What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Pretty sure I'll be a GNOME user until the day I die, or a better-looking/feeling Linux desktop environment is created ... whichever comes first.

Paul

Hmm.. Gnome *was* pretty fine... until they decided to break every good concept down with 3. It's installed for testing on Cynthia, but I don't really have the time to mess around with it right now. IMO Gnome 2 was the way to go...

Up to version 4 I didn't like KDE at all, but now it looks better than the latest GNOME for me. Bloated, it still is.

XFCE was something that just didn't sit right with me... idk why :D

No matter which desktop environment  I try, I always find myself going back to dwm. Really, really basic and takes some time to get used to... but once you know all the keystrokes it's blazing fast. (especially with dmenu). Basically you have to do everything with keystrokes (Alt-Shift-Return to open a new shell window, Alt-P to open dmenu (without dmenu, dwm can only open a console), Alt-Shift-C to close a window...). And if you'd like to alter the appearance or customize it, there's a cute little C file you have to edit, then rebuild :3)
But once you've figured it out, you literally don't have to take your fingers off the keyboard anymore ^^

Here's what it looks like:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/201204291729281366x768s.png/ the bar at the top and the orange border belong to dwm)
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/629/201204291737111366x768s.png a few windows open :D

Nichi

It makes me think of Text-based GUIs in MS-DOS :3

So, I now have Neptune running on Laptop, alongside Windows 2000. Expect me to dive further into it sometime and share some pics; which, unlike the NT 5 pics, will be more colorful ^_^

Red-Machine

Nemtune would be great if people could get it working.

Windows 2000 drivers make it crash, updating the DirectX makes it unstable and there are no updates for it, nor any compatible antivirus.  So using it as a net machine is a big no-no.

There was a project to port 2k SP4 to it, but Microsoft shut it down. :\
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

So, not much different than me getting online with NT 5.0 build 1877 as an experiment. I'll keep that in mind

Anyway, returning to my experiments with beta versions of Windows 2000, here's what I've found out about the next build in line:

Build 2000:
- Oddly enough, build 2000 of Windows 2000 is not the final version; unlike how Windows 95's final version number ended in ".950", and 98FE's ended in ".1998"
- First version to feature the boot screen used on the RTM version. It still using some of the menu graphics from the previous build during setup
- Login screen looks like it does in the final version, with the exception of "Beta 3" being written under the Microsoft logo
- Crashes shortly after login; unable to bring up the Task Manager. You can only boot it in Safe Mode for some reason
- That program from the previous version, which appeared to allow you to make your own fonts, was sadly removed in this version

Chocofreak13

wonder if that font program is available for download. :\

that said, i always liked hearing about your experiments, so i look forward to anything else. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If you want, I can retrieve that program from the disc and send it your way :3

Anyway, I decided to explore Neptune for a change

Neptune (Build 5111):

• It will not install at all on Virtualbox; always crashing when it tries to detect hardware during setup. Thus, I tinkered with it on both Prinny and Laptop; the former being designed for Windows XP, the latter designed for Windows 98
  • It boots up very fast. Even on Laptop, Neptune reaches the desktop faster than Windows 2000
  • Start-up sound is exactly the same as Windows ME and 2000
  • User accounts are handled in the same way as Windows XP; with avatars for each user and a friendly "Welcome" boot screen
  • I was able to successfully install and run the original Fallout, as well as play Hover; showing that Neptune can handle some games. If the game can run with DirectX 7.0 at minimum, there's a strong chance it'll run on Neptune, with the occasional exception to the rule
  • It does not like USB flash drives; plug one in (In this case, a 512MB one), and while it will work, you'll receive constant error messages out of it until you unplug it. Also, it won't allow you to run any programs from it; you have to copy everything to the hard drive
  • I'm not 100% sure if Prinny's network adapter is shot or not, but it doesn't like the internet. While I was able to successfully install Firefox 2.0, I wasn't able to get online when I plugged in my ethernet cable
  • Due to a weird decision on Microsoft's part to label the OS kernel as "NT 5.5", you can upgrade from XP SP3 to Neptune. However, you cannot upgrade to Vista; as it complains about "Windows 2000" not having Service Pack 4 installed
  • You cannot shut down Neptune; selecting "Power Off" from the Start menu results in it hybernating instead; which makes dual-booting a headache

I'll have a gallery of pics up sometime later Here's the gallery of pics. Soon, I'll take a look over the beta of Windows 1.0; once I either find a serial port mouse for Minefield or setup Frankie V3 for Virtual PC 2004 again ^_^;;

Chocofreak13

despite the anti-shutdown rule, i think i might want to install neptune on something. i have a good selection of older programs, meaning i could use it, though i'd need to find a way to get it online.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Not worth it, Kari.  The Neptune disc likely wouldn't have drivers for the network card, and like I said, Win2k drivers make it crash.  Then there's the whole "no compatible antivirus" thing, so putting it on the net would be like going out without pants on.

Chocofreak13

not to instigate a fight, but why are you such a damn pessimist? yes, i know there are virtually no drivers for it. yes, i know there's no antivirus for the experimental OS. it was just passing fancy, for fuck's sake. and even if i did get the chance to install it, i would never make it my main OS, that'd just be stupid. it'd be a member of the fleet, yes, but not my everyday computer. if i didn't browse much with it (and stayed on safe sites like OSC and Facebook), it would be fine. >:\
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm pretty sure he's being a realist, not a pessimist.

Chocofreak13

no, a realist would consider both arguements. there IS potential for neptune to work, especially considering the last time i purchased software was last year, and even that was 3 years old. hell, the only art program i paid for is only good up to XP (going as far back as 95), meaning i could likely run that on neptune without a horrible amount of issue.

not that anyone is going to consider my side. though they should really consider the original comment, as i was commenting positively in response to an experiment. whether or not i was serious about the thought should also be called into question, as i said "i THINK i MIGHT want to install neptune on something". as i said, PASSING. FUCKING. FANCY.

i love you guys to death, but methinks computers is something we shouldn't talk about, ironically enough. this isn't the first time people have gotten pissed in this topic.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I don't see anything wrong in what Kari's wanting to do. Nobody called me out on using Chicago 58s, which was nearly unusable, so why call her out on a prototype OS that's actually semi-useful in it's current state?

I say who gives a fuck? It's not like you're going to be forced to use this OS when she is, so why is it of such great concern?

Red-Machine

Hey, I'd have it on my Dell if it worked properly.  But the fact of the matter is it's pretty much unusable, which is a damn shame.

I'm not attacking your or your ideas, Kari.  I'd never do that.  I'm just trying to save you some frustration. :\

Nichi

Well, I wouldn't say completely unusable. If you're doing stuff offline, you'd be fine

To me, unusable means "Chicago 58s"; as in, it can barely hold it's head up running software designed for Windows 3.1