On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 11:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Chocofreak13

March 18, 2015, 12:37:55 pm #450 Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:40:47 pm by Chocofreak13
@kodomo: nope, Teddy's tabby brown and white, while Annabelle's a diluted calico. Momo was the weird one of her litter, being that out of 8 kittens, she was the only cow. :0

@bells: hah, does this mean Hollerith-tan's gonna be in your story? >w>

also, technically OSC's ][-tan makes an appearance in my comic (prominent character, actually), named as Shiroyuki-sama. that was just in written plot, however, and hasn't actually been comic'd out. :0

winduko

I realized something.

There is literally no reason for the OS X catgirls to not exist in my headcanon.

Turning into animals is very possible in my headcanon (Inu-T, I decided, is the same person as NT-tan and Cairo-tan [two different Inu-Ts], just another form), so people turning into cats is hardly revolutionary.

And seeing as, in my headcanon, there is a 98-tan, a 98FE-tan, and a 98SE-tan, then I'm sure that a Mac OS X-tan and a bunch of Mac OS X version-tans should exist as well.

stewartsage

Wait, why do we need to consolidate or downgrade the OS X.x series to pets?  It isn't like there's some reason (shortage of space for publishing, a need to streamline storytelling) to not have -tans for every conceivable different operating system or major revision of an operating system.

winduko

I realized that there was no reason for it, so I decided not to, and combine the idea I had, and the idea that others seem to have.

And thus, they are humans, who just happen to be able to turn into cats. Again, people turning into animals is actually kinda common in my OS-tan headcanon universe thing.

My apologies for the confusion.

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on March 16, 2015, 11:29:53 am
*draws Apple logo on floor, puts out a ring of candles and multiple images of Mac-tans as a means of summoning the Master of all things Mac*


Sorry for taking so long, I got accepted into the world of warships closed beta and have been testing.
Mac tan stuff?!? at long last!


Quote from: stewartsage on March 20, 2015, 08:59:14 pm
Wait, why do we need to consolidate or downgrade the OS X.x series to pets?  It isn't like there's some reason (shortage of space for publishing, a need to streamline storytelling) to not have -tans for every conceivable different operating system or major revision of an operating system.


Nor would it be very logical, as OSX is a brand name. The technology between, say, OSX 10.2 and 10.7 is ludicrously different. (To the point no computer can run both of them as they're not even the same programming language or Apple language either, as the file management system was 100% rebuilt in 10.6.) Meanwhile, Windows 7 and 8 are literally just slightly rehashed Vistas, NT 6.

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on March 20, 2015, 09:13:38 pm
Sorry for taking so long, I got accepted into the world of warships closed beta and have been testing.
Mac tan stuff?!? at long last!


Woo! It worked! ^.^

I'm thinking about working on some characterizations for Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite-tan (sadly I can't find any designs!) but I .. don't really know where to start. ¬_¬

You wouldn't happen to have any ideas for these ladies, would you?


Quote from: stewartsage on March 20, 2015, 08:59:14 pm
Wait, why do we need to consolidate or downgrade the OS X.x series to pets?  It isn't like there's some reason (shortage of space for publishing, a need to streamline storytelling) to not have -tans for every conceivable different operating system or major revision of an operating system.


QuoteNor would it be very logical, as OSX is a brand name. The technology between, say, OSX 10.2 and 10.7 is ludicrously different. (To the point no computer can run both of them as they're not even the same programming language or Apple language either, as the file management system was 100% rebuilt in 10.6.) Meanwhile, Windows 7 and 8 are literally just slightly rehashed Vistas, NT 6.


I don't really have anything to add, just that I agree.

Penti-chan

...am I crazy for expecting Mac OS XI?
(Still let down that we will never see OSX Sabertooth; as they switch to "places in California"...which now has me expecting OSX TechTV Studios or OSX SleepyD's Apartment)

Krizonar

March 21, 2015, 02:28:29 am #457 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:32:08 am by Krizonar
Quote from: Bella on March 20, 2015, 09:49:48 pm
Woo! It worked! ^.^

I'm thinking about working on some characterizations for Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite-tan (sadly I can't find any designs!) but I .. don't really know where to start. ¬_¬

You wouldn't happen to have any ideas for these ladies, would you?


Well I would have some! Despite it being 2 am in the morning...

Mountain Lion: Likes to play games (Gamecenter) and is very chatty (iMessage), doesn't like working much, but is excellent at dividing up work when the situation forces her to do it (iWork documents in iCloud). Has an eidetic memory (notification center). Is supposedly Lion from a not perfectly parallel planet (Steve Jobs died) where Launchpad was an actual rocket.

Mavericks: Will help with anything, loves volunteer work for people she knows (is free) and is very knowledgeable, especially book-smart (iBooks). Has an enormous room of books and maps. Seems to always know directions to places and never gets lost, and, although she used to get lost a lot, she just read more (Maps). Is supposedly the daughter of Mountain Lion, who is from another planet (10.8 and onwards are from the app store).

Yosemite: Is Telepathic to other Mac Tans (Continuity/Handoff), is an absolute neat freak and can find about anything they've touched recently (GUI sleek redesign/Spotlight redesign). She has extremely good eyesight (Safari redesign/Swift) but is mysteriously heavy to the point she will break poorly constructed furniture (She's a Mountain)... leading to her cleaning it up. Is supposedly the daughter of Mountain Lion, who is from another planet (10.8 and onwards are from the app store).


Aurora Borealis

Those sound good, Kriz! I haven't been able to keep up with the different OSX versions past Mountain Lion. Only thing I can think of Mountain Lion liking retro stuff, as some of the programs have a more retro look to them, and wears clashing clothes, often with a retro look to them, as a reference to the design elements in Mountain Lion, and how they clashed with the rest of the interface.

Mavericks and Yosemite would dress more fashionably. I'm undecided as to whether Yosemite would dress like she's hiking through the mountains, or if she'd dress in a minimalist, futuristic style; the latter referencing the design changes in Yosemite, which moved towards a more minimalist look.

Penti-chan

TBH I thought of Yosemite dressing similarly to System 6; given how I noticed the interface of the former feels like a colorized version of the latter

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 21, 2015, 04:11:38 am
Those sound good, Kriz! I haven't been able to keep up with the different OSX versions past Mountain Lion. Only thing I can think of Mountain Lion liking retro stuff, as some of the programs have a more retro look to them, and wears clashing clothes, often with a retro look to them, as a reference to the design elements in Mountain Lion, and how they clashed with the rest of the interface.

Mavericks and Yosemite would dress more fashionably. I'm undecided as to whether Yosemite would dress like she's hiking through the mountains, or if she'd dress in a minimalist, futuristic style; the latter referencing the design changes in Yosemite, which moved towards a more minimalist look.

Thank you for your praise! I was extremely sleepy so didn't cover these types of things, mostly personality and skills, but a retro-ish outfit for Mountain Lion as they moved away from real life representative elements, a rather formal outfit for Mavericks as it had a lot of optimization improvements  and a futuristic style for Yosemite due to the GUI redesign sounds nice, which could include her having a very simply shaped hat that resembles a mountain. Good ideas.

Bella

Wow, thanks for the suggestions Kriz! I really like what you have so far!

Can you clarify why Mountain Lion is supposedly from a parallel planet, and why Mavericks and Yosemite are her daughters rather than sisters like the rest of the OS X lineup? Not that I disagree with the idea (I like it given the differences between OS X 10.9 & 10.10 and earlier releases), I'm just curious what your rationale is.

I really like Mavericks' bookishness and formal choice of attire (of course I would, given it's my computer's OS) and Yosemite's telepathy and futuristic dress style!

Another thing, though this is more my area of expertise/interest since I'm the Unix Fanatic around here -- Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite would all be formally a part of the Unix family (Single Unix Certification compliant), which I think would endear them somewhat to Leopard / Snow Leopard-tan (who herself was the first Mac OS X-tan to gain formal entry into the Unix family). It does leave me wondering what Lion-tan did to get disqualified/kicked out, though.

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on March 21, 2015, 01:05:35 pm
Wow, thanks for the suggestions Kriz! I really like what you have so far!

Can you clarify why Mountain Lion is supposedly from a parallel planet, and why Mavericks and Yosemite are her daughters rather than sisters like the rest of the OS X lineup? Not that I disagree with the idea (I like it given the differences between OS X 10.9 & 10.10 and earlier releases), I'm just curious what your rationale is.

I really like Mavericks' bookishness and formal choice of attire (of course I would, given it's my computer's OS) and Yosemite's telepathy and futuristic dress style!

Another thing, though this is more my area of expertise/interest since I'm the Unix Fanatic around here -- Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite would all be formally a part of the Unix family (Single Unix Certification compliant), which I think would endear them somewhat to Leopard / Snow Leopard-tan (who herself was the first Mac OS X-tan to gain formal entry into the Unix family). It does leave me wondering what Lion-tan did to get disqualified/kicked out, though.


My Mac tan intuition runs deep!

I had it that way because so far, everyone else was sent around on disc technology and descended from Rhapsody, which is descended from Steve Job's earlier works. However, Mountain Lion and onwards are distributed in a new way and have never known or been in the same timeframe as Steve (and importantly, cannot use rosetta). They also strictly get updates from the App store, so it's like the App store is the planet they are from and they are phoning home. My reason for why the two following are daughters was rather complex, but it mostly had to do with Mountain Lion being from another planet and it's known the Mac Tans use genetic engineering, so they used her to infuse a new line that seems to have features out of thin air (from iOS), which would also explain the radical name scheme change. Sort've like how System 6 has that saved by the future story and a new line made, I figured Mountain Lion would be that way too in story. It's complicated and I might not have worded it well, but I hope it's more understood.

Supposedly Lion lacked GPLv3 as it was in a state of license term changes (the company that sets the standards for it, not Apple itself.) Which would more mean Lion was cheated out of it by the bureaucracy of paperwork, which might leave her a bit embarrassed about it.

Bella

Hm, I see! Given Mountain Lion's rocket and her (and her children's) "interplanetary" origins, I can't help but wonder if they would get along with Plan 9-tan (who's likewise spacey herself.) Also, kind of an aside but the whole idea of Mountain Lion being a parallel Lion makes me think of the situation with Snow Leopard, and how we've proposed that she's a time-progressed Leopard-tan from the future.

I suspected the infusion of iOS features would be a part of your reasoning for Mountain Lion & company being a separate bloodline, I'm glad to see my assumption was correct... I'd also like to note that the Unix-tans in general are heavily genetically-engineered as well, so it seems something of an inevitability that the OS X bloodline would wind up seeing some major upheavals and the inclusion of outside genetic information (in this case iOS-tan's, even though we don't really have an iOS-tan proper).

Quote from: Krizonar on March 21, 2015, 01:33:44 pmSupposedly Lion lacked GPLv3 as it was in a state of license term changes (the company that sets the standards for it, not Apple itself.) Which would more mean Lion was cheated out of it by the bureaucracy of paperwork, which might leave her a bit embarrassed about it.


Oh dear. I feel like, even if it was just a bureaucratic bungle, there would still be rumor and speculation that it was something more.

Maybe I'll try drawing these ladies later...

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on March 21, 2015, 02:09:55 pm

Maybe I'll try drawing these ladies later...

Wohoo for agreements and progress! Poor rumors though.

and yay, you know I fave all your Mac Tan art.

Not to mention have wallpapers of some I had the bravery to request... anyway, yay for the 5 minutes of Mac Tan fame, I has a happy.