What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Chocofreak13

we have bad news, and we have good news. :3

loly has died. thankfully, she rose like a pheonix from the ashes and i am currently typing on her as we speak. but she pulled a chii and is now running with half the hard drive space and none of the stuff. we tried the freezer trick to no avail. we're going to try the next step of buying a different hard drive and transplanting the HDD controller.

speedy's alive!! i don't know how or why but she's alive! i didn't do anything, just turned her on, reset the cmos and she's fucking alive!!! ;v;
click to make it bigger

Bella

What the heck happened there? I've never heard of a computer just coming back after a mobo malfunction ... is there anything else that could've caused its issues?

Chocofreak13

no idea. the last thing i remember before Speedy's Revival is her not even making it to BIOS. so i haven't a clue. :000
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, didn't Speedy stop working in '11? Maybe it was me and Asagi coming to visit back in summer '12 that had an effect

Chocofreak13

yeah, that sounds about right. idk what triggered it but Speedy's back and i now have 2 laptops. -w-

currently teamed up with Claire to build a new desktop. it will have 950gb of space, 2 gb of ram and a pentium 4. it will also be able to function as a cable box when it's fully set up. gaming, tv, anime, all in one. and her name will be Zomby.

Zomby
HP Media Centre PC (originally made for XPMCE)
Pentium 4 Processor
2GB of DDR-2
Seperate Video Card (idk much about it)
950GB (roughly)
2 DVD-RW Drives
1 3.5" floppy drive
several USB ports
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Nice, even if I really don't like Pentium 4s ^^

Chocofreak13

it's what it comes with, and it's the base model. why don't you like them?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It's mostly for historic reasons; the Pentium 4 and the rest of the Intel NetBurst family of processors were near-universally hated for running way too damn hot for its own good and was very lacking in performance compared to theoretically weaker AMD Athlon processors of the era, due to the NetBurst architecture's emphasis on clock speed over everything else. There's a reason they scrapped it after a few years of trying to get it to work, ultimately going back to the P6 architecture, which the far superior Pentium III used, and expanding upon it; which lead to the Core family of processors.

Also, as far as personal experience goes, I had problems with my Pentium 4 desktop (TARDIS; 2k-tan's short-lived predecessor) quite regularly, while the Pentium III desktop (Frankenstein V3) has never let me down.

Chocofreak13

i'll keep that in mind, especially since i was thinking of upgrading the processor at some point. right now though, that's what everything we have comes equipped with (well, idk about the dell, i'll have to ask claire, but as far as i know everything is) and the only other processors i have available are all pentium IIs.

i'll also have to equip extra fans. =w=;;
click to make it bigger

Q4(V)

moving to win7 >_> wanted win8 ;_;

Nichi

I'd say that's a good thing. I can't stand Windows 8

Krizonar

Would it be strange that I find Windows 8 not only tolerable, but semi-likeable?

Bella

I like Windows 8 on tablets - to the point where I'd probably prefer a Windows 8 device to one running iOS or Android - but I'm not a fan of Windows 8 on laptops and desktops.

Chocofreak13

*burns effigy of Windows 8 box*

so i'm considering dual booting Mangaka Linux on my laptop.
click to make it bigger