Linux 0.12+VM-tan

Started by Kami-Tux, February 23, 2007, 09:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kami-Tux

Ever since C-Chan was talking about the first Linux-tans and Minix-tan I had the idea to draw them together. The Linux-tan in question would be the one symbolizing kernel 0.12+VM because that was the first Linux which stepped out of Minix's shadow. I wonder how I should draw her so she still appears to be a Linux-tan but has no references to nonexisting features. These are my ideas: her helmet has already the GNU-horns, but the KDE-gear is missing. Her dress lacks the USB-symbol (Is there one for IDE or ISA?), her spear has instead of a GRUB banner either a bash one or a tiny finnish flag. I think the penguin references should remain despite Tux only being introduced in kernel 2.0, simply so she remains similar to modern Linuxes.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Excellent, oh Great Penguin God!!!  ^v^
I had a similar idea before, but no hope to spare the time to draw it.  ^___^
Since this is the perfect opportunity to get that pic idea rolling, let me help you any way I can.  ^.^

Physically:  Due to the maturity of the OS relative to what she ends up being, I imagine her as a very small, young girl, around 93cm or so tall.  Though by now she can cup both her sensei and her sensei's floppy in her hands, the disparity is still marginal enough to make the scene comical.  Her hair is short (perhaps cropped around the nape of her neck), and her features are cute and diminutive (definitely "penguin-like"); and her expressions, while not fearful or clueless, do hint at a feeling of insecurity.

Helmet:   I actually envision a penguin-bill cap instead of a helmet -- similar to the one Juzo-kun's Gentoo-tan wears, except with the addition of two small GNU horns on each side as you say.  I think this better accentuates the youthfulness, while still being a foreshadow of things to come.

Dress:  as you say, likely the same penguin suit as the one drawn by the original Futaba artists, except smaller and (as you say) without the USB-like symbol.  You can probably add IDE or ISA embroidered near the neck area.  As much as I dislike them, the flippers help accentuate her youth so I would recommend them.  -.-

Spear:  For a young Linux-tan, a spear only 1/3 of its current size sounds appropriate.  ^.^
I have a BASH-tan in mind, so I would personally lobby more for the Finnish flag.  ^v^

Kami-Tux

I have finished something: Minix-tan arguing with Linux-tan. This is supposed to remind of the Linux-is-obsolete discussion.
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-4536

Edit: The finish flag didn't look good in this picture. I hope you do not feel too confined by me mentioning bash on the spear. :)

Added after 3 hours 19 minutes:

I wondered why the picture was so small and apparently exported it wronlgy... it should be readable by now.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Haha!  Not a problem.  ^___^
That just means her (BASH-tan's) name is on there, like a sponsor of sorts.  ^.^
When I did Apple ][-tan, GS/OS was simply an inscription on an apple -- but thanks to Aurora, she also became her very own OS-tan.  ^v^

The picture came out very cute, and it's kind of a refreshing change of pace since we hardly ever get to see any Linux strips where she talks.  I'm also happy to see that you choose to use some of my recommendations.  ^v^

Minix-tan does seem like a blast from the past, since you used her old attire in this picture (cyan "M" sweater with blue plants and clogs).

Now..... at the risk of sounding clueless...........

...and please don't hurt the pig for asking, since I've only been aware of other OSes for barely a year.....

...But exactly who is Coherent-tan?  ^^'

Kami-Tux

A commercial Unix for PCs which at that time was really expensive (btw: in German I'd have said 'schweineteuer' which is translated literally as 'pig expensive'). While Minix was a course material for Operating System courses and Linux at that time was a toy, coherent was a serious OS. Wikipe-tan can tell you more about Coherent-tan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_(operating_system)

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Fufufu... "pig expensive"....  ^^
As you can see, even though I've tried to learn as much as I can about different operating systems, there are still many many more I haven't gotten to yet.  

Doesn't help that UNIX-sama procreated like a rabbit, and probably has more progeny then there are non-Unix systems in the market.... -v-'

Even though it's understandable that Linux has not yet dethroned consumer OSes in the West (the same way it did for Coherent), its popularity in the east and emerging markets of the world could probably be the new "death-knell".

Kami-Tux

well, it did dethrone BeOS and OS/2 :)

SCNR.

But yeah, the emerging markets and the opensource OSes surely fit together well. I heard that in Cambodia Linux is preferred because khmer translations exist for some programs and more can be added. And was Windows ever translated to Nepalese? There is a nepalese distro of Linux.

Added after 1 minutes:

Must... draw... NepaLinux-tan!

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Quotewell, it did dethrone BeOS and OS/2

Hehehe,... well I'll just consider that unintentional "collateral" damage, so my opinion of Linux-san won't sour.  ^.^

(though you can never really sour at anything "free"... ^v^)

QuoteBut yeah, the emerging markets and the opensource OSes surely fit together well. I heard that in Cambodia Linux is preferred because khmer translations exist for some programs and more can be added. And was Windows ever translated to Nepalese? There is a nepalese distro of Linux.

And here I thought I saw everything with a ZeusLinux.  That's fantastic, and no M$ wouldn't touch these places with a 60 km pole, but would certainly be the first to whine about a declining user base.   ^__^

I suppose a Red Flag Linux would also have to be drawn given the weight of the market it's in.

Kami-Tux

hmm, *looks at Lovee and other chinese in this forum* Someone here who knows how Red-Flag-Linux-tan would look like? If I draw her, she'd look VERY GDRish.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

HAHA!!  ^v^
Yeah, I'd wait for that too... -v-
In every country there's always a huge disconnect between the gov't and its people.  -.-'

Then again, there's also TomLinux to help vary things from the norm,...  Ã,¬vÃ,¬'

Kami-Tux

TomLinux? Wikipe-tan could not help me with that one.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Fufu,... good luck reading this one then.  ^.^

http://www.tomlinux.com/

It's embedded, though, so not sure if that counts.  -v-

Kami-Tux

Ah nice... DSL-tan's Chinese friend?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Something like that, I suppose.  ^__^

From DistroWatch, I got a whole slew of embedded Linux platforms to choose from:

ââ,¬Â¢ AspisOS
ââ,¬Â¢ Arabella Software
ââ,¬Â¢ BlueCat Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ Darma NAS OS
ââ,¬Â¢ DIET-PC
ââ,¬Â¢ eLux
ââ,¬Â¢ EMC
ââ,¬Â¢ emKnoppix
ââ,¬Â¢ Etlinux
ââ,¬Â¢ Familiar Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ freevix
ââ,¬Â¢ iMedia Embedded Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ KaeilOS
ââ,¬Â¢ LEAF
ââ,¬Â¢ Lem Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ Linux Epia
ââ,¬Â¢ LynxOS RTOS
ââ,¬Â¢ m0n0wall
ââ,¬Â¢ MediaBoxOS Embedded Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ Metrowerks (Embedix, Lineo)
ââ,¬Â¢ MontaVista Linux (Hard Hat Linux)
ââ,¬Â¢ Midori Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ MyLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ NeoLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ OpenWrt
ââ,¬Â¢ Pebble Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ PeeWeeLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ Pico/Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ PXES Linux Thin Client
ââ,¬Â¢ routerlinux
ââ,¬Â¢ RTLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ RXLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ SlimLinux
ââ,¬Â¢ SnapGear Embedded Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ TimeSys
ââ,¬Â¢ Tomlinux
ââ,¬Â¢ uClinux
ââ,¬Â¢ White Dwarf Linux
ââ,¬Â¢ Zynot

And to think there are many other non-Linux embedded OSes as well.  ^^

The only other CIOST OS-tan I have in mind, aside from VMS-tan, is an eCOS-tan.  No real reason why since I know nothing about it, but figure she could harbor a nasty vendetta against Red Hat Linux-tan.

Added after 1 minutes:

BTW, I uploaded a few more SVG todays (open source Windows -- who would've thought the day would come when pigs flew?! ^.^), so don't forget to post your latest ones as well if you want.  ^v^

Kami-Tux

Oh right, uploaded the two OS-tans. I don't think I need to upload Linux 0.12+VM-tan seperately, do I?

Added after 59 seconds:

Yeah, there are a few distro-tans. which at least means that you never walk alone :)

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!