What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

What brand of computer are you using? And what about your OS(s)?

I myself am on an emachines (AKA Gateway), running XP Home Edition.

(BTW, not sure if this should be moved to the games forum...sorry if I'm wrong...)

Silentbob

Two computers run WinXP, one runs Win2k.     I also run Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) on my main computer.

I built them myself, so they're no particular brand.

Got two Amigas which run AmigaOS3.1.

IanDanKilmaster

Main computer (Gateway) running Ubuntu 6.06 and my backup (Compaq) is running Win2k.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Gummster

I only have my acer laptop (all I need) running Ubuntu edgy 6.10

C-Chan

Woohoo!  Bless you Bella for creating such a thread!  ^v^

Lesse....

Primary:  Acer AMD 64-bit X2 desktop with dual-boot Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 (soon to be Feisty Fawn) and Windows XPMCE.  Also use it to test-bed for stable distros, like Sabayon.

Secondary:  Old HP I rescued from being trashed, w/1.4ghz processor, 512MB RAM (originally 256) and 8GB hard drive (actually an older one I had lying around, after the original HD died).  Used to run SUSELinux, then Xubuntu for a while, now runs eComStation 1.2 and is also a test bed for unstable OSes (such as AROS).

Tertiary:  my old HP ze1210 laptop, still with Windows XP SP1 though occasionally will use Puppy Linux.  Rarely carry it around anymore, so now used as the dining room terminal and guest computer.

Quadirary(sp?):  my old and immortal VPR Matrix, still running Windows XP SP1 for legacy purposes.  Used to be an active guest computer, especially for the kids or any of my friends who like RTSes.  Now pretty much displaced by the Wii as far as gaming is concerned.  Recently updated its graphics card to keep it a little up to speed with the latest games.  -v-

Um.... 5thiary?:  Lenovo laptop from work is extaordinarily fast (and quiet), but must run an ultra-draconian version of Windows XP SP2.  Normally wouldn't list it here, but I use it at home and abroad extensively.

If Apple makes my Tablet Mac, then we'll have six.  -v-

But despite all this.....

QuoteTwo computers run WinXP, one runs Win2k. I also run Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) on my main computer.

I built them myself, so they're no particular brand.

Oh, and my two Amigas run AmigaOS 3.1.

There just is no comparison to a man who builds his own computer AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND....

...has two Miggies.  

We're talking serious demi-god of computing here.  ^___^

Bella

BTW, my emachines is a laptop...although, with it's speed, memory, features...and weight...I consider it a 7-pound desktop XD Also, I have an old win98 Compaq desktop (that isn't running but I plan to fix up), and my family's HP laptop (that I do a lot of work on), running XP.

NejinOniwa

I currently run a Compaq desktop with (pirated) Windows XP SP2 as only OS. That's soon to be changed, though, as I'm giving the thing a serious upgrade (or rebuild, haven't decided yet), an all-inclusive with HDD, motherboard, memory, processor and graphics card; and also since Ubuntu is just about to release Feisty Fawn.

current specs:
Intel Pentium 4 2.53 ghz, 768 mb RAM, total of 160 gb HDD space, 256 mb graphics.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Thurosis

I have two computers in my room

the main computer that i use is a Windows-Xp (hehehe XD)
the second computer have a Windows 2k.

sometimes if I think about it, that i really have my " Anime 3D Live Creator Device"(like in my manga) would be cool !
I could revive Xp-tan from my PC!  XD (and many other characters!)

for example: Suigintou, Suiseiseki, Lelouch, Euphemia (before Lelouch use the geass), C.C, Alucard, Alexander Anderson, Creazy Major, etc etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Everything is learnable!~
It comes only on it, how much strives and time you put into it.
And there arn\'t better or worse for us artist only different!
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

Nidas

My main comp is my mac which is running, fairly obviously, OSX.

My old comp, which I still occasionally fire up for windows related stuff, is a midrange Toshiba laptop with decent processing and memory but a prohibitively small hard drive (for my uses anyway). It runs on XP and works great as a backup comp :D

Tsubashi

Oooh! Nifty Thread!
Let's see...

Primary: Mac Mini
  1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
  2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
  SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  Dual Boot between OS X 10.4.9 and Xubuntu 6.10

Secondary: Power Mac
  533 MHz Dual PPC
  1.5 GB 133 DDR SDRAM
  Sony CD-RW CRX140E
  Multi-boot [OS X Server 10.4.9, Ubuntu Server 6.10, Fedora 6]

Tertiary: Same as Secondary, minus the Dual Processors. These two are my home/testing servers ^__^

Quaternary: Dell Latitude CPi
  300 MHz Intel Pentium II
  128 MB RAM
  Dell 24X CD-ROM module
  Windows 2000 SP 4
  Used for work (Since I can't find an Open-source solution for Lotus Approach T_T)

Quinary: AmbrA SU000081
  33MHz Intel 486
  8 KB RAM
  Teac FD-55gfr 5.25in Floppy Drive
  Compaq 3.5 in Floppy Drive
  Windows 3.1 and a dysfunctional OS/2 2.01 HD
  Mostly just for fun ^-^

And, I guess I can count my new work server, since I will be setting it up at home ^o^
Senary: Mac Pro
  Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  16GB DDR2 SDRAM
  SuperDrive 16x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
  Mac OS X Server 10.4.9 (Obviously ^^)

Septenary: All the other old boxes I have lying around, most of which are too old to run the new OS's ^^'
-Tsu

C-Chan

Oooooooooooooooooooh.......... so close..............  -v-

All that inredible wealth of computing power is remarkable....!
But if only you had at least one Amiga-sama, or comparable Amigoid (MorphOS or AROS), then you would've had a chance at trouncing the heavyweight champion, AmigaBob.  -.-

But keep at it,... you'll get there someday.  You're definitely off to a good start with all those Linuces and Macs and that one old OS/2.  ^___^

Oh, and "Quaternary" and "Quinary', eh?  'v'

*takes down notes*

And then you wonder why I wonder why you self-depracate.  -.-

Tsubashi

Meh, it's not all that much, seeing as I don't even own the flagship Mac, but it suits my purposes (and then some, most of the time)

I think my dad once owned an Amiga, for testing purposes. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to use it, and I think he sold it soon afterwards.
Still, I wish I did have at least one...

Yeah, I wish that OS/2 disk would work, but it really hates my audio card/CD drive combo. "Preview '96" wasn't exactly the most stable version, either ^^'

QuoteOh, and "Quaternary" and "Quinary', eh? 'v'

*takes down notes*

And then you wonder why I wonder why you self-depracate. -.-

Absolutely. When one flagrantly flaunts a trivial point, it may often be  assumed that one is merely compensating for lack of useful knowledge.
-Tsu

95Direct

Let me look here, since I do a bit of Virtualization as a side hobby using VMware Workstation.

Main (Host) Computer: Dell XPS running on Windows XP Professional
Guest OSes: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me (Luckly it did not crash inside VMware Workstation), and Windows 2000

Running via DOSbox: Windows 3.1 (with Calmira II)

On reserved/Not installed: Kubuntu (I'm supprised they dont have a Kubuntu-tan.)

Kami-Tux

Primary:

2 GHz AMD 64, 512 MB RAM, OS: Linux (Gentoo), The HURD, Syllable from live CD

Secondary:

450 MHz AMD K6 II, 256 MB RAM, OS: SuSE Linux, Plan 9 (planned)

Tertiary:

4.77 MHz Intel 8086(???), 1 MB RAM, OS: MS DOS

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Stoy

Desktop:

CPU: Intel Celeron 2,80 ghz
GPU: Geforce 6600 256 mb ram
RAM: 1536 mb
HDD1: 250 gb (2 partitions (1: 20 gb, 2: 230 gb)) IDE
HDD2: 60 gb IDE
HDD3: (planned) at least 100 gb IDE
Screen: ViewSonic 21" LCD

-----------------------------

Laptop: