What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

guys, i need an ample serving of help here. the past few days, SVCHost has been such a resource hog that it's slowing my computer to a stop. i've tried ending the offending process, disabling the services associated with the bad instances of SVCHost (as many as i can, anyway), and booting into safe mode. safe mode helped a little, but it's not a permanent fix. Loly's crashed 2 or 3 times in the past 3 days. i'm at a bit of a loss for what to do.
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

it didn't, but thanks for trying. :\
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

I just love it how when ever I go a week with hibernating my computer, it starts having rampency problems.
Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

Well dude, you gotta shut it down once in awhile. And don't knock it if that's your only issue.

I'm beginning to think this is all the work of a virus. Safe mode is no longer safe.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

ty. some guys i met at the club last night have advised me that it's likely a memory leak though, so i'ma have to figure out how to run linux from a liveCD. if the memory problems persist in the live CD, then it's a hardware issue and i have to replace the RAM, the motherboard, or both. if it doesn't (which, the problems don't really persist in safe mode, so i'm leaning towards this), then i just need to get all my stuff off there and do a fresh install.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I can mail you a Linux CD, if you'd like :3

Chocofreak13

i'd be easier to make my own, since i have disks at home. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

I was running Xue on battery power without her cooling pad (well, she was *on* the pad but it wasn't running) and she shut off TWICE IN A ROW. (I had the presence of mind to start running Speedfan to monitor her CPU temps after she shut off the first time; before she quit the second time, her cores hit ~140F). Cue stomping about the house and moaning about how I was getting rid of her because overheating issues are basically Computer Cancer (i.e. a widespread systemic issue that's near-impossible to fix and probably isn't going to have a good resolution) and how a computer that doesn't run right some of the time is as bad as a computer that doesn't run at all, and how much I hate laptops because they basically easily-broken money-pits, etc, etc.

Then I decided to try running her again on AC power with the cooling pad running and she ran normally. Even when she hit temperatures comparable to the ones that (apparently?) shut her off initially. (~140F.)

So now I'm wondering if the overheating issues aren't tied to being run on battery power, since come to think of it every time she's shut off she's been running on battery. Also, does anyone know what normal operating temperatures are for laptops? I may have to recruit a few of yous to run CPU temp monitors for awhile and report back because I'm super-curious but have absolutely no frame of reference. :[

Pitkin

140 fahrenheit CPU temperatures shouldn't provoke a shutdown - unless there's an explicit BIOS/other setting telling the computer to passively cool down by shutting down when running on battery - as, if I'm not mistaken in my celsius conversion, they're nothing exceptional.

Nichi

Maybe it's something wrong with your battery? Like, maybe it's shutting down on battery because it's not holding much of a charge?

NejinOniwa

ninja edit
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

NejinOniwa

SO MUCH FUCKING HACKING GOING ON HERE
I CAN'T SEE SHIT
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

go home nej, you're drunk.

@bells: 140F is technically cooler than some things we humans expose ourselves to. as in, super-hot baths/saunas/hot coals/etc are MUCH hotter than that, so that shouldn't really be enough to down a moose (i mean computer). if you want my participation in this experiment, i'll take part, but only after Loly has been reinstalled, as that might affect results. bear in mind that i use no cooling pad, have her constantly plugged in, and sit her on top of a metal coloured pencil box when i use her.
click to make it bigger