Linux 0.12+VM-tan

Started by Kami-Tux, February 23, 2007, 09:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Oh, there are ways to improvise that.  ^v^
But I do appreciate the extra fullness on her chest,.. at the age when she was released, I figure she was quite a dish given her system specs relative to other commercial OSes.  -.-

Kami-Tux

Okay, I have replaced her image now... better?

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Jereath

Uhm... I'm kinda lost for words?

Anyway, I'll be posting up an in-depth of how RedFlag Linux-tan will going to look like.

I will try to detail her as much as I can and I'm gathering some information about some Chinese traditional clothes, weapons, etc.

Pretty soon I will manage to text them down. It will be great if someone can sketch them bit by bit of the detail given!

C-Chan

No Prob.  ^.^

BTW, love the AVI,... but what's with the gallow....? ^v^;

Kami-Tux

I'll look forward to that. I know that my rendition of her will be very twodimensional. but my attempts to get the shadows right ended by closing inkscape annoyedly.

BTW: I uploaded a slightly improved amiga-tan to the Gallery.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Thank you, ZZKami-Tux.  ^__^

But what's this about problems with shading/shadows?  '__'

Oh, and Jereath,... have you given any thought to what we said about Inkscape?  ^___^

Kami-Tux

I just can not make them the way I consider them to look right. I attempted it with Gentoo-tan's face for like one hour... So, it's not a bug, it's a feature... it's not ineptness but my style.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Jereath

Yeah, I downloaded it but it doesn't have the pressure and tilt of tablet.. and I can't really sketch anything except for deformed animals..

Kami-Tux

It is vectorgraphic, yeah. Thi does mean some features of Pixelgraphic do not exist, but it is IMHO not a fault of the program. vectorgraphic specifically does not store every pixel but only the primitives, which were used..

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

QuoteI just can not make them the way I consider them to look right. I attempted it with Gentoo-tan's face for like one hour... So, it's not a bug, it's a feature... it's not ineptness but my style.

I'm wishing I had a template for what you consider to be the "right" shading/shadowing effect you're aiming for, so then that way I can help you search for a systematic solution.  Without that, all I can do is root for you so that you won't have to shut off Inkscape in annoyance.  ^__^

QuoteYeah, I downloaded it but it doesn't have the pressure and tilt of tablet.. and I can't really sketch anything except for deformed animals..

QuoteIt is vectorgraphic, yeah. Thi does mean some features of Pixelgraphic do not exist, but it is IMHO not a fault of the program. vectorgraphic specifically does not store every pixel but only the primitives, which were used..

Precisely.  
There are tools included called "Draw Freehand Lines" and "Draw Calligraphic Lines", the former simulating freehand with a simple pencil, the latter simulating the same thing but with tilt and pressure.  However, they're still composed of a series of strokes and nodes (or in the cast of the calligraphic lines, strokes and paths), so it's not true free-style as you see with raster graphics programs (such as Photoshop and GIMP).

That's why I tend to say that vector graphics are more "Sculpting" then "drawing", because you're laying out primitive shapes, then sculpting them to the desired appearance.  (just like taking a rock and chipping away till you get a statue -- only you're allowed to undo your work and use layers... ^.^)  

That's why it's fairly novice friendly, since anyone with an unsteady hand (such as myself) can just draw the strokes first in abstract shapes, then bend them carefully till the finally appearance looks like you want it to look like.  Unlike raster graphics, it's very precise,... and up until Blur Effects were introduced, one would say vectors were TOO precise,... very ill-suited for photorealistc pictures.  ^__^

If you want an example, my best free SVG download can be grabbed from here and you can examine the components at your leisure....  ^__^

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=70

For Inkscape tutorials, you can see this page:

http://www.inkscape.org/doc/index.php?lang=en

Kami-Tux

Well, that is the problem, I want the highlights and shadows to be not as exaggerated as in many drawings. I don't like it if color gradients are used too much. What I tried for >1 hour was to move 1 path without an outer line, a darker color and partial transparency until it was okay.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Jereath

I just read something on the Inkscape and photo realistic is possible for it. A Brazilian used Inkscape and drew a tea cup with the sauce and it looked real.

What's a svg file? How do I open it?

Kami-Tux

SVG is a vector graphics format which was designed to be platform-independant, ie: it opens on Linux, BSD, Darwin, BeOS... you ought to be able to open it in your browser to see it, but that might be very beta! Inkscape can open and edit svg-files.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Yeah, that Brazilian coffee cup is really a sight to behold.  ^.^

So are these, if I might add:

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

Another great thing I like about version 4.5 is the fact that you can create Unions out of multiple paths, and not just two.  This is a real time saver when creating blank duplicates of my characters in order to simulate stroke/border effects.  ^.^

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Inkscape is OS/2 or eComStation compatible?  I might just be able to play with a free copy of OS/2 4.52 after all....  -v-