What phone/smart device are you using?

Started by DustiiWolf, January 20, 2014, 08:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Cool. I just hope that it works better than the Moto X; which felt like it wouldn't activate properly (Every last one of them I sold was returned within the first hour due to issues with activating; most commonly due to it eating their prepaid card and then cutting them off after 10 minutes when it's supposed to be unlimited talk time. Granted, it was on Verizon, so that's likely a factor >_>; )

stewartsage

It works great and it's a Verizon..... So basically if you all ever have shitty products, unload them on me so they can magically start working.

Nichi

LeaflameSD

The handset I'm using now is the HTC Desire C:
My argument isn't really great, but if you can please read.

Honestly I'm really, REALLY hating this phone. Everything lags/is jerky no thanks to the 600mhz processor and Adreno 200 GPU (it also has only 512MB of RAM but then again later versions of Android were optimized for low-end hardware). The 3.5 inch HVGA screen is pretty pixelated, not very bright, and looks blueish. Half the freaking buttons don't even work, NFC is not working properly even though it is supported, and the earpiece is very quiet.

But honestly, that only scratches the surface. The phone shares most of the specifications that graced the 2011/12/icantfuckingremember HTC Wildfire S which was a GOOD phone, yet if it tries to do something complicated like idunno, make a CALL, the phone shits on you.  If you're poor, get a Moto E or Android One phone. Even a Nokia brick is better.

Chocofreak13

Good to know. We may need to get mum a new phone soon, as hers is starting to break down. >>;

I got a new case for my iphone. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, currently beginning a long process of trying stuff in an effort to get my S3 to stop overheating; as when it hits a point of "throw it in the freezer at work to get it to cool down", it's time to do stuff. So far, I've removed the Skype app (Not like I use it much, anyway), and did a cache reset; which finally got battery usage back below 50%, and the phone itself seems more responsive.

I have things backed up, just in case I have to resort to heavier methods (Factory reset, rooting) to correct this problem, but so far, everything seems fine

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Penti-chan on April 16, 2015, 01:40:46 PM
So, currently beginning a long process of trying stuff in an effort to get my S3 to stop overheating; as when it hits a point of "throw it in the freezer at work to get it to cool down", it's time to do stuff. So far, I've removed the Skype app (Not like I use it much, anyway), and did a cache reset; which finally got battery usage back below 50%, and the phone itself seems more responsive.

I have things backed up, just in case I have to resort to heavier methods (Factory reset, rooting) to correct this problem, but so far, everything seems fine
rooting and installing a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod often solves speed/battery issues
maybe you should try it... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from rooting

Goujer (she/her)

I would look through your settings and try to find anything that could be using the Wi-Fi or cellular antennas. Also screen brightness can be a major heat maker.

If you go the rooting method but don't want to lose stuff by installing a custom rom look for some kernel tweeking apps that can loser your CPUs maximum and minimum clock speeds. That might help save battery and take off some heat.

Physically you can check the contacts from your battery to your phone, a semi corroded contact might make some heat.

Nichi

I did a reset of the cache, and that seems to have helped. The heat was consistently below the battery, around where the SD card slot is. Wifi is usually disabled, and the only thing using 3G is my usual stuff...which wouldn't explain why bringing up the My Files screen would cause it to overheat like I loaded Firefox :\

Chocofreak13

it may also be a software malfunction. you sure there were no recalls on this model?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Not that I'm aware of, at least. It seems to be doing better, now that I did the cache reset; RAM usage, battery life, and temp have dropped back to normal.

Goujer (she/her)

I just ran through all the possibilities I know of as an electronics enthusiast/semi-proffesional phone repair guy.

If the problem still continues I would follow Kari's suggestion and look up your phone's model on the internet and see if there has been a recall or others that have had the same problem.

Nichi

Mmm. Seems fine for right now, but I'll keep those in mind if something goes wrong again. Thanks :3

LeaflameSD

Just got my iPhone 4 in the mail
its in pristine condition but tfw no sync cable ;^;

Chocofreak13

at the very least you can pick up a new one for rather cheap if you have a department store in your area. the walmarts here sell them for like, $15-20 USD. :\

last week we attempted to jailbreak GTouch (iphone 4); ran into a list of problems:

1. current version of pangu will not accept a phone that old, Claire had to download an older version, which...
2. did not accept Claire's computer as "good" (it literally said in shitty fake broken Chinese "Your Computer Bad, Use Friend Computer"), which led to
3. Claire having to use MY computer (i don't mind, but still complicated), though this was further complicated by
4. making a backup of the phone (the smart thing to do) since the phone is 32gb, and ultimately
5. even after it finished (which took several hours), the jailbreaking wasn't working, so we had to reschedule for next week.

all this after having to re-import my entire itunes library after i was almost done with it a first time.

this twin idea is getting harder and harder by the day.... *w*;;;;;
click to make it bigger