies to a total stranger as if it's nothing.  ^.^'

Not that this is all bad per se, but no doubt that is what 2.0-chan might be thinking.  Aside from the trauma, she also has to contend with this apparent madness.  No doubt she probably wanted to leave a long time ago, and continues to ask herself day after day why they're still there.  ''

Poor Linux-sama asked the question that broke the camel's back, but it can't be helped -- she probably didn't know who the Windows Family were and why they would allow their own family to be exiled.

Oh,... is that picture frame in the wall what I think it is?  ^.^

PANEL 5:  GAH!  My poor 2.0-chan!  ^-^
Is that her side profile in the middle of the panel (next to "We might as well be dead to them!"), or is that Linux-sama having second thoughts about her uninvolvement in the wars?

I'm sure by now Linux-sama and 2.0-chan have met together again under much better circumstances -- if so, I think it would make for a very interesting and sweet (or bittersweet?) pseudo-epilogue for this panel segment.  ^^

The closeup shot of Linux-sama waking up is the best one I've seen of her in this panel set, if anything because her eyes are the best defined here.

But what's with the candy offer?  ^.^

QuoteNotes: Not much to say here, I spent very little time in post-production. A lot of the lighting effects were done in Inkscape, with some cleaning done in PS.

Ah sorry, I misinterpretted "post-production" with inking, hence my stupid comment.  Ignore that -- it's just C-chan dispensing a few more buckets full of suckage. ^^;

Added after 1 hours 5 minutes:

Okay, next four pages. If you don't want me to post them, speak now or forever hold your peace...

Okay!

No, I object to your posting them! I don't like them!  BLEH!  *raspberries* >v<

Oh wait, you posted them anyway.  Fufufu... ^.^

PANEL 6:  Ah, I think I get the candy reference now.  ^__^
But it wasn't entirely clear that the setting transitioned into the train -- I thought she was still in the 1.0-san's and 2.0-chan's house (or so called house anyway).  Maybe if you were able to fit in a brief cameo of the locomotive prior to the shot of Linux-sama sleeping, it might've helped drive the point. ^__^

I don't recall seeing Linux-sama angry, upset or annoyed much in this comic, so it's kinda adorable to see her suspicious in that one shot. ^>^

Likewise, Leopard-chan seems to be her older sexier self, and by GAWDS the freckles... *SQUEALS*  >v<

I can kinda understand Linux-sama's dilemma, but truth be told, just like how you can't fight inflation with MORE inflation, you can't stop war with more war.  Two wrongs don't make a right, but rather one big-ass wrong.  -v-

Had she jumped in at the time to help out, even if just by being a nurse, her participation simply would have legitimized and reinforced that which was already corrupt.  If you want to end wars, you have to at least try to change the world.  If you feel you can't change the world, then don't be surprised if wars don't end anytime soon.  

Helping individual people is a means to the goal, but it would be a waste to consider it the end goal.

This at least is how I would explain it to Linux-sama if I were in Leopard-chan's shoes.  -v-

*measures self with ruler*

Oh wait,... I COULD be in Leopard-chan's shoes.  *evil lecherous grin* @v@

PANEL 7:  Now we'll start on what I feel are the award-winning panels in terms of Best Special Effects.  ^___^

First off, the disjointed handhold is quite masterful -- not only is it a great execution of a very common and respected techique to show focus, but they're fingers are nicely articulated, especially for such a fast picture.

Then we have the fantastic lighting effects coming from the watch in the next two panels, complete with onomatopeia of the train whistle literally blasting an opening into the Future arch.  ^^

The little cutaway of Linux-sama's room in the Future (er, Present) is positioned in a great location -- plus you have to be awarded substantial points for the very subtle yet very gorgeous lighting filtering in from the curtains, which are drawn with amazing realism.  ^___^

PANEL 8:  And then my absolute favorite closeup of all!  The eyes, the lashes, the brows, the wisp of hair, the shading and elegant reflections -- and just the overall drama of the shock so lusciously illustrated in this one seemingly insignifcant transitional pic.  Is it naive of me to consider this one section of the panel to be an epic Tour de Force?  ^___^

*stares at next few "lingerie" panels*

*widens lecherous grin*  @v@

On second thought, I'll just... uh... do a little.... quality control... yeah... on the next few sections.  ^____^

Massive sex appeal aside, the scene is funny as hell.  A few years ago a young girl subjected me to this horrible Disney movie called "30 over 13" or something like that (thankfully she was a smart one, so it wasn't long before we were both poking fun at it).  However, I remember the scene where the highly impressionable 80's girl wishes herself into her 30-year old self in the future, and quickly starts to scream and freak at everything that moved in her apartment.

This is kinda like that, but with so much more WIN I deserve 50 lashes for even daring to make that kind of comparison. ^_____^;

Oh, and I can recognize Ubuntu-chan, but hard to say who the lady next to her or the dude in the background are.  I'll guess the guy is Linus in a rare cameo, but as for the girl....

*picks random Linux-tan*

I'll say it's Mandriva-sama and hope for the best.  ^.^

PANEL 9:  The LOLZ continues.  ^>^
The actions lines for all the shaking work nicely here, and Leopard-chan's expression (that of borderline asphyxiation) is priceless.

Oh and just spotted her tail.  ^.^

*lecherous smile is accompanied by nosebleed*

Stupid Ichigo 100% rubbed all that needless perversion on me.  Hopefully it'll go away with a little... *checks Anime queue*.... Shuffle?  I'm doomed.  >___<

It must be particularly strange for Linux-chan to be average girl-next-door one minute, and then suddenly be plunged into a kind of motherhood on steroids.  At the same time, it must be some comfort for her to know that she will never have to worry about passing on a legacy -- that part's covered 1000x over.  ^_____^

Did you use a reference shot for that building entrance to, or is it the lighting that makes it look absolutely exquisite?  ^.^

Speaking of exquisite, Linux-sama's face, hair and humina-hummus uniform that you've thankfully popularized here all conspire to absolutely FLOOR me this evening.  @v@

*SWOONS*

All in all, this keeps getting better and better.  ^___^
Am I gonna have to find another promotion past Bella-hime?
Empress Bella maybe?  @o@

NejinOniwa

QuoteI honestly wouldn't even know how that would sound. >.<
I'd guess it'd be like a cross between a Swede and a Russian trying to speak English.
Actually, not at all. Both Swedish and Russian are part of the Indo-European language tree, while Finnish is one of the few languages on the Finnish-Ugric language tree. It's not alike at all.

However, you can ask either me or VonDaab-kun to provide a sample, if you wish ^^ I'm a master of dialects.

Added after 5 minutes:

in fact that's not necessary either. Have some clip of Finnish President (or ex-, I dunno) speaking english. Good illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMSWA-FKHRE

Added after 4 minutes:

QuotePANEL 6: Ah, I think I get the candy reference now. ^__^
But it wasn't entirely clear that the setting transitioned into the train -- I thought she was still in the 1.0-san's and 2.0-chan's house (or so called house anyway). Maybe if you were able to fit in a brief cameo of the locomotive prior to the shot of Linux-sama sleeping, it might've helped drive the point. ^__^
quoted for truth. I also had a bit of confusion thrown at me at this part.

C-Chan

QuoteActually, not at all. Both Swedish and Russian are part of the Indo-European language tree, while Finnish is one of the few languages on the Finnish-Ugric language tree. It's not alike at all.

Aa sou sou, that's not uncommon at all.  Romania is right smack dab in the middle of slavic countries, but it's language is technically a Romance one.  And the Ainu language in Japan has nothing in common with anything even remotely Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Russian.

in fact that's not necessary either. Have some clip of Finnish President (or ex-, I dunno) speaking english. Good illustration.

*squeals with delight*  A younger girl might've been nice, but no this is great.  ^__^
This tells me that Linux-sama, while better at enunciating words in other languages, would certainly have a tendency to stress the "oo"s and "u"s and slur compound consonants (like "dr-", "sh-", "th-" and "ch-").  ^^

Bella

QuoteOnce again I envy your superb ability at drawing complex backgrounds!

Awww.... I feel so sad for Windows 1.0-chan and 2.0-chan, having to live in a shabby apartment with no utilities, winter is coming and they don't have any money to move out, and the part where 2.0-chan cries that her younger relatives do not acknowledge her existence!

It really is unfortunate that the two girls who represent the Windows OSes that were supported the longest (Windows 1.0 was released in 1985 and 2.0 in 1987 and were supported until Dec 31 2001!) are the most forgotten and suffered greatly

I didn't know M$ supported 1.0 and 2.0 for so long! Then again, their supporting the systems probably doesn't mean much (XP will probably be supported for a long time, and look at how they treat it).

Anyhow, thank you!

QuoteBut hooray for Leopard-tan's time travel, showing Linux-sama the future! (excellent work with the special effects)

Yeah, I really went wild with the special effects. You can do stuff like that with Inkscape :)

QuoteThis is awesome. Just. Awesome.

Bella, I can now say, without any doubt, that you, this thread, and your OS-tan manga are made from pure, refined, concentrated, enhanced WIN.

Keep drawing! ^^

Thank you so much, Nuker-san! I'm happy your reading my manga :3

QuoteIt is true that you're vehicles are as finely detailed as your clothing. So while I still think you'd make a great fashion designer, it's nice to know you once considered something more technical. ^^

A loooooooooong time ago in my youth, when I used to draw in colored pencils and stuff (and also hitch a ride on dinosaurs), I drew a lot of landscape artwork and always wanted to be a landscape artist (among other things).

Ironically, I've only rarely drawn landscapes in my OS-tan artwork -- I can think of the first Mac House comic panel, Puppy-chan's Ryoga cosplay pic and that list portraiture of C128-san and VIC20-chan as notable exceptions, but still...

Just surprising how much things change. -.-

That's interesting to know. I consider myself the opposite-- I'm not naturally good with, nor do I greatly enjoy drawing, backgrounds and landscapes, but I practice enough to make it work.

QuoteIn other words, she was basically raised to live someone else's dreams. That is very sad, although not uncommon -- how many children are subjected to the dreams, beliefs and expectations of the parent that may not necessarily be in their best interest? They can't say yes or no,... they just go along with it without question and pay the consequences later

If you think about it, that's the situation a lot of proprietary OS-tans are in -__-

QuoteI need to borrow one of your emoticons for this....

XD

Whaaaa? That was supposed to be a very sad point. Or is this just retribution for my occasional use of verticons? ~__^

QuoteI also want to keep that a heavily guarded secret, so there's no way for someone like ZX Spectrum-tan to come across that fact and pass it on to ITS-sama in the present day.

After all, UNIX-sama is co-benefactor to the Binteji Renmei, but its not without some self-interest for her. Of course she'd keep tabs on everyone secretly, and would know the moment someone engages in an inconvenient line of investigation.

Luckily, intervening is as simple as just removing an incriminating book from a library to bring the investigation to a dead-end halt. -v-

We better hope the Vintage-tans don't have web access, cause the internetz are abuzz with all sorts of conspiracies linking Unix and Multics XD

*points to Multicians.org page titled "Our Famous Child"*

QuoteThat is actually amazing when you think about it. ^^
Not sure how often I say this, but I'm very happy you're participation here has helped you unover a lot of your state/region's proud IT heritage. ^___^

Like I need more pride... ^^

*starts waving NH/Mass. flags*

QuoteI honestly wouldn't even know how that would sound. >.<

That's where I envy Anime productions... they only have to worry about characters speaking Japanese, Japanese with a Kansai accent, or Engrish. ^.^'

Oh, but that would be sooo cute if Linux-sama had an ever so subtle accent. *coos* ^.^

Course, by now she'd be highly polylingual. -v-

Well, she's an honorary Massachusettsan, so I wonder if she's picked up a bit of New Englander accent...

@____@

*head asplodes trying to imagine Finnish/Mass. accent*

QuoteOh, just add a little humor. ^.^
Besides, supposing Slack-chan was still timid, demure and reverent back then? Up until Slack-chan got a little too fervent for her britches, UNIX-sama might have actually found her company.... quaint.

Somehow I think Slack-chan has always been on the...hyper side :P

QuoteTrue that -- especially if the powerful Solaris-sama is sent in, we wouldn't want to present Linux-sama as being TOO powerful back in that day. She was still a fledgling open sourceress.

I've been tossing around the idea of making the fifth chapter focus on Solaris-san's backstory...I don't know if I can come up with enough stuff, but it would probably feature the yet undrawn SpringOS-tan. I would like to hint that Solaris-tan's dislike of Linux-sama came from the fear that she would cause the Unix Wars to escalate, and that she would eventually overtake the old Unix family.

But I still have to think up ideas for the fourth chapter, which I suppose is going to focus on Emacs-kun (and ITS-san, and WAITS-san)...

But to reply to your review, (omitting quotes for the sake of speed)...

PANEL 1:
That's a lost animal/whatnot poster, I think that actually says "if found call (some ilegible number)", and the other is supposed to say "festival".

PANEL 2:
I suppose you're right (about Linux-sama not looking quite right). Oh well -___-

PANEL 4:
This all sounds about right, I figured 2.0-chan would actually be a lot more reasonable than her mom, and would realize what was going on fully. Linux-sama doesn't know who they are at this point, either. And yes, that picture is 1.0-san's family collage

PANEL 5:
No, that's 2.0-chan in the middle of the panel. I should have made it clearer, but Linux-sama is just thinking back to this meeting...

PANEL 6:
...and I was going to show a shot of the train, but I ended up having a shot of Linux-sama sleeping. The candy reference really doesn't mean anything...yet.

PANEL 7:

The noise is actually supposed to be coming from the time machine, but the tunnel does have a bit of symbolic meaning. Just as a tunnel is dug through a solid material and used to get from one point to another in a shorter time, time-travel is a shortcut though the fabric of spacetime in order to end up at another point...or so I think.

PANEL 8:
Haha! I remeber seeing that movie! I think it's called 13 Going On 30.

At any rate, I'm glad my fans are being serviced well XD

And you don't recognize who's next to Ubuntu-san? That's none other than Slackware-chan (in her black outfit with white lab-coat). She's even holding a pipe. The dude in the distance...I dunno, I guess he's Random file/program-kun (aka, an extra).

PANEL 9:
Well, I think even at this point she would have known her DNA/Source code was pretty much open for anyone to use, so she must have realized she could end up with a lot of daughters. O__o
And no, I didn't use any reference shots for this page. Luckily I'm decent at conceptualizing perspective...

QuoteAll in all, this keeps getting better and better. ^___^
Am I gonna have to find another promotion past Bella-hime?
Empress Bella maybe? @o@

And I stand by my claim that my only talent is being able to pick up new stuff quickly. ^///^

QuoteActually, not at all. Both Swedish and Russian are part of the Indo-European language tree, while Finnish is one of the few languages on the Finnish-Ugric language tree. It's not alike at all.

However, you can ask either me or VonDaab-kun to provide a sample, if you wish ^^ I'm a master of dialects.

Added after 5 minutes:

Hmm, thanks for the clip! This surprised me too, because in any movies or whatever with a Finnish character, they usually sound vaguely Scandinavian...

Quote*squeals with delight* A younger girl might've been nice, but no this is great. ^__^
This tells me that Linux-sama, while better at enunciating words in other languages, would certainly have a tendency to stress the "oo"s and "u"s and slur compound consonants (like "dr-", "sh-", "th-" and "ch-"). ^^

And of course, any NE OS-tans would have a tendency to completely forget about the existence of T's and R's, and replace them with D's, and Ah's.

No really, I think in 1700s New England, people who pronounced those two letters were convicted of practicing witchcraft. O__o

Aurora Borealis

I didn't know M$ supported 1.0 and 2.0 for so long!
I was surprised too, considering that Windows 1 did not sell well at all!

Then again, their supporting the systems probably doesn't mean much (XP will probably be supported for a long time, and look at how they treat it).
I feel sad for XP-san! :(

That's interesting to know. I consider myself the opposite-- I'm not naturally good with, nor do I greatly enjoy drawing, backgrounds and landscapes, but I practice enough to make it work.
I can completely relate to that!

If you think about it, that's the situation a lot of proprietary OS-tans are in -__-
True that, and it's particuarly bad for the Mac and Windows-tans who all must accept the fact that they will one day be replaced by a younger sister.

We better hope the Vintage-tans don't have web access, cause the internetz are abuzz with all sorts of conspiracies linking Unix and Multics XD

If they do have internet access, I imagine that Unix-sama would have surely blocked some certain sites.

Like I need more pride... ^^

*starts waving NH/Mass. flags*
Too bad that the state that I live in is not reputed for being... tech-savvy :(

Somehow I think Slack-chan has always been on the...hyper side :P
I agree!

I've been tossing around the idea of making the fifth chapter focus on Solaris-san's backstory...I don't know if I can come up with enough stuff, but it would probably feature the yet undrawn SpringOS-tan. I would like to hint that Solaris-tan's dislike of Linux-sama came from the fear that she would cause the Unix Wars to escalate, and that she would eventually overtake the old Unix family.
I did have a preconcept backstory and description of her posted up months ago but to recap:

SpringOS-tan was Solaris-tan's much younger sister who was a child prodigy and an artist (specializing in abstract paintings), and very down-to-earth. She died young but was around to teach her older sister some things, even including some spells.

Appearance-wise, she is young-looking (I'd say a preteen) with curly hair, wears a dress in purple + orange + magenta, wears a lot of flower, butterfly and spring-shaped accessories.  

Solaris-tan was devastated over SpringOS-tan's death, and part of her motives for becoming Open Source were to avoid the same fate as her and a some of her bitterness stems from the fact that none of the other Unices were very supportive in her time of need.

PANEL 4:
This all sounds about right, I figured 2.0-chan would actually be a lot more reasonable than her mom, and would realize what was going on fully. Linux-sama doesn't know who they are at this point, either. And yes, that picture is 1.0-san's family collage
AAAUGH! I didn't notice that was the family collage in the background! But kudos to you, Bella, for adding such references! ;019

And you don't recognize who's next to Ubuntu-san? That's none other than Slackware-chan (in her black outfit with white lab-coat). She's even holding a pipe. The dude in the distance...I dunno, I guess he's Random file/program-kun (aka, an extra).
And I didn't notice the pipe! *slaps self in forehead* I'm slipping behind on  OS-tan knowledge and trivia! ;__;

C-Chan

QuoteI didn't know M$ supported 1.0 and 2.0 for so long! Then again, their supporting the systems probably doesn't mean much (XP will probably be supported for a long time, and look at how they treat it).

Anyhow, thank you!

My experience of tech support for Windows 98:

"Get Windows XP."

Yeeeeeeah...  -.-;

QuoteWhaaaa? That was supposed to be a very sad point. Or is this just retribution for my occasional use of verticons? ~__^

The latter.  ^^
Nah, it's just that I still can't get over the molting thing.  ROTFL material right there.  ^^

QuoteWe better hope the Vintage-tans don't have web access, cause the internetz are abuzz with all sorts of conspiracies linking Unix and Multics XD

Actually, call me crazy, but I always imagined their direct "internet connection" (or OS-tan equivalent) would be rather... rustic.  ^^'
Either supplied by Quantum-san or concurrently, I always thought of something intermittent like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6929404.stm

If they need something better, any of them can make the hike to town -- but even THERE the connection is rather primitive.  They would have to make an exodus to a larger town or city for at least a little bit of broadband (and naturally, they'd bring enough bags with them to make the trip count).  ^.^

It's not that they want to live in the dark ages... but with so few vintage-tans able to take advantage of the internetz, building the pipeline is FAR down on the list of priorities.  (Much to C64-tans' dismay.  ^^;)

In any event, it's during these excursions where UNIX-sama [and Co.?] have to work overtime to hide anything linking UNIX-sama with Multics-sama.

QuoteSomehow I think Slack-chan has always been on the...hyper side :P

Okay,... then we'll just say she had a "quaint hyperness" to her.  Like how one might think a hyperactive child is cute, but a hyperactive adult creepy. ^^;

*keeps typing*

Added after 23 minutes:

QuoteI've been tossing around the idea of making the fifth chapter focus on Solaris-san's backstory...I don't know if I can come up with enough stuff, but it would probably feature the yet undrawn SpringOS-tan. I would like to hint that Solaris-tan's dislike of Linux-sama came from the fear that she would cause the Unix Wars to escalate, and that she would eventually overtake the old Unix family.

I think that can only be a small part of the reason, since the Unix Family was SO Balkanized at that point that more misery could only offer more company.

On the other hand, I would say she fiercely loathed the FOSS aspect of her in much the same way as an oil mogul would loathe wind, solar and geothermal energy.  It not only threatened her "business" (read family), but also threatened to change society as she knew it.  And as you might imagine, the defense of the status quo is a POWERFUL and FEARFUL drive, often taking on religious proportions itself (albeit more subtly).

QuoteThe noise is actually supposed to be coming from the time machine, but the tunnel does have a bit of symbolic meaning. Just as a tunnel is dug through a solid material and used to get from one point to another in a shorter time, time-travel is a shortcut though the fabric of spacetime in order to end up at another point...or so I think.

That's right, I was looking for the right way to point out the double-meaning behind the train tunnel/time jump.  That explains it nicely.  ^^

QuoteAnd you don't recognize who's next to Ubuntu-san? That's none other than Slackware-chan (in her black outfit with white lab-coat). She's even holding a pipe. The dude in the distance...I dunno, I guess he's Random file/program-kun (aka, an extra).

Ack!  I missed Slack-chan!  ;^-^;
Feel free to give me a pounding... -v-

QuoteWell, I think even at this point she would have known her DNA/Source code was pretty much open for anyone to use, so she must have realized she could end up with a lot of daughters. O__o

On the other hand, I'm not sure if she really gave that some thought.  Unless Minix-sensei used Unix-sama as a prime example of code propagation, Linux-sama might have easily been like "oh, okay, my DNA is open,... that's nice".  ^^

QuoteHmm, thanks for the clip! This surprised me too, because in any movies or whatever with a Finnish character, they usually sound vaguely Scandinavian...

...And Mexicans are played by Welsh, Spanish or Italian actors.  Damn you Hollywood!  *shakes fist*  >.<

QuoteToo bad that the state that I live in is not reputed for being... tech-savvy  

*inches closer out of curiosity*

I'm just gonna go ahead and use my geography expertise to make random guesses each day till I pick up the right one.  ^^

*makes Random US state guess*

Puerto Rico!  ^v^

Oh come on, you gotta admit it might as well be.... fufufu... -v-;
(and it fits the bill... a friend of mine living there has to spend an EXORBITANT amount of money just for a small hint of broadband).

QuoteI did have a preconcept backstory and description of her posted up months ago but to recap:

SpringOS-tan was Solaris-tan's much younger sister who was a child prodigy and an artist (specializing in abstract paintings), and very down-to-earth. She died young but was around to teach her older sister some things, even including some spells.

Appearance-wise, she is young-looking (I'd say a preteen) with curly hair, wears a dress in purple + orange + magenta, wears a lot of flower, butterfly and spring-shaped accessories.

Solaris-tan was devastated over SpringOS-tan's death, and part of her motives for becoming Open Source were to avoid the same fate as her and a some of her bitterness stems from the fact that none of the other Unices were very supportive in her time of need.

Ah yes I remember!  ^^
Kind of ironic that SpringOS-tan seemed like the kind of girl that would have gotten beautifully along with Linux-sama.  ^^

I would even propose that a driving reason for her ill-health (and eventual abandonment by the majority of the Unix Family) was that Spring-chan had grown TOO diverged from her Unix roots.

Could we consider this yet another reason why Solaris-sama, for many years, would be a fierce protector of the status quo?

QuoteAnd I didn't notice the pipe! *slaps self in forehead* I'm slipping behind on OS-tan knowledge and trivia! ;__;

You and me both.  ^.^
Wanna share dunce hats?