how to draw Anime-Style ?

Started by Thurosis, February 24, 2007, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurosis

Wow! Amazing Amazing! The Tutorial is very good!

thanks C-Chan! ^^

I will change the name if i only know how ^^"

But i have some questions : this is the shading, right? So did you color 3.1-sama (base/ground colors) with photoshop? Or did you color 3.1-sama with inkscape too???

Or will you tell me those things on monday?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Everything is learnable!~
It comes only on it, how much strives and time you put into it.
And there arn\'t better or worse for us artist only different!
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

redrackham

@C-Chan
*droooling* now i really want to have inkscape....
i'll download it even if i have to wait a day to get it done !
And....i never think that adding shadows are as easy as that.....usually i add it  manually without manipulating path....thanks a lot. Now i want to try it in photoshop ! Mwai !
Life is the most complex OS and system ever.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........!!!!!!!!

Life power rules !!!!

Tsubashi

*Swoons*
You're amazing Senpai!!! Now I wish I could draw something, just to test that out! ^v^

QuoteBTW, Thurosis, if you don't mind,... can you please change the name of this thread? It kind of.................................... worries me ^^;

No, no. It fits quite well. Maybe change it to "How to Draw like a pro"
Just look! There are at least Five people who post here whose art I admire, (I haven't seen the others' work yet ^^')

QuoteSo did you color 3.1-sama (base/ground colors) with photoshop? Or did you color 3.1-sama with inkscape too???

I'm 95.67% certain senpai did 3.1-sama in inkscape. She was part of a project that got canceled.
-Tsu

Thurosis

Amazing Tsubashi! How did you calculate the probability???

and which canceld project was if i'm allowed to ask about it??

Btw
Tsubashi ! Do you know that you are my first (art) fan ??? :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

Tsubashi

QuoteAmazing Tsubashi! How did you calculate the probability???

Easily! Just follow this equation!:

Quoteand which canceld project was if i'm allowed to ask about it??
It was the Thai ME project (available for download)

QuoteTsubashi ! Do you know that you are my first (art) fan ???

No, with as good as your art is, I'm sure your lying! ^^
-Tsu

Thurosis

QuoteTsubashi ! Do you know that you are my first (art) fan ???

No, with as good as your art is, I'm sure your lying! ^^

No i'm not lying! That's true! all other people who saw my arts always says "cool" or something like that but they always forget that after few days but you Tsubashi are different from those guys! you still like my arts and you still remember my arts and didn't forget it like those guys!
So your my first fan !
And this make me feel sooooo happy! ^_^

C-Chan

Alrighty, what've we got.  ^__^

QuoteWow! Amazing Amazing! The Tutorial is very good!

thanks C-Chan! ^^

I will change the name if i only know how ^^"

Thank you, Thurosis.  -v-

Oh, and to change the name, simply press the "Edit" button on your very first post in this thread, change the topic name there, then hit "Submit".  ^^

QuoteBut i have some questions : this is the shading, right? So did you color 3.1-sama (base/ground colors) with photoshop? Or did you color 3.1-sama with inkscape too???

Inkscape definitely.  In fact, when using real vector graphic tools, you can essentially ink AND color simultaneously.

While you do have the option of simply exporting the lines to Photoshop, and then coloring them in there (most artists do that), that's only reserved if you want exceptionally high-quality raster coloring done.  As far as Anime production goes, the more efficient option is better, especially if the animation can still be made to look reasonably jaw-dropping.  -v-

If time permits, I'll throw in a bonus tutorial today for creating easy shapes in Inkscape.  ^__^

Quote[@C-Chan
*droooling* now i really want to have inkscape....
i'll download it even if i have to wait a day to get it done !
And....i never think that adding shadows are as easy as that.....usually i add it manually without manipulating path....thanks a lot. Now i want to try it in photoshop ! Mwai !

Woohoo!!  Told you Inkscape wouldn't bite ya!  ^__^
Especially with version 4.5, it's never been more worth it to try it.  ^v^
I'm very excited about the future of SVG as a primary graphics format.  ^.^

Granted it will be a little weird to use since you're probably not used to doing it, but the more you know about what the Inkscape tools can do for you, the easier it will be to develop quick shortcut techniques like the one I illustrated above.  

I've got a few more, and I'll be divulging those gradually as time goes on.  -v-

In the meantime, definitely practice with the Photoshop vector tools -- while they're inferior, they DO at least get you used to thinking in strokes, nodes and paths rather than pixels.  ^^

Quote*Swoons*
You're amazing Senpai!!! Now I wish I could draw something, just to test that out! ^v^

Don't wish, just try it out.  -v-'

But methinks you're waiting for "something else" to get done, so I'll be sure the finished product inspires you somewhat.  -.-

QuoteNo, no. It fits quite well. Maybe change it to "How to Draw like a pro"

No pro!  You wanna get ban hammered by an unamused armored space knight?  T__T'

QuoteI'm 95.67% certain senpai did 3.1-sama in inkscape. She was part of a project that got canceled.

Correct on both accounts.  Because I like the scalibility of SVG graphics, I've done everything possible so that 99.9% of my images are worked in Inkscape.  Photoshop is only around to convert the HUGE PNGs into more web-friendly file sizes,... and even that can probably be handled by Irfanview or GIMP.  -.-

And yes, she's a character from a cancelled free commission project.  -__-

QuoteEasily! Just follow this equation!:

Yep, definitely taking over the world....  -v-

Just look at that rocket science equation.  `v'

QuoteIt was the Thai ME project (available for download)

Yes, the ME-tan portion of that image is available to download free from the SVG folder of the Downloads section.

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?cat=7

The picture of the two is naturally posted up in my Scrap Art Gallery (near the very end):

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=74

QuoteNo i'm not lying! That's true! all other people who saw my arts always says "cool" or something like that but they always forget that after few days but you Tsubashi are different from those guys! you still like my arts and you still remember my arts and didn't forget it like those guys!
So your my first fan !
And this make me feel sooooo happy!

You should be a little more careful about how you say things 'round here.  Remember before that you complained about how all the kids you were with were "childish, spoiled and dumb... unproductive, lazy and don't have manners".  So if you want to keep the right to say that with impunity, you've got to be careful about not sounding like that yourself, even if that's not your intention.  -v-;

In any event, I'll look into squeezing that extra Inkscape demonstration before day's end, now that I've gotten a few people (some who've posted, some who've not) that are interested in the program.  -v-

Though I'd love to be around 24/7 to help new initiates, I know that's impossible.  ^__^
Nonetheless, for anyone willing to try it out on your own, these tutorials are excellent (though won't help you specifically with Anime cel-shading):

http://www.inkscape.org/doc/index.php?lang=en

Tsubashi

Quoteall other people who saw my arts always says "cool" or something like that but they always forget that after few days

Maybe people local to you might say that,but I'm sure that there are plenty of people on this forum who view, admire, and remember the artwork you've posted here. Believe me, I am one of many. ^^

QuoteAnd this make me feel sooooo happy!

Yokatta, you should be happy more often! ^^;

QuoteDon't wish, just try it out. -v-'

Well, this isn't my normal "I'm bad at drawing" wish, this is an "OMGS! I have, like, twelve projects due and the server just went down" type of wish. -v-
Once I resolve everything, I'm definitely going to try it out! ^__^

QuoteYou wanna get ban hammered by an unamused armored space knight? T__T'

True, I forgot about that. Okay how about "How to draw like a pig?" ^.^

JK! ^-^

QuoteYep, definitely taking over the world.... -v-

Just look at that rocket science equation. `v'

Spheroidal wave equation, its not rocket science you know! ^^;
-Tsu

C-Chan

Ah good, Tsubashi-dono came to add a separator, bless his heart!  ^.^

Sorry to post and run, but am trying to install Kubuntu/eComstation sort of simultaneously, so things are probably pretty hectic here too (though not as bad as what are likely Vista-induced server hiccups, I bet.... ^v^)

I'll talk more later, but for now here's my bonus tutorial....

Not really an Anime tutorial, but just a demonstration of the way you construct objects/characters in Inkscape.  Like I said before, the process is more sculpting than actual drawing.

CHAPTER 2: OBJECT DESIGN IN INKSCAPE

For this exercise, we're going to imitate a very well-known symbol.  ^__~
A simple yet elegant one that is quite conducive to vector graphics.  ^.^

First, select the Create Rectangles tool and create a tight rectangle.  Don't worry too much about height-to-width ratios (we'll handle that later). Since the rectangle probably defaults to an undesirable color, make sure to change the path to a light blue color (and a stroke of about 2 pixel-widths in length.

Next, select the rectangle and press CTRL + D to create a duplicate.  Change the path color to a cyan hue.

Select the Draw Bezier Curves (the blue polygonal pen tool) and draw the kind of shape shown below in black.  Start by inserting one nod above then center of the rectangle, two at the very center, another below the center, and then complete the shape with another two nodes at the far end.  

If Kami-Tux is around, she'll probably point out that this is the trick I told her about earlier.

Select the Edit Path Nodes tool and with the SHIFT key pressed click and drag the top center node out to the right to pull a bezier curve.  Then release the SHIFT key, click the head of the bezier and drag it down to curve the shape of the line.  Repeat the same process for the bottom node.

Next, select both the odd shape and the cyan rectangle, and hit CTRL + -.  This will boolean cut the cyan rectangle so that it inherits the shape of the two curves.

Next, duplicate the new cyan shape and change it to a different color to differentiate it from the original.

Next, select the Edit Path Nodes tool, select the two leftmost nodes and press the "Split path between two non-endpoint nodes" button on the top toolbar to remove the stroke on that section of the shape.  Then, with the two nodes still selected, press DELETE.  You should only end up with a tiny sliver,... a mere black stroke encompassing a tiny little path except on one side which is completely deleted.  If you've ever done 3D graphics, this is very similar to having a polygon face open.

Next, remove the path color of that sliver to keep only the stroke.  Then, use the Edit Path Nodes tool to separate the top and bottom nodes away from the rectangles like shown below.  Also, increase the stroke width to 13 pixel widths to get one nice thick line (don't worry about boxy edges, as the design makes use of them!).

Next, select the Rectangle tool again, draw a small 1:2 ratio rectangle in the light blue area, remove any strokes, and change the path color to black.  Try to keep it relatively close the curved line.

Then, Press CTRL + D to duplicate the small black rectangle and move the duplicate over to the cyan side using the right arrow key.  Try to keep them symmetrical relative to the curved line.

Next, select the Draw Bezier Curves tool again, plot one simple node on the light blue side, another on the cyan aside and press ENTER to close the shape (we just want a simple line).  Remove any path color, switch on the stroke color, and make sure the stroke pixel width is nice and meaty (say, 15 pixel widths).

Then, using the Edit Path Nodes tool, pull the bezier curves in either end to turn the straight line into a pleasant smile.

Now does the graphic look familiar?  ^__^

I wanted to end here, but what the hell,... let's spruce it up a notch!  ^__^

Reselect the light blue rectangle and change the path color to a "Radial Gradiant".  If you've used radial gradiants in Photoshop, it should be easy to create one with a white center and blue background -- otherwise, click the edit button and modify the gradiant accordingly.

Using the Edit Path Nodes tool, move the circular white node at the center of the gradiant to change the location of the focal point -- in the case of the Mac face, to the top center area.

Next, press CTRL + C, then select the cyan half of the face and press CTRL + SHIFT + V to paste the the radial gradiant of the other half.  notice how the focal point remains in the same previous position, so there won't be a need to choose a new location for it.

Go back to the Radial Gradiant window and press Duplicate to assign it a new gradiant.  Then click on Edit to change the blue color into something a little more cyan.

And finally, since the real Mac Face logo is more square than rectangular, finish this off by selecting the right side of the face with the Transform tool, and shifting the rightmost border closer to the eyes/mouth.  Rinse and repeat with the left side, till you end up with this:

And that should about do it.  ^.^

Still plan to discuss Photoshop later on, so don't go away.  -v-

SleepyD

Quote from: "Tsubashi"
Maybe people local to you might say that,but I'm sure that there are plenty of people on this forum who view, admire, and remember the artwork you've posted here. Believe me, I am one of many. ^^

Indeed. ^^

Keep in mind that while Jeff doesn't comment, he still looks at em.  Note that I have a backlog of over 1,200 deviations to check, and I do plan on looking at them all.  And providing critiques if you so desire. ^^ And that applies to all of youse. Aurora, C-Chan, and all. I'll look at them all.  If you want crits, go ahead and ask. If I have something to say, I'll say it.

And C-Chan, great Inkscape tut. ^^

And maybe Jeff could add to your Photoshop tut.  Cuz Jeff doesn't have the time to write one himself. ^^;

C-Chan

Thank you SleepyD.  ^__^
Just popping in, btw, to state the sad yet predictable news that the Photoshop tutorial will have to wait till tomorrow.

Got far too engrossed installing Kubuntu and eComstation.  ^.^'
But yeah --and definitely now that the title's been changed THANKFULLY -- do kind of pile on the Photoshop pointers, since I myself rarely use it anymore and am forgetting stuff.  ^^;

(kinda helps in my transition to Kubuntu as primary OS, since I won't be missing PS as much, but get to use Inkscape in its best medium!)  -v-

Anyway, just as an FYI, I should point out that Thurosis also has the habit of sneaking in his drawings,... and given how quickly things get buried around here, it's no surprise if he has the notion that no one looks at his work.  Case in point....

Y'all tell me that that's not professional work?  ^___^

But definitely, if not for the random picture generator, I would never have seen it.  -v-
Or I would've seen it and liked it, but probably not commented on it (just like the Sleep says) if it didn't have something that I could relate to. -.-

Added after 28 seconds:

Haha!  Just noticed I'm sitting on the Wiki.  ^v^'

Tsubashi

QuoteGot far too engrossed installing Kubuntu and eComstation. ^.^'

Yay! Hooray! That's a good thing to get engrossed in! ^.^

QuoteAnyway, just as an FYI, I should point out that Thurosis also has the habit of sneaking in his drawings,... and given how quickly things get buried around here, it's no surprise if he has the notion that no one looks at his work. Case in point....

Ooo! Thurosis-sama! How could you try to hide this amazing piece of art? I must be more diligent in checking your gallery! ^-^
It really is amazing though, and I like the plot! Good job! ^__^

QuoteHaha! Just noticed I'm sitting on the Wiki. ^v^'

LOL, that's Uber-Creative, Thruosis-sama! and very approriate! ^.^
-Tsu

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Got far too engrossed installing Kubuntu and eComstation.  ^.^'
[snip]

(kinda helps in my transition to Kubuntu as primary OS, since I won't be missing PS as much, but get to use Inkscape in its best medium!)  -v-

/me hugs C-Chan, provided he allows it. My opinion of you keeps on rising!

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

HAHA!  You mean you had a LOW opinion of me before when I was just on Xubuntu?  `v'

Nah, just kidding.  ^__^

BTW, don't forget the Inkscape Tutorials on this page and the one before,... maybe there's something I mentioned that can help speed things up a notch?  ^.^

Added after 3 minutes:

Oh, and BTWx2,... I hear you CAN use Inkscape in eCS, since it has very good virtualization.  /C-chan is happy.  ^v^

Kami-Tux

I had a low opinion of you when you were an ME-tan. :)

Wow, sounds neat!

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!