What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

still sounds shiny!

so the computer store we went to said they likely can't help us, as they don't do motherboard replacement. we took her to best buy, who said that they can do the replacement, but i need to buy the motherboard and bring it to them first. they also informed me that speedy's model was recalled for a short time due to it bursting into flames---and that HP discontinued support for it in spring 10'. so i'm on my own finding the motherboard, any help in doing so is appriciated 1000 times over. ;^;

oh, and i bought a mac today.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: What was the model number for Speedy? Perhaps someone could check eBay for one of the same model that works but has something like a busted screen, and carry over all the working components to Speedy

Also, nice find on the Mac ^_^
If you need OS9 and/or X 10.3, let me know

NejinOniwa

Quotebought a Mac
DETAILS ON THIS, PROVIDE NOW.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

1998 imac (orange)
OS unknown
purple keyboard
microsoft brand mouse
$10 for the lot

@pentium: speedy's model is the HP Pavillion dv6000 Special Edition, though i remember seeing an edition identical to this, only a different colour (it wasn't special edition). used the same motherboard, which i believe is what's wrong, so if anyone wants to help me search (reputable dealers, etc), i'm welcoming help. :[

EDIT: quincey is using Panther, which given its hard drive (6gigs) and its ram (half a gig), i'm thinking of downgrading. i deleted a few programs, and he ran great, till it came time to shut down, in which he seemed to have gotten stuck, and since holding the power button only turns off the screen, i was forced to unplug poor quincey. :[ looks like there's still some stuff to learn.

also, guys, is it possible to make multiple computers share a screen? i don't think i can have 4 different monitors unless they're all 13 inch and flatscreen. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

With Panther, that should be plenty of RAM for it. Sonata runs it with 340MB RAM, and aside from some slowness if I have both Firefox and Skype running, it works fine. But, running OS9 as your main on Quincy would be your best bet (Which, I can gladly provide the disc for)

As for having multiple computers share one monitor, look into a KVM box. This allows you to have multiple computers share not just the same monitor, but also the same keyboard and mouse; allowing you to switch between the computers with the press of a button. I want to get one of these eventually, so Fuuka and 2k-tan can share the same monitor again

svx

I ditched the 'Pod, guys

Yeah, that thing...  That old thing...
Little antique...

Yeah, got myself an Android now
Latest thing, you've probably never heard of it

I call it an HTC Thunderbolt.  Pretty cool, pretty cool
A little old, perhaps.  Came out in 2011 or something

I'M A HIPSTER

Dr. Kraus

Using my gradma's lovely HP Pavilion dv7 with Core i5, AMD Radeon 6450M Graphics, beatsaudio, and Windows 7

Why my grandma has such a large and powerful laptop I have no idea (she already has a old Mac Pro G5 desktop that she can barely figure out how to use...)

She uses this baby for just e-mail and using the net a little bit but nothing too big that this thing is capable of (Music, Movies, Gaming, etc.)

Really wish that this was mine, its got a huge screen, amazing battary life and is capable of handling EVERYTHING I would want to do one a system.

Nichi

Sounds like my sister's father-in-law's laptop. All he does is light stuff a Celeron could handle, yet he has an i3

Bella

I've never known anyone with a better computer than I have, who didn't need that better computer for some specific purpose.

Nichi

Of everybody I know in real life, I'm the one with the most powerful PC...and 9 times out of 10, the only one with a Mac of any kind

Chocofreak13

my sister's computer is newer than speedy. and my friend ashley has some secret high end no name laptop running 7. after that, everyone else has a mac, which is hard to judge against a PC in terms of "better" without starting a pissing contest. :\

that said, thanks for the advice pent. think i'll look into that, in addition to the networking box i'd like to get for the fleet. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, new member of the fleet; which will serve at my grandma's house in place of Minefield's former counterpart at my grandma's house. Here's a rundown of the specs

Compaq Evo [Unknown model number] (Circa '03)
Name: [Currently deciding on a name]
CPU: Pentium 4 (2Ghz)
RAM: 512MB
OS: None, but will have either Fedora 16 w\ XFCE or Xubuntu soon

Of all the free PCs I received over the past few months, this one managed to survive both waves by blending in with the shadows of the storage building, while the others where parted out. This, when I stumbled onto it, I decided to clean it up and test it out; since, aside from it being a little beat up, everything on the inside was intact. So, I installed some RAM, turned it on, and found all it needs is a new OS installed. Thus, once I have it setup and ready, it'll serve at my grandma's house in place of the old 486 I had setup there.

Nichi

So, I ended up hitting a brick wall with the unnamed desktop, mentioned above. I need more RAM to install the latest version of Fedora, so it's been put on hold for now; since I don't want to pour too much money into this project. Likely, I'll either install Ubuntu 8.04 or Windows 2000; leaning more toward the former, as the latter is widely used across the fleet.

Chocofreak13

how much more do you need? i might have some sticks lying around.

great news, guys! after over a year (almost 2!) away from home, shitty's rejoining the fleet! ^^
click to make it bigger

Paul

Just whopped Arch Linux on Cynthia.... 16 seconds boot time is impressive :O
As for general speed... it flies now :D