MEWXPZLFUDAWV Club!

Started by Bella, November 29, 2007, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteWhat a fun fact! I really like that opening song, but I never would've associated it with PCDOS-tan (maybe someone sadder, like Xenix or OS/2-san or somebody). Then again...I can see where it would fit PSDOS-tan, especially her relationship with, and separation from, MSDOS-tan.

Oh don't worry, I have SADDER music for those two (then again, I've always viewed OS/2-tan as being more action-oriented).  ^^

QuoteAlright, guys, now it's delivered and purchased. Say hello to my new friend, NIA-tan!

Gah...?  ''

QuoteTHE AWESOMEST THING EVER MADE; A JOYSTICK ON ME FOREHEAD. Gives an ENTIRELY new meaning to the word...mindgames.

Oh, and someone has to help me in drawing her up. While not an OS, this piece of FABULOUS hardware deserves it by far. Read up on it, and be FABULIZED...for I HAS GAMING BCI.
>:3

Zuh.... ''

QuoteDownside is...it's DAMN hard to control those brainwaves... ^v^;

.... Buh... -.-

I actually did know that they were available in the consumer market, but just not exactly at an affordable price.  On the other hand, it's not like I live in the Mecca of cutting edge technology here.  -.-;

But you've always said you had trouble concentrating and stuff, so... uh... you sure you'll be alright with this?  ^____^'

QuoteAnd silly Nejin, of course it's unreliable to fire a gun with your eyebrows. Why do you think guns weren't designed to be head-mounted, huh?

*imagines having guns mounted on head and suddenly catching sight of the girl of his dreams*

Wow!  Humina hummus!  ^V^

*guns ablazing*

Uhhh.... ¬¬;

In any event, morbid dramatizations aside, how does this work?  (link is blocked from my current location)

Does it actually "read" your thoughts or just register your facial movements (e.g., eyebrows = fire)

QuoteAs for designing an NIA-tan, I volunteer you for the job. She'd be very futuristic, and probably be a mind-reader (gosh a lot of them are showing up lately), and love to game. >:P

Currently have a lot on my mind, so I'll agree to that till I can think up something better.  -v-

====================

In other news, I finished my first PyQt4 tutorial; while it wasn't that substantial, the next tutorial is more hands-on training with QT4 designer, so I think that'll be fun.  My Concentration Game draws near.  -.-

Also, here's something that popped up just a month to late for Ian-san.  ^^'

http://lifehacker.com/5069054/battle-of-the-thumb-drive-linux-systems

NejinOniwa

It's no mind-reader, it's not like I can think "shoot" and it'll do that. However it measures certain parameters like facial muscle movement, eye muscle movement (glance) and 6 different brain wave parameters (Beta 1-3, Alpha 1-3). These can be bound to switch triggers and joystick triggers. The muscle signal is the only one I've gotten a grip on so far, however ^-^;

As for designing, I dunno - but I guess, since it's a holiday and all, I'll devote some time to it. Really long time since I got around to drawing, so I might have lost stuff, but meh, it usually turns out fine in the end.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

QuoteIt's no mind-reader, it's not like I can think "shoot" and it'll do that. However it measures certain parameters like facial muscle movement, eye muscle movement (glance) and 6 different brain wave parameters (Beta 1-3, Alpha 1-3). These can be bound to switch triggers and joystick triggers. The muscle signal is the only one I've gotten a grip on so far, however ^-^;

Hmmm.... guess that's a bit of a downer, but then BCI is still in its infancy.  At least it's a good start, although you can't really trust these companies to improve the technology for the betterment of anything.  ^^'

I did manage to read more about it here:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/OCZ-NIA-BrainComputer-Interface/?page=2

I picture this now as something more like a wii control for the brain -- or really more like a U-Force for the brain.  It will detect basar movements and brain patterns, but it isn't actually able to interpret what it is that you want into action.  So instead of thinking "fire" or flailing your hands, you bat your eyes or master an excited mental state if you want to fire.

It's interesting... VERY interesting.  :)
Now you can be like Guld piloting the YF-21 in Macross Plus (just please don't go into overdrive mode too -- that scene was freakin disgusting).  ;)

In other news, this is the stupid, most inane, most economically-ignorant gimmick ever performed by a software company, and I'm kinda glad it happened to those who are suspected leechers of the Wine Project.  On the other hand, I get free stuff. :3

http://down.codeweavers.com/

NejinOniwa

QuoteIn other news, this is the stupid, most inane, most economically-ignorant gimmick ever performed by a software company, and I'm kinda glad it happened to those who are suspected leechers of the Wine Project. On the other hand, I get free stuff. :3

Why that's just...disgustingly stupid. What the hell, seriously!?

C-Chan

I got the .sh and .dmg files to prove it (not yet the serials, though).  :P

Obviously those people haven't heard of the "Business Cycle", or at least don't realize it's a manufactured aspect of modern capitalism.  The slide in oil now is no less different than a scramble to sit down in a game of Musical Chairs.  ;)

Added after 3 minutes:

In other news:

The usual insanity unleashed.  ;D

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24561082-5013040,00.html

...and a sprinkling of SCO:
http://ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2008/10/shell-games-fun-and-profit

Added after 1 hours 54 minutes:

Ah yes, and the ibex has almost arrived....  ;)

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/64966.html

Just remember the cardinal rules of Ubuntu upgrades:

1) The first wave of usage is never for the faint of heart.  :D

2) Dist-Upgrades have historically been a recipe for disaster, so always install from CD if you care for your preexisting system.  ;)

Kukuku... I've done this so many times, I could almost be considered seasoned.  Nevertheless, I have my work cut out for me.  ^^

*puts on Simon goggles and grabs drill*  O¬O

Bella

QuoteOh don't worry, I have SADDER music for those two (then again, I've always viewed OS/2-tan as being more action-oriented). ^^

IIRC, I remember you saying you thought Rise would be a good theme song for OS/2-tan.

QuoteIt's no mind-reader, it's not like I can think "shoot" and it'll do that. However it measures certain parameters like facial muscle movement, eye muscle movement (glance) and 6 different brain wave parameters (Beta 1-3, Alpha 1-3). These can be bound to switch triggers and joystick triggers. The muscle signal is the only one I've gotten a grip on so far, however ^-^;

A think-and-shoot gun? Now that would be a recipe for disaster XD

QuoteAs for designing, I dunno - but I guess, since it's a holiday and all, I'll devote some time to it. Really long time since I got around to drawing, so I might have lost stuff, but meh, it usually turns out fine in the end.

You can do it, Nejin-san! If you can shoot a gun in a videogame using only your eyebrows, surely you can draw!

Hey, I even give you permission to raid one of the chibi source files lying around in my thread and use the "base" to make an NIA-tan in Inkscape. :3

QuoteIt's interesting... VERY interesting.
Now you can be like Guld piloting the YF-21 in Macross Plus (just please don't go into overdrive mode too -- that scene was freakin disgusting).

Gyeesh O.o

QuoteIn other news, this is the stupid, most inane, most economically-ignorant gimmick ever performed by a software company, and I'm kinda glad it happened to those who are suspected leechers of the Wine Project. On the other hand, I get free stuff. :3

Woot! So downloaded! (Yep, I got there in time yesterday.)

QuoteThe usual insanity unleashed. ;D

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24561082-5013040,00.html

...and a sprinkling of SCO:
http://ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2008/10/shell-games-fun-and-profit

Added after 1 hours 54 minutes:

Ah yes, and the ibex has almost arrived....

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/64966.html

1. M$ doesn't care about old people T___T
2. I must be dumb, cause that comic made no sense TT
3. Yay! I might have to give that pen drive installer a try. Maybe. ^^

Speaking of free stuff, I've been meaning to give OpenOffice a try. I also wonder what kind of FOSS photo editing programs might be available for Windows...I don't mean like the GIMP, either, just enough to do cropping, rotation, touchups, etc....

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteOh, and someone has to help me in drawing her up. While not an OS, this piece of FABULOUS hardware deserves it by far. Read up on it, and be FABULIZED...for I HAS GAMING BCI.
>:3

My first thought after reading this was playing Psi-Ops with this thing.

QuoteAlso, here's something that popped up just a month to late for Ian-san. ^^'

http://lifehacker.com/5069054/battle-of-the-thumb-drive-linux-systems

Dude, I asked you about unetbootin...  gah, I'm sure I'll find someone who'll let me install crap on their computer so I can install Xubuntu to a flash drive.

Quote2. I must be dumb, cause that comic made no sense TT

Hoping C-Chamina-senpai will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it looks to me this comic is either lampooning or simply pointing out SCO's own relationship to the US' current financial crisis.

(Disclaimer: Following statement should not, in any way, be taken as factual... chemicals may have played a role in their inspiration)

To break it down, SCO broke off into separate* entities so it could loan itself money.  Which is, in a word, retarded, and is why, from what I understand, we have this crisis.  So now, like the other companies, it wants money from the feds.  De-regulation until it is no longer convenient.

*not really

The Choice of a New Generation.

C-Chan

QuoteIIRC, I remember you saying you thought Rise would be a good theme song for OS/2-tan.

YDRC.  ^>^

QuoteYou can do it, Nejin-san! If you can shoot a gun in a videogame using only your eyebrows, surely you can draw!

Hey, I even give you permission to raid one of the chibi source files lying around in my thread and use the "base" to make an NIA-tan in Inkscape. :3

Besides, if you really think about it, Nejin-san has it easy.  There IS already a perfect anime reference for a NIA-tan, approriate in every single way right down to the name:

Incidentally, I sacrifed a little programming time to hold a last minute marathon-run of the last 5 episodes of Gurren Laggan.  Verdict: IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @V@

Note to self:  "Watch ANY Anime series that Bella-hime recommends, unconditionally."  ^.^

The story was captivating, the characters likable (YOKO-SAMA! ;^v^;), the villains had great closure (go Viral!), and despite some really weird #&$@ going on in the final battle(s), the series actually had a proper ending (and an invigorating one at that)!

On the other hand, the series does continue to teach impressionable minds that if the going gets tough, just yell very loudly.  ^___^

Got a term paper due in an hour and you haven't even started?

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  >V<

Voila!  It's written.

Got money problems and debts piled up the wazoo?

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  >V<

Voila!  You won the lottery.

QuoteSpeaking of free stuff, I've been meaning to give OpenOffice a try.

I'm surprised you haven't yet -- it is a flagship FOSS product.  ^^
Version 3.0 is fantastic, btw.  Just be warned that it's only 80% similar to MS Office -- some things you MIGHT be familiar with are either not (or will never be) implemented or they work differently (like hitting the Backspace button in OOo is more like hitting Delete in MS Office than the actual "Delete" key).

On the other hand, like Firefox, OOo also has a ton of extensions you can add to it.

QuoteI also wonder what kind of FOSS photo editing programs might be available for Windows...I don't mean like the GIMP, either, just enough to do cropping, rotation, touchups, etc....

Slim pickings, but otherwise BEHOLD:

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/#graphics

Although if you just want simple touchups, Irfanview should be fine.  Not FOSS, but not bad either.  ^^

QuoteDude, I asked you about unetbootin... gah, I'm sure I'll find someone who'll let me install crap on their computer so I can install Xubuntu to a flash drive.

You sure?  I would've remembered a question about Unetbootin since I talked with the developer back when I was in the EeePCLOS team.  

Besides, you asked me for a stock distro that comes with Python development tools and something else.  Otherwise, ANY distro that you can convert into a LiveUSB could fit the bill easily.  Adding Xubuntu to a LiveUSB with persistence, and then adding Python, IDLE, QT4, and other essential apps would've fit the bill nicely, albeit with a little more work and patience.

I also recall the short notice, so I wonder if that would've been possible given the time constraints.  ;)

Given the experience of being without your own computer for A LOOOOOONG time,... I wonder if it might be worth your while later down the road to invest in a netbook?

What with so many 9" models flooding the market, the old 7" 2Gs and 4Gs can probably be had for very cheap prices on ebay.

QuoteTo break it down, SCO broke off into separate* entities so it could loan itself money. Which is, in a word, retarded, and is why, from what I understand, we have this crisis. So now, like the other companies, it wants money from the feds. De-regulation until it is no longer convenient.

It's satire, of course, but that's how you can explain the comic in a nutshell.  ^^
Still hard to believe that such legal loop holes could exist, but then again the modern economy as we know it is based on what can best be described as fraud, extortion and criminal practices (in a civilized world, anyway). As Ian pointed out, the companies that got the bailout money did far more retarded things and got rewarded for being stupid (or fraudulent, depending on how you look at it).

NejinOniwa

QuoteBesides, if you really think about it, Nejin-san has it easy. There IS already a perfect anime reference for a NIA-tan, approriate in every single way right down to the name:
I must've had that somewhere in my subconscious when I drew her; the bodysuit is there, and, although it's not on the bodysuit, she's got black pattern lines over her skin, in the shape of the diamond-dot sensors of the NIA headband. However, I've tried a bit more of a Kushieda Minori (@Toradora) look and feel - A dangerously hyperactive girl, who MUST NEVER BE RESTLESS, or ELSE. Finally she's ridiculously tall - for a girl, at least, since she's roughly at my height (184-ish) - and her right arm is equipped with a heavy robotics piece giving it an almost bear-like appearance.

That's all I've been able to do so far, and I'll get the sketch up once I've edited it a bit and scanned it - but I dunno if I'll be able to be productive in any way for a while. Only time will tell if death makes one rage or mourn, and I've got a creeping-up-my-back feeling about this entire affair.

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteYou sure? I would've remembered a question about Unetbootin since I talked with the developer back when I was in the EeePCLOS team.

Besides, you asked me for a stock distro that comes with Python development tools and something else. Otherwise, ANY distro that you can convert into a LiveUSB could fit the bill easily. Adding Xubuntu to a LiveUSB with persistence, and then adding Python, IDLE, QT4, and other essential apps would've fit the bill nicely, albeit with a little more work and patience.

I also recall the short notice, so I wonder if that would've been possible given the time constraints.

Given the experience of being without your own computer for A LOOOOOONG time,... I wonder if it might be worth your while later down the road to invest in a netbook?

What with so many 9" models flooding the market, the old 7" 2Gs and 4Gs can probably be had for very cheap prices on ebay.

Well, I did mention it in passing a few pages back, but given that I really had very little idea on how it worked I was hoping you might provide some insight.  I was really wondering if it was best to go with an OS designed to work on a flash drive or just use Unetbootin to create a portable version of an OS I was comfortable with.  Anyway, it's not that big a deal, I've gone some time without using my home OS before, there were those few months we didn't have high-speed at the house and I only ever used my computer to play videos.  I'll survive, perhaps certain aspects of my knowledge regarding Python won't, but for now, those are acceptable losses.  Besides, like I said before, I actually have a bit of cash flow where I am now, and chances are it won't be long before I pick up my own Python handbook to read up on. ^__^

Of course, since you mentioned netbooks, it got me to thinking about that Asus I saw down at Target for $299.  I'm only planning on staying a month longer here, so I might try to save up for that while I'm here (that is, if there aren't any more bad-ass concerts like the mc chris show Monday ^__^).

QuoteIt's satire, of course, but that's how you can explain the comic in a nutshell. ^^
Still hard to believe that such legal loop holes could exist, but then again the modern economy as we know it is based on what can best be described as fraud, extortion and criminal practices (in a civilized world, anyway). As Ian pointed out, the companies that got the bailout money did far more retarded things and got rewarded for being stupid (or fraudulent, depending on how you look at it).

Well, I think what happened with this could be put simply as, stupid fraud.  I mean, it's one thing to actually pull off a successful scam, but it's another thing to keep using that same scam over and over and over again.  Even thieves you see getting caught on the smokinggun.com are watching this and saying, "Yeah, that's pretty stupid."  Still, these companies are getting a federal payout so I guess the scam was successful.  Gah, I'm getting political and OT, please forgive me guys.

Seeing all this Gurren Lagann stuff being posted is reminding me that I've been missing it on Mondays (I've been watching it on Sci-Fi).  I'd watch it online, but I hate the quality of streaming stuff.  I'd download it, but my brother seems to be taking up a lot of bandwidth with his torrenting (for some reason, my browsing is being rendered pretty slow by this).

C-Chan

QuoteHowever, I've tried a bit more of a Kushieda Minori (@Toradora) look and feel - A dangerously hyperactive girl, who MUST NEVER BE RESTLESS, or ELSE. Finally she's ridiculously tall - for a girl, at least, since she's roughly at my height (184-ish) - and her right arm is equipped with a heavy robotics piece giving it an almost bear-like appearance.

184cm is "ridiculously tall"?  T_______T

Fufufu....

Hehehehe.....

Hahahahaha.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA....!

MWAAAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

You're too cute.  ^.^
I'm gonna have to call you "Nejin-chan" for the next 48 hours.  ^___^

Here, pick a lolipop:

QuoteThat's all I've been able to do so far, and I'll get the sketch up once I've edited it a bit and scanned it - but I dunno if I'll be able to be productive in any way for a while. Only time will tell if death makes one rage or mourn, and I've got a creeping-up-my-back feeling about this entire affair.

Uh?  ''

QuoteWell, I did mention it in passing a few pages back, but given that I really had very little idea on how it worked I was hoping you might provide some insight. I was really wondering if it was best to go with an OS designed to work on a flash drive or just use Unetbootin to create a portable version of an OS I was comfortable with.

Sorry if I missed it then -- you know it was pretty crazy back then.  OSes designed for Flash drives are better geared towards them of course, but because of the modular design of most popular Linux systems, it's just as viable to use a system you're already familiar with some extra modification to let it boot from an external drive with persistence.

It's even easier now with Intrpid Ibex, since the tool is dedicated specifically for creating persistent Ubuntu LiveUSBs

You have to beg your bro to let you download Ibex -- it does seem worth the look, even if the changes are hardly dramatic in appearance.

QuoteAnyway, it's not that big a deal, I've gone some time without using my home OS before, there were those few months we didn't have high-speed at the house and I only ever used my computer to play videos. I'll survive, perhaps certain aspects of my knowledge regarding Python won't, but for now, those are acceptable losses. Besides, like I said before, I actually have a bit of cash flow where I am now, and chances are it won't be long before I pick up my own Python handbook to read up on. ^__^

In fairness, sometimes it's nice to be away from the computer for a while.  Or so says the person who eats, drinks and sleeps with a netbook.  ^.^'

It's fairly convenient to install the full Python and PyQt4 suite in Windows, but I'm sure you have your reasons why that hasn't come about.  ^___^;

QuoteOf course, since you mentioned netbooks, it got me to thinking about that Asus I saw down at Target for $299. I'm only planning on staying a month longer here, so I might try to save up for that while I'm here (that is, if there aren't any more bad-ass concerts like the mc chris show Monday ^__^).

The price sounds good if it's one of the newer Asus EeePC models.  Otherwise, even though I love my 4G, I think that would be insanely expensive for one nowadays, especially since the Acer Aspire One is only $30 USD more for a far better computer in my opinion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115496

And an extra $20 USD on top of that will get you the full 1GB of RAM + a 16GB SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115508

QuoteStill, these companies are getting a federal payout so I guess the scam was successful. Gah, I'm getting political and OT, please forgive me guys.

Don't worry, I know perfectly what you mean.  -v-
If it's any consolation, the money stolen from US taxpayers never really existed in the first place.  COnsider it a sick irony that people who spend their entire lives accumulating pieces of paper and digits on a computer somewhere don't realize they're living, working, eating, indebting, enslaving or being enslaved... for... FREE.  @v@;

QuoteI'd watch it online, but I hate the quality of streaming stuff. I'd download it, but my brother seems to be taking up a lot of bandwidth with his torrenting (for some reason, my browsing is being rendered pretty slow by this).

There's probably no limits on his torrent client, so if it's seeding or leeching at the connection's peak upload/download rate, it's leaving very little bandwith left for other network tasks (such as loading text on a browser).

NejinOniwa

Quote184cm is "ridiculously tall"? T_______T
Hells, yes! Or at least when one thinks with logic, and not with...something else. >_>

QuoteYou're too cute. ^.^
I'm gonna have to call you "Nejin-chan" for the next 48 hours. ^___^
Shoot. Have to watch my hair...RIBBONS WON'T BE TOLERATED, HEAR!?

QuoteUh? "
Gah. No, nothing, it's past now. I can handle a few people I know kicking the bucket, I'm a cold-hearted bastard to the core. Just takes an hour or two to kick in. Don't worry 'bout me. ^^

C-Chan

Oh... well... I guess that's good you're tough, but still very sorry to hear that.  -.-

As compensation, I'm promoting you back to "Nejin-san" (darn! was looking forward to the ribbons... -v-).

IanDanKilmaster

QuoteIt's fairly convenient to install the full Python and PyQt4 suite in Windows, but I'm sure you have your reasons why that hasn't come about. ^___^;

For me, it's more or less assumption he'd (my brother) prefer not to have a program installed on his computer he'd probably never use.  I found a Portable App called Notepad++ that allows for coding in a number of programming languages (obviously including Python), but I'm not sure if it can test for errors (I'm pretty sure it won't work like IDLE).

QuoteThe price sounds good if it's one of the newer Asus EeePC models. Otherwise, even though I love my 4G, I think that would be insanely expensive for one nowadays, especially since the Acer Aspire One is only $30 USD more for a far better computer in my opinion:

Yeah, the one I saw was an EeePC, I didn't really check it out in all that detail, but I saw that it was small.  I'll have to check those others out, too.

QuoteDon't worry, I know perfectly what you mean. -v-
If it's any consolation, the money stolen from US taxpayers never really existed in the first place. COnsider it a sick irony that people who spend their entire lives accumulating pieces of paper and digits on a computer somewhere don't realize they're living, working, eating, indebting, enslaving or being enslaved... for... FREE. @v@;

$700B sounds like a number somebody just pulled out of their ass (or a certain Mike Myers movie).  I'm more concerned about the inevitable rise in taxes and subsequent economic crash.  If the AIG bs is any indication, nothing has really been learned in this fiasco, and the practices that led to the current situation are merely going to continue.  I try not to let this affect me, and more or less just enjoy myself - so I get what you're saying.

Bella

*pops in*

So, like, I downloaded OpenOffice, and tried to open a file I had been working on in M$ Works Word Processor in OpenOffice. Oh what's this? OOo doesn't support .wps files? WTF!?

I checked out the OOo forums and it seems it doesn't support .wps files at all. So...yeah...I guess I have to learn the ancient art of Copypasta or something...

*pops out*