C-chan Concoctions

Started by C-Chan, April 01, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exa

Quote from: "C-Chan"
But you think 183cm is tall?!  
BAH!! I say!  ^0^
You set your standards far too low my friend.  For yours truly, tall is Ekaterina Gamova.  Everything else between her and 180cm is just "sweet", and below that "short".  -v-
So yeah, Miggy just barely makes the cut, but how I wish I could've been more ambitious (damn you societal pressures!).  ^.^

Hm, I thought too that 183 cm is tall - ok,  for me, a girl who is taller than me (173 cm) is tall for a girl ^^. But I admit that fits good (somehow, I can't explain why) to Amiga-tan :)

NejinOniwa

Exa is a short exa 'w'
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Silentbob

Ooh.  Lovely.  Indeed, very nice, I printed that Amiga-tan out and stuck her on the wall.    ;010

Bella

That is THE cutest picture of Miggy-sama! She's absolutely adorable, not to mention her uniform is great!

It's excellent to see your still doing some OS-tan artwork!

C-Chan

GYAAAAAAAAH!!!  ^v^

Exa, AmigaBob, Bella-san (and Neji-san too, I guess...)....

Thank you, y'all are wonderful!!!  ^.^

I vow I'm gonna finish her this weekend, and start to work on her older siblings ASAP.  ^___^

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"

Shading and touch-ups are pending.  She's wearing her "Commodore-Amiga" cadet's uniform -- although given the cheery optimistism of the young Amiga-chan, the resemblance to a standard seifuku is intentional. The left-handed salute is also intentional.

After she's done, her Commodore sister's well follow suit with more militarized uniforms.

o_o  B...Beautiful...

;015 OH... MY GOSH... There is something un-natural...

;018 EHM... Found it!

It is left handed miltiary salute quite normal in left drive car countries like Great Britain and Japan...???

Or I think you have to mirror the image and re-draw C= Commodore sign...

Military salutes are done with right hand...

Don't worry. It is just a little mistake... I think she is quite perfect!  ;010
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

C-Chan

Thank you Raffaele-san. ^__^

BTW, I knew someone would eventually say something about the salute, so I added the little disclaimer that "The left-handed salute is also intentional. "

In response to your concern, I'm gonna have to say "you'll see".  ^_____^;

Let's just say that the young Amiga-san can't get proper military etiquette quite right.... -v-'

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"Thank you Raffaele-san. ^__^

BTW, I knew someone would eventually say something about the salute, so I added the little disclaimer that "The left-handed salute is also intentional. "

In response to your concern, I'm gonna have to say "you'll see".  ^_____^;

Let's just say that the young Amiga-san can't get proper military etiquette quite right.... -v-'

If it is intentional I have no problems to accept it!

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

NewYinzer

* hypnotized by 1985 Amiga *

Kawaii........

* comes to *

Wow, that was a great pic. I really like the quality and the salute really captures the moment. Back in '85, Commodore was trying to turn itself around and compete with Atari and IBM. Unfortunately, they never advertised aggressively enough, and it did not capture them market share like the Commodore 64 did.

It really takes me back to a period I don't remember at all and never really noticed until I was older - The 1980's. The DeLorean, heavy metal music, the Soviet Union, New Coke, old Sansui Hi-Fi Sets with the nearly extinct "Made In Japan" label, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the release of the Macintosh, the birth of Studio Ghibli, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, the collapse of Pan American Airways, insider trading and corporate raiding, the crash of JAL flight 123, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Back to the Future, the building of new skyscrapers in my hometown, the Space Shuttle, and who could forget Huey Lewis' "The Power of Love"? So many memories...

C-Chan

Fufufu... you forgot "Reaganomics", Laserdiscs and a little something called Nin-ten-do.... ^^

Thank you, btw.
It is a work in progress, though, so expect more Commodore sisters to show up.  -v-

NewYinzer

How could I forget! My Game Boy's gonna hang me!

QuoteIt is a work in progress, though, so expect more Commodore sisters to show up. -v-

Really? Just take your time - your pictures are very good! And...um...

*points in the direction of PET-tan*

C-Chan

Well she is the eldest sister after all, so PETchan is mandatory.

Just bear in mind this is 1985, so she may not be,... exactly,... as you've seen her up until now..... ^^'

*quickly hides saber*

zjhentohlauedy

Great work as always C-chan!!

Rest for a bit, it's hard if your always tired.

If you ever stop drawing os-tans, be ensured, it will be missed!
anyway you have my support in whatever you will do!

*salutes!*
My my, aren't you lovely~

C-Chan

Thank you, zjhentohlauedy.  ^__^
I hear you, it's kinda tough to draw when you're burnt out, but I don't want to give up just yet, not with so many wonderful people cheering me on.  ^v^

But when I do stop drawing OS-tans, please don't forget to support other artists who still do, cause a community is nothing without its people.  -v-

C-Chan

*sigh*

<___<

>___>

<__<

In order to help Bella-san with one of her comic ideas, I decided to............. expedite a certain character I have been meaning to save until my art emulation skills were advanced enough to draw her wonderfully.

But as it so happens, and perhaps coincidentally to mark the one year anniversary of my first sketch of her (and first OS-tan drawing ever), I have chosen to create a 3-hour vector sketch of UNIX-sama in order to lay down the basic foundation of her design.

Bear in mind this was a rush job, devoid of quality or much originality in terms of fashion -- I was even tempted not to post it yet, but Bella-san convinced me otherwise just to bring awareness that UNIX-sama exists in some form.  

Now then........

*hesitates*

Here:  ^___^

Oh alright, here's a bigger version,.......... but just a link.....  -____-;

http://ostan-collections.net/annex/UNIX.png

This is so unceremonious, I'm gonna need 50 lashings after this to cleanse the heresy.  -__________________-;

Regarding personality (aside from what I've already documented elsewhere), here's a repost of what I had sent to Bella-san:

As you know, this is simply a vector sketch of UNIX-sama, so quality is not paramount here....

Any resemblance to Claes from Gunslinger Girl is intentional, as I love that character and thought the two could share some things in common (essentially being chained to the responsibilities demanded of them,... forever,... and just counting the days till they die). But physical similarities and the occasional injoke reference is where the similarities end, since UNIX-sama is far more self-confident and aggressive, and certainly does not disguise the fact that she's OLD. She's also physically older than Claes, although she still remains fairly young-looking for an OS-tan of her age -- this is in reference to the fact that, despite her revolutionary features, she was a relatively barebones and minimalist system at the time.  She was the scorn and butt joke of computer engineers of that era that expected systems like MULTICS to dominate the future. History has shown, however, that the "little OS that could" did in fact dominate the market by pursuing a very aggressive takeover of the mainframe/workstation market, securing a dynasty (despite all trials and tribulations that she endured on her own) that would last till this very day. This is why she's no longer as hard against the Windows-tans as her descendants are, as she can't help but savor the irony of the historical parallel.

UNIX-sama may not be physically powerful, but her sorcery is still a match for all but her strongest descendants, and plus she's smart enough (and apathetic to emotional values such as "courage" and "honor") to strategize in ways that assure the most complete, cost-efficient victory possible (even if that strategy includes losing some battles in the short-term). Furthermore, tradition has long since established her as the universal matriarch of old UNIX-based systems, and while there have been rebellions among her ranks (Plan 9 and Xenix, for example), everyone feels obliged to owe her respect, the source of their life as well as power (in a way, this makes her far more than just a "Don" of a mafia -- perhaps more a "Queen" of an ant colony).

Although she rides a wheelchair now, this is only a fairly recent occurrence (since the early 90's, near the end of the UNIX wars). She certainly has enough power to cure herself, and can even use her sorcery to stand or walk for short periods of time (with some obvious effort). But the fact that she chooses to stay crippled is more psychological -- she's tired of watching her descendants tear each other apart and won't know peace again until the future of the dynasty can be secured.

I have not had time to cycle through clothing as I usually do when creating new characters, so I whipped up something quick that's conservative, utilitarian and monotone-enough to reflect the spirit of UNIX. I encourage the boots and skirt with the perforated "UNIX" logo to stay, but I do request your help with the rest of her attire as I still need her to look, not necessarily futuristic or fancy, but still a little less down-to-earth.

Her Nix Staff is an ancient throwback to the Linux spear, and the almost sickening simplicity is purely intentional. Each roman letter represents a tenet of the UNIX philosophy, and there are more on the other side. This is, however, a trap as it forces naive disciples to try to memorize any of the many Unix philosophy lists created to date,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

...in hopes that they can win favor with UNIX-sama, only to receive an unceremonious whack instead. The actual answer is that there's only one tenet, not surprisingly why the Nix Staff looks suspiciously like an unadorned "one".

As you noted, the things on her head are actually horned owl ears....

To add distinction, and to associate her with an animal element (like penguins to Linux or cats to the Win-tans/OSX-tans), I wanted to choose something that represented age and wisdom AND had some physical appeal AND hasn't been seen in Anime before. In addition, the horned owl has been used to anthropomorphize Unix on some occasions,...

...so it seemed like a match made in heaven. ^___^

Likewise, her eyes are meant to be a bit owl-like -- always penetrating, glaring and intelligent. She need not subdue an enemy by force -- just the right stare and psychological mind game (a la Hannibal Lecter) is enough to bring a foe whimpering and crying to his knees. For safe measure, the shining Bell Lab logos forever implanted into her eyes -- a quaint tribute to a harsher and savage era -- add a further mysterious and hypnotic element to her eyes.