What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

I won't regret the money I'll get from selling it. At all.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

You just don't want to go Mac 'cause you'll never be able to go back! /countertrolls

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Pitkin

Fedora-Tan tends to say that if it's to save money on RAM, better to keep to Kingston, Corsair or something decent like that and take less than to take more and to go for a worse brand. Having ridiculous amounts of RAM doesn't change much in everyday use, but so-so quality memory can just end up in trash sooner. Typically, the laptop I'm writing this on has 6Gb and has never used more than 3 even when playing games with really bad dialogues and UI like Skyrim.

Not knowing anything about RAM myself, I can only chime in to what he says by adding that even my own petite laptop of 3Gb of RAM has never bumped into problems because of RAM amount. It only seems relevant if all the rest of the computer is already very high-end.

Paul

RAM-wise I've always used Crucial and never had any problems with them. From what I've gathered they seem to have quite a good reputation.
The only memory I've ever had issues with was an old Hynix that just stopped working after 3 years...

NejinOniwa

Corsair's all I ever used, and it hasn't failed on me yet.
Besides, it's cheapcost-effective. ^^

Chocofreak13

alright, corsair sounds like the way to go, tbh. but is it sold on newegg?

@pit: i'd rather have more as a just-in-case type of thing, since i'm constantly getting "virtual memory low" warnings on TK, and i'm likely going to be using GIMP for school. plus, you never know how much memory VLC is going to use up or how many tabs i'll have open in a browser. (my record is 86!!) >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: Yep; it's on Newegg :3
Corsair is actually one of the most popular brands they stock

Chocofreak13

when it comes to items, popularity's usually a good thing. we should go with that. :0
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Chocofreak13

good, good, we're going with corsair. -w-
click to make it bigger

Bella

I have a few questions for all my PC laptop-using peeps out there - is it normal for a laptop to run loud? The fans on Xue run near-constantly and make an audible, uh, fan-noise. And I can hear it change speed at times. I'm wondering if this is typical, since K8, the last laptop I used regularly (2004-2009), had fans that would turn on and off. (It may be worth noting that K8 died several terrible overheating deaths though).

Also, is it normal for the heat to be concentrated at one point? The area around the fan/heatsink gets pretty hot, but the rest of the underbody is just kind of warm. K8, on the other hand, used to get wicked hot - the entire underbody. (Again, in hindsight this seems like a bad/abnormal sign.)

One last question - any recommendation for CPU/mobo temp monitor programs?

Nichi

It depends. Most of my laptops are fairly quiet most of the time (Often with a slight fan noise), but then again, this is compared to the Yeti. Compared to Fuuka, on the other hand, an audible fan noise is normal. As for it changing speeds, that's a common feature on laptops; it runs the fans on a low speed when it doesn't need as much cooling (Such as doing some word processing or playing Solitaire), while they'll spin faster when there's more processor activity (Such as watching a movie or playing Fallout 3)

With the heat issue, that's normal. the heat is mostly concentrated in one spot because that's where it's originating from (Generally, where the processor is located in the case)

As for the last question, I'm not 100% sure. I used to have something to monitor the temps inside 2k, but I forgot what it was called.

NejinOniwa

SpeedFan is the best app in the world for that. Free and shit. Get it NAO.

Chocofreak13

tanky never made noise.
speedy made minimal amounts,
and TK is fukkin' loud by comparison, but only when his processor is up (the fans go high to low depending on processor activity).
tbh, though, the cooling pad for speedy and now TK kinda drowns it out cause it's cheap and old and junky and loud. >>;;

well, heat normally radiates from the source, right? the only reason you don't feel it on a mac is due to the metal housing, which distributes it away. i may not like macs, but they have a damn good cooling system there. >>;

if you're using windows 7 or vista, they make sidebar applications that you can use to measure internal temp. if not, there's likely a rainmeter skin that can do the same thing. just google it. :\
click to make it bigger