What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

@Duko: Welcome to the wonderful world of penguins -w-
(TBH, I almost moved 2k-tan to Linux Mint when I replaced her main drive, but ultimately went back to Windows 7; since so many of my games on Steam aren't Linux compatible yet)

winduko

I used Linux Mint. My brother's computer isn't working, so I used a live USB to help repair it.

We couldn't repair due to a lack of installation media. My mom will attempt to get some, but she might not be able to do so, so we might have to downgrade.

Now he wants me to use another USB drive (I need my actual drive for other things) to run Linux Mint so that he can do whatever he can.

Honestly, I kinda like it.

Nichi

Mint is good, yes. With the MATE interface, it's my preferred distro -w-

winduko

I used it because I hear it's the easiest of the distros.

I have also wanted to test Linux for a while too, so I figured that the situation would be a good way to indulge in such desires. :)

Chocofreak13

mint is what i'm using now, lol! it's the only way i can keep Loly alive. ^^;;
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

One of the few things that seriously annoys me with Linux is that Pidgin for Linux doesn't let you close your friends list ever without closing the whole program.

Nichi

I have the same issue with Steam for Linux; the main window is always open when the program itself is running :\

Chocofreak13

sounds like resource hogs. wonder if there's a fix for that.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on November 04, 2014, 12:59:11 PM
A Xeon is basically an i7 with some extra options and stability. The Xeon within that Mac Pro is from the 36xx family.
"Gulftown or Westmere-EP, a six-core 32 nm Westmere-based processor, is the basis for the Xeon 36xx and 56xx series and the Core i7-980X."

As I stated higher, that Xeon CPU has more overall power than that of a brand new top of the line i7 iMac.

i5s don't even have hyper-threading, so it does seem like they were just biased.

Thanks for the info, man. Still thinking everything through, if I need more information I'll know who to ask.

Chocofreak13

so i gave Claire a dead guy's computer and appearantly it was enough to complete her gaming rig?

also, i have a printer and a scanner and a wacom now. in case i forgot to tell you.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

winduko

And so, my parents caved in and bought my brother a new computer because it was hard to come across installation media for Windows 8. It came with Windows 8.1 installation media, as it has Windows 8.1. He was the only one who had yet to upgrade, and my parents didn't want to, but they upgraded... somehow.

As for his old computer, I'm going to make a claim on it (name pending, but I'm naming it) just as I claimed the old Windows XP computer (named Homeko by me). And by claim I mean my parents will give it to me for me to do whatever I want.

Sometimes it's good to be the household computer expert.

Nichi

LeaflameSD

>tfw still using Windows XP
>try to install ____ linux distro
>computer doesn't detect bootable CD

Chocofreak13

check your BIOS and make sure that the CD is set first. also check that your computer can use the disk you're trying to use (i'd be surprised if it didn't, given that you likely burned it from that computer).

@kodomo: kickass, man. -w-

@pent: i was helping my friend Finch (more Mel's friend than mine, but we're friends on facebook) and Mel clean out Finch's dad's house, since his dad died and left a house full of hoarding clutter. i was supposed to get a space heater as payment, but it was an old, busted out 70's honeywell (huge and oxidized), so i got a rose quartz lamp, some dishes and silverware, and a toaster as payment. the computer was already claimed, but the claimer never came for it, so i got that too. it contained an old, shitty XP desktop, a crappy ergonomic compaq keyboard, an old mouse, a trio of impressive-yet-odd-looking speakers, a printer, and a scanner. i took the printer/scanner, and gave the rest to claire. seems the rig was shit but the speakers were 6.1 dolby surround complete with subwoofer (the third speaker). ergo, claire now has 1080p and massive sound.

if i get the cleaning done tonight i'll have Tereby set up, so i'll be using XP today. ^^
click to make it bigger