What Manga are you reading?

Started by Gummster, March 28, 2007, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Anybody got any recommendations for manga?
Because I haven't really read any commercial manga... doujins but that's it really.

Preferably something akin to Lucky Star/Acchi Kocchi/anything that is SOL or yonkoma.

Chocofreak13

hm, a lighthearted series?

well, k-on started out as a yonkoma. yotsuba&! might be to your liking, too. there's also school rumble, harukaze bitter bop and dr. slump, but the 3 of those are kind of ancient relics by now. ^^;
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

stewartsage

Cockleshell

I wanted to pick out a Yotsuba! Manga at AB, but alas no monies :c
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Bella

I was gonna recommend Azumanga Daioh too ... my endorsement should probably be taken with a grain of salt though, as I've seen a only a few episodes of the anime and managed to read through a small part of the complete collection while hanging around a Books-a-Million last week. ^^;

stewartsage

Sometimes I read shit on Dynasty and just ponder..... what the fuck.

Yuri Mekuru Hibi is funny though, so its worth the reading.

Fly by Yuri's probably my favorite scanlation group/single person now.  She's got an excellent eye for yuri oneshots.

Chocofreak13

not sure if i should call these two Love Hina volumes swap meet fodder, or collect the rest of the series.... >_>;
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

What the fuck is a Dowman Sayman, you may ask.  Awesome, I say quietly, slightly stunned and disoriented after reading his collected work.

Chocofreak13

why do publishers license manga and then just leave them? it would have been better had they never licensed it at all. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Sometimes they go out of business too, and leave the manga without a distributor.

Chocofreak13

yeah, that's what happened with Iono-sama fanatics, but 90% of the time it's from a well-known brand. in the case of tokyopop i sometimes forgive it, especially for later titles, but Gamerz Heaven was released by ADV and had 2 volumes to go (out of 4). wtf. >>;

speaking of, they released 16 volumes of Reborn!. they left off in the middle of a super-potent arc
Spoiler: ShowHide
(the cast flash-forwards to the future and finds that the main character is dead)
, leaving the fans quite confused. ><;

or in the case of Seven Seas, if a manga doesn't sell well enough, they stop releasing it. even if they're only one volume away. they don't even release it online. and most of the series they drop are Yuri titles, which is a small enough genre already. >>;

was reading a Yaoi manga the other day called Jazz. i almost skipped getting it, because the book was placed facing away from me so i didn't know it was a June title. glad i checked, since i saved over 90% on it. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I remember when Viz cancelled the original run of the Pokémon Adventures manga. They at least waited until the Yellow arc finished, but it ended with a sequel hook for the Gold\Silver arc...and they dropped the series and didn't translate the first volume of that arc until nearly 10 years later when they finally listened to the fans :\

Now, the Kingdom Hearts manga still pisses me off; as they did release every volume of it in the US, and yet it still wasn't finished, as the series was cancelled in the middle of Kingdom Hearts II because they wanted to start over from the beginning with light novels. If they had at least finished the KH2 story arc before ending it, I wouldn't have minded so much, but the final KH2 volume ends basically as soon as the story really begins >_<;

Chocofreak13

that's more the artist's fault than the publisher, honestly. :\

in the case of Stand By Youth, however, they were ONE volume away from finishing. one or two. (out of 5.) ik Tokyopop went under, but COME ON. >>;
click to make it bigger