how to draw Anime-Style ?

Started by Thurosis, February 24, 2007, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Hey now, that was just a freak Pitkin-induced accident.  -v-

BTW, sorry for not using Tux in the above tutorial, but the Mac Face is a lost faster to draw you know.  ^__^'

Kami-Tux

Hmmm, I guess so, It does not matter now anyways! "Watt fott is is fott!" What is gone is gone!

I know...  Mac is simplistic:)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

QuoteThings should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.
-- Albert Einstein
-Tsu

CaptBrenden

your mission Thurosis should you choose to accept it, and you will T_T, is to draw a comic like that with me finaly defeating my archnemissis.. the pig!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Make sure to make his ban hammer large enough so that he'll keel over under its weight  and get crushed like a tin can. ^.^

Then I walk off into the sunset with 3.1-sama.  -v-

FIN

CaptBrenden

Oh i swapped the ban hammer out for a nemisis force ban sword.  What do you think?  I think this artists rendition of me using it in battle is superb.

but seriosly we need moar comics of forum members

Thurosis

Quote from: "Tsubashi"Ooo! Thurosis-sama! How could you try to hide this amazing piece of art? I must be more diligent in checking your gallery! ^-^
It really is amazing though, and I like the plot! Good job! ^__^

thanks Tsubashi ^^ and everyone! ^^

I'm sorry that i didn't tell everyone about this comic earlier ! I was in the last few days really busy (and the next few days i'll be busy too) -.-" The Hotel where i work stroke -.- (so i think you all know what that means ^_^)

I wanted to tell you all (and wanted to make a thread) but i couldn't. In the same time i wanted to test you all (Sorry, about that) but since you all notice that comic, that proves that you all are good friends! (if i'm allowed to say that )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Everything is learnable!~
It comes only on it, how much strives and time you put into it.
And there arn\'t better or worse for us artist only different!
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

zjhentohlauedy

I just went over your gallery thurosis. Great stuff in there!!

and nice comic you have there! i'm very excited and i'm eagerly waiting to see more from you!!!

keep it up!!! ;010
My my, aren't you lovely~

C-Chan

QuoteOh i swapped the ban hammer out for a nemisis force ban sword. What do you think? I think this artists rendition of me using it in battle is superb.

Well, the artist's rendition is superb, but that ban sword could use another 5 metric tons of weight to it.  It's still not close enough to your head.  ^>^

I wanted to tell you all (and wanted to make a thread) but i couldn't. In the same time i wanted to test you all (Sorry, about that) but since you all notice that comic, that proves that you all are good friends! (if i'm allowed to say that )

I guess you can, but there's not much reason to doubt that to begin with.  -v-
Everyone's reasonably well-behaved here,... a little distracted now and then, but unlike some anonymous imageboards, we're relatively kind to original artwork.  ^__^

Patience, Thurosis, you shall have your Anime renaissance after all.  -v-

================

Now then, on to the final lesson for a while....

This tutorial will be brief simply because you probably know how to operate Photoshop a lot better than Inkscape.  -v-
(the process is likely quite similar in GIMP/GIMPSCAPE).  Besides, it's also a repeat of the previous shading example done in Inkscape, so no sense in dwelling on redundant details.  ^^'

Chapter 3:  Flat-Shading in Photoshop (Head)

The following are some fast techniques I've used before, based on snippets from a seminar conducted by a professional manga artist ("professional" in the actual sense, meaning he drew for money, not necessarily that he was a great artist).  

Aside from advising people to save their work in ULTRA HIGH resolution (so that the lines are thicker, and the bucket/wand tools destroy them less), he also made it a point to keep the lines on a separate layer entirely.  Color underneath them rather than within the same layer -- this way, you gain greater freedom coloring AND can preserve the natural width of your line art.  ^__^

If your lines are based on a scanned ink job (you sketched and inked on paper, than transferred them over into PS for digital coloring), then copy and paste that image to a higher layer and select the "Multiply" Layer Style.  Multiply is something like a transparency mask, so darker colors gets preserved while lighter colors are made invisible.  In this case, since the rest of your image is white, all that should instantly disappear, leaving nothing but the black lineart behind.  

You can add more layers to your image as you see fit, but for this exercise, I'm starting off with just 4 layers: the color, the eys, the lines and the top hair....

First off, select the Top Hair layer and duplicate the layer.  With the duplicate layer selected, darken the color as much as you want (you can try setting Brightness and Contrast to -100), and then offset it a little like in the Inkscape tutorial. Add a bit of transparency just so you can see where you're putting it, but make sure to revert it back to 100% aplha when you're done.

-Next, move this Shadow Hair layer down, right underneath the Eye Layer (but above the Color layer).

Next, select "Color Burn" as the layer style for the Shadow Hair Layer.  You're also free to try "Overlay" and "Soft Light" if the scene calls for it, but Color Burn is a good starter since it disappears over transparent areas, and does a good job of blending other color elements.

Next, use the Magic Want to select the head, then copy and paste it to a new layer.  Make sure the new duplicate is colored EXACTLY as the Shadow Hair shape in "Normal Style".

Use the polygonal lasso tool to careful demarcate the outline of the non-shaded area.  Once you're done, delete the color within the demarcation -- you should only be left with a sliver:

Finally, move this Sliver layer up above the Hair Shadow layer, then press CTRL + E to Merge Down.  If they're both colored exactly in their "Normal" state, the Sliver should inherit the same Color Burn properties and blend seamlessly into the layer.

With the two combined, feel free to play aruond with Color Balance and/or Curves to fine tune the shading a little (although for major alterations, it's better to temporarily switch the layer back to "Normal" style, and alter the color of the original shape directly).

For any necessary alterations to the flat shading, use the lasso tool to demarcate the lines, then (making sure the foreground color is still the same as the original "Normal" style color) fill in the area entirely using the paintbrush (or remove it completely with the eraser/delete button).

And that should do it...

Hopefully, veteran PS users will expand on this further; raster graphics are a very flexible medium, so there are literally a ton of ways to go about drawing the exact same thing.  ^__^

I think this will be my last tutorial for a while, but hope these three have been helpful.  -v-

CaptBrenden

No one would go to war against greater demons of the dark gods and bacon still walking with a sword that weighed that much.  No, this thing is feather light.  Nemisis force weapons use the will of the user and the holy might of the divine one (3.1sama) to banish demons and smite evil doers... and its slices some nice bacon.

But anyhow.. since the vector tutorial is over, I shall work on preparing a photoshop tutorial for softshading for turosis.

Laevatein

*jots down everything*

These tutorial's would be very useful in the future, should enhance my PS skills even if slightly ^^

Anyways, any techniques for shading and texturing an object to look "metallic"?

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

SleepyD

All I have to say to that is shine and contrast.

Unless you want more... gritty metal objects, then I can't say much there.

Here, is a tutorial I used on that very same topic years ago. ^^
http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/effects/metal.htm

zjhentohlauedy

My my, aren't you lovely~

Laevatein

Quote from: "SleepyD"All I have to say to that is shine and contrast.

Unless you want more... gritty metal objects, then I can't say much there.

Here, is a tutorial I used on that very same topic years ago. ^^
http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/effects/metal.htm

While I'm thinking more along the lines of anime metal effects, this'll do quite nicely ^^  ;010

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Lightstorm

i tried downloading inkscape but when i launched it it gave me this:

what do i do? i want to be able to use this program, photoshop is so expensive
jre actudo ri estadi jre hakr ri yekai astri\'it (=) The world is over, the fight is just beginning
nevat mayru, wry nyet casvadr (=) Never create, what you cannot control
The Language is Schkrin it is of my own creation

My Code Lyoko Story:
-Secrets of the past-
-Predator\'s Gold-