What phone/smart device are you using?

Started by DustiiWolf, January 20, 2014, 08:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

Seeing as there's a thread for computers/OSes, and one for games, but none for mobile devices (PDA, Smartphone, Smart Player, etc...), i figured id start one. Hope no one minds. Figured mobile phone stuff should fall under its own topic.

Having to reset my Nokia. The storage issue is becoming too much. Microsoft needs to make Disk Cleanup for windows phone. My thumbnail cache ate my remaining 160MB and forced the reset upon me (aka: i had no other choice at that point). GDR2 & GDR3 updates supposedly "fixed" this, but clearly not. Being able to clear old system updates and the thumbnail cache (among other unused/outdated/expendable system files) would be an enormous help... It's like sometimes Microsoft forgets the Windows in Windows Phone.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

My phone is this really crappy Motorola flip phone that barely gets a signal anywhere in town; I can be in the middle of the woods and have a perfect 5-bar signal, but no service at all, or really poor service (Like, 1 to 2 bars) when I'm on the end of town where everything is located (Wal-Mart, library, both of my current jobs, my previous job, etc.)

I plan to upgrade, but it boils down to the phone I want (Samsung Galaxy Centura) being $100 :\

Krizonar

This will be my third year with my iPhone4S.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on January 20, 2014, 09:02:36 PM
My phone is this really crappy Motorola flip phone that barely gets a signal anywhere in town; I can be in the middle of the woods and have a perfect 5-bar signal, but no service at all, or really poor service (Like, 1 to 2 bars) when I'm on the end of town where everything is located (Wal-Mart, library, both of my current jobs, my previous job, etc.)

I plan to upgrade, but it boils down to the phone I want (Samsung Galaxy Centura) being $100 :\

I'd recommend the Lumia 520 or 521, (which are $50 - $80 depending where you shop) but I doubt WP is your cup of tea. :\

Chocofreak13

my peripherals consist of the following:

GothTouch (GT):
Iphone 4
32gb
Black (Hello Kitty Case)
Replacement Screen, bought second-hand from my sister

GothPod:
Ipod Nano 4th Gen
8gb
Black
bought at Costco for $50 less than I would have paid in store; about 6 months before the 5th gen came out -w-;

GothPhone
LG 420G (small prepaid flip phone)
Black with custom ringtones, wallpaper, and 6 cell phone charms
graduation present from an ass I no longer talk to

GothDrive
Seagate External Drive
2tb
Black
given to me as a gift after my sister got fed up with it

GothCam
Sony Cybershot 12.1 megapixel Digital Camera
Black
Christmas present years ago; with GT around I scarcely use it anymore

FlashGoth I & II
twin PNY 4gb SwitchDrives (Switchblade-style Flash Drives)
Blue
I is no longer operational

FlashGoth III
Missing; presumed dead

FlashGoth IV
4gb HP locking SwitchDrive (the PNYs activate by pressing a button; this one you actually have to pull out and turn around which is a bit of a bitch)
Black and Purple

FlashGoth V & VI
twin 8gb Sandisk PopDrives (pop and fold over to access)
Red and Blue respectively

Dalek Sec
8gb PNY Attaché Flash Drive
Black
was named by an old college friend; I've considered renaming it to match but I don't see my college friends anymore so I doubt I will

I'm not counting portable consoles as peripherals here, nor am I counting my tablet.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Dustii: I don't mind Windows Phone, but IDK if StraightTalk or Verizon offers that phone; otherwise I might consider to save myself some money.

As for naming of devices and phones, I might as well share mine:

Names, dood: ShowHide
- Flonne (Samsung generic smart phone for StraightTalk
I blew $80 on this smartphone, and TBH it was shit. First off, it didn't even run a brand name OS (Some funky in-house OS that nobody supports), the touch screen was often unresponsive, the clock had a tendency to reset itself to December 31, 1999 for no reason (Which screws up some other features), and worst of all, the ability to send and receive text messages, as well as make calls, was nonfunctional after 2 months for unknown reasons, even if I took very good care of it. It was ultimately replaced, as I swore the next smartphone would run Android or some other major OS.

- Flonne II (Motorola flip-phone for StraightTalk)
This "dumbphone", as I lovingly call it, was bought in a rush because the original Flonne died, and I had job applications out, so I needed something. It's survived roughly 3 years, although due to changes in cell phone towers in my area, I barely get a signal on the populated end of town (You have to be on Verizon or Cellular One to get reception there; which thankfully, StraightTalk does offer phones that operate on Verizon's towers). Looking into a replacement eventually.

- Triforce 1 (512MB flash drive - missing)
Bought this and Triforce 2 at the same time (Wal-Mart had them on clearance for $2.50, at a time when a 1GB flash drive cost $20+, so I scooped up a pair). This one, sadly, went missing

- Triforce 2 (512MB flash drive)
This one I still have, but I don't do much with it anymore.

- Triforce 3 (4GB flash drive)
This was, for a time, the biggest flash drive I had. I used this to migrate my bookmarks, pictures, and whatnot from my sister's old laptop (Just before she moved out) to Frankenstein V3, and for a time this was a LiveUSB for Linux Mint. Now, it's storage for my games from GOG -w-

- Midnight (8GB flash drive)
This was bought on sale at Office Depot. I mostly use it to carry important documents with me (My resume, a list of job references, the guide for EarthBound, the core book for Maid RPG, a digital copy of the Changeling 2nd Edition core book, etc.)

- ME-tan (8GB flash drive)
This one was bought on a whim due to how cheap it was, and I needed some extra space to move anime between 2k-tan and Asagi. Also, it's just the right size to hide in my bra when in trap mode, without it feeling uncomfortable >w>;

- Subspace (16GB flash drive)
My monster of a flash drive; most commonly used to move entire anime series to and from Asagi and 2k, or to carry a lot of videos with me to somewhere (Going to the resort? Have the new episode of AT4W with me, along with a couple of episodes of Soul Eater and whatever else I want to bring -w-)

- Torchwood Three (2k-tan the Desktop's 1TB external drive)
Because I went the route of reusing TARDIS' old 80GB internal drive for 2k's main boot drive, I bought a 1TB external to load most of my documents on. It's almost full between all my pictures, misc. downloads, and lots and lots of anime -w-;

- Absolution (1TB portable external drive)
Bought just before my trip to visit Kari in 2012, this drive carries my anime (As for the name, obvious Toonami reference is obvious). Usually she and I bounce it back and forth between each other to share the anime we've downloaded; at the moment, it's in her hands (Which came in handy when she lost a large chunk of her anime collection; as roughly 80% of it was on this drive -w-)

- Koromaru (Fuuka the Mac Mini's 1TB external drive)
When I still had Fuuka hooked up to my TV, Koromaru served as a mirror of Absolution; using a 1TB drive intended for Kari's laptop, Loly, but ended up being slightly too tall; leading to it becoming an external drive by way of an enclosure. I've considered reformatting it to put it in a more universal format; as it stands, only Fuuka and Sara can modify its contents (Possibly Sonata as well, but I haven't tested with her), while Asagi can only read from it, and the rest of the fleet just stares at it trying to figure out what format this thing is in -w-;;

Chocofreak13

"What......what is this thing? *nudges with toe*"
-2k-tan on Koromaru

also, I'm so sorry I still have Absolution. ;v;
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Phones to flash drives?

Well my 500 Gigabyte Firewire External is named Kodiak

and my 8 Gigabyte Swiss-Army Flash Drive is named Rhapsody.

LeaflameSD

My phone is a Nokia Lumia 520, and it runs Windows Phone 8.
It's a great phone, it being rather cheap, but I have a few problems with it;

It doesn't have a front-facing camera.
The storage space is only 8GB.
Battery runs out rather quickly.

The screen cracked on Sunday, so it's next to useless now  :'(

WPOS is nice, but it barely has any applications/games because it's not open-source. Security is pretty damn high too, meaning it's not as customizable as the likes of Google Android.

Chocofreak13

that sucks, bro. what are you gonna do? :\

I've been toying with the idea of getting something like this for quite awhile, but I can never justify actually doing it. :\
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B1W4962
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

GP has started having seizures.

sheeeeeeet.
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

My nokia has been reset and most apps reinstalled, + settings from cloud backup. Also changed the theme.

Cockleshell

Ugh. I need to get my phone's battery replaced. It dies at 20-30%...
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 21, 2014, 07:15:39 PM
GP has started having seizures.

sheeeeeeet.

Quote from: LeaflameSD on January 21, 2014, 02:23:33 PM
The screen cracked on Sunday, so it's next to useless now  :'(

Quote from: PentiumMMX on January 20, 2014, 09:02:36 PM

Quote from: Cockleshell on January 22, 2014, 06:29:12 AM
Ugh. I need to get my phone's battery replaced. It dies at 20-30%...

is it me or do we all need new phones?

also,
@Leaf: ShowHide

WP8 is like a middle ground. It's more customizable than iOS, but more secure than android. As far as Apps, go third party bro. There's tons of apps that fill in the gaps of official apps by third parties. And even though the OS is not "open source", anyone can create an app (Visual Studio Express is free), and even with Google there is a fee to publish to the store. Open source has nothing really to do with apps as much as adoption by OEMs.

I own the variant of your phone, the 521 for Tmobile. The battery I'm surprised you say drains quickly, since mine lasts all day (unless I play games alot or use lots of data). It does suck lacking a front facing camera and the 8GB memory is plagued by enlarged "other" storage that MS still hasn't fixed completely. But it IS a budget device.

And my digitizer is cracked but it works just fine. Is it the glass part that cracked, or the actual screen?

I'm wanting a Lumia 1320. I'm not big on phablets but the 1320 sold me.