What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "The Truth"quit rubbing it in.

THIS. ಪ__ಫ

Though being a queen hypocrite I SHALL brag relentlessly as soon as I make an awesome acquisition, which, at this point and per rules of the Game of Awesome Computer Finds, is going to have to be a minicomputer/mainframe remnant or better.

NejinOniwa

Am I the only one at this table who's actually trying to get NEWER stuff in his rigs? -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Krizonar

My iBook has some upgraded/newer stuff in it,
I had heard it was extremely hard to do it due to how well armored and layered it is, so I saw it as a challenge.

Chocofreak13

when it comes to newer stuff, i'm content, since i has not teh monies for teh newer computies.

the thing with old stuff, it's usually dirt cheap or FREE, which is my favourite number other than 13. every single one of my computers to date has been free, though speedy needed repairs (my fault, mostly) totaling about $175 (for what would have been a VERY expensive laptop).

it's hard to get out of the rut of FREE.....
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Yeah, I'm not really one for screwing with my operating computers too much.  Since that isn't my area of expertise.  Though I'm getting damn good at diagnosing 8in floppy drive issues.

I agree with Kari, the cheaper (or freer) a computer is the more interested I am.  Hell, this whole fascination with Operating Systems and old computers traces back to a $5 3.1 box.

Red-Machine

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Am I the only one at this table who's actually trying to get NEWER stuff in his rigs? -w-;

Well, I AM building an nVidia GeForce GTX 580 rig.  But then again, I also just bought nVidia's very first graphics card from 1995...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "stew"a 5$ 3.1 box

.........lucky.

most of my free requisitions are also about os-llecting; for some reason i have this odd urge to get every microsoft OS from 3.1 on (except vista) and OS9. so far, i have xp (disk and box), 2000 (D&B), ME (D), 98 (disc somewhere, laptop), 7 (D&L), and 95 (B). i remember my semi-unreliable friend/brother offering to donate a mac box for torrenting, perhaps i can get him to install OS9 on it. ^^
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I used OS8 for the longest of all the OS's I've used, probably followed by XP, then 95.

I have a 98SE disk, 95 disk, and used to have a 2K disk but it disappeared somewhere.

Bella

Le OS and EMULATOR ZOO - captive specimen:

Installed on real computers:
Mac OSX 10.6, OSX 10.3, OSX 10.2, System 9.2
Windows 98, 98se
OpenSuSE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu*, Windows XP Home*
*On a HD that I don't use in K8 anymore - since K8's dead and all
Installed and virtualized:
Windows 3.11, Windows XP Pro
Virtualized:
-Mini VMac:
Mac System 7.0.1
-VirtualBox:
MSDOS 6.22
Windows 1.0, Windows 2.0, Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Windows 2k
OpenSolaris
OS/2 Warp 4.5
-MS VPC:
OS/2 1.3, OS/2 Warp 4
-VMWare Player:
NeXTSTEP
UnixWare
BeOS
Historic hardware/OS emulators:
-SIMH:
Xenix
Unix System 5, 6 and 7 on PDP-11
OS/8 on PDP-8
-Others:
DTSS on GE 645
CTSS on IBM 7094
SOS on Apple ///
And of course a FRUCTON of Linuxes -- I don't use any at the moment, but the ISO collection includes:
Vixta
DSL
Parted Magic
VectorLinux
Dreamlinux
Debian
Zenwalk
PCLOS
SAM

Of course, of this list I only use about five on a regular basis... = =

Red-Machine

This again demondstrates how awesome you are.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

I'd list the virtual mainframe farm, but considering that only three or four have actually succeeded in working I won't bother.  The UNIVAC works though; I can predict the 1952 election!

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "stewartsage"I'd list the virtual mainframe farm, but considering that only three or four have actually succeeded in working I won't bother.  The UNIVAC works though; I can predict the 1952 election!

Someone actually wrote an emulator for a vacuum tube-based computer?

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "stewartsage"I'd list the virtual mainframe farm, but considering that only three or four have actually succeeded in working I won't bother.  The UNIVAC works though; I can predict the 1952 election!

Wicked friggin pissah.  ;010

If you want to install CTSS (and be a one of a few people who've chosen to install CTSS) I can give you the instructions... * *