On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: winduko on July 26, 2014, 02:25:24 PM
Apple-tans have the surname of McUll (Úll is the Irish word for Apple.)
I have no objections for this headcanon. Seems Appley enough for me.

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 26, 2014, 06:38:05 PM
@kodomo: Saseko being whore is grade school stuff, yo. everyone's known that since before even i got here, lol.

Sadly, I didn't. When I found that out it made a lot of things more humourous in my opinion.

also, as long as you keep all those names as PERSONAL canon, it's fine. cause a lot of them have futaba ("actual") canon names by now.

@canon vs personalcanon: idc what people do in their own canon, provided they don't start calling it fact. that was a huge source of friction between me and a few members awhile back, as they were quite forceful with their ideas and the thought of us being the only english site, that we get to write these things as fact. if you create the -tan, you do. if you don't, you don't, and when it comes to the original -tans, to me, japanese fact is paramount.

No worries. I have no intentions to state it as canon. It's a fanon that allows for my story to work the way it does. It's only canon in the things I write and I'm more than fine with that.

To take my word as actual canon in the OS-tan verse outside of my writing is, in my opinion, unwise. Think of my writing as a collection of Alternate Universe fanfics in the same universe, as that's exactly what it is in comparison to Futaba Canon if you ask me.

Quote from: Krizonar on July 26, 2014, 07:09:34 PM
I have no objections for this headcanon. Seems Appley enough for me.

Exactly why I like it. Surnames like McIntosh and Apple are too obvious for my personal use, but I need the surnames to be fitting to their OS. I like adding in Genius Bonuses, as I like to learn, and I enjoy the subtlety I can get from my learning.

at some point i should continue the os-tan comiket. i had an idea for an ending and everything....

I completely agree with you on that one. It's a great comic. :)

In fact, it's what made me want to write my own OS-tan thing.

Bella

I usually use the surname Macintosh in my stories.

winduko

Quote from: Bella on July 26, 2014, 08:41:21 PM
I usually use the surname Macintosh in my stories.

That's to be expected. And it makes it an even better thing that I don't use it. If I did use it, it wouldn't be as creative on my end. Macintosh is a very legitimate surname and it easily shows that "hey this person represents a version of the Macintosh operating system." It's just not my thing. ^^;

In other news, I discovered something that got a sick twisted amusement out of me.

Cairo, Illinois.

It's a ghost town that is said to be the most depressing town in the US.

It amuses me because of my OS-tan fanon. Cairo-tan began as a promising young girl with lots of talent whom ultimately fell (and was never truly released). Chicago-tan, Cairo's twin, began as a girl who had no talent and was nowhere near promising, but she grew up to be Windows 95-tan with nothing short of hard work and determination, things that Cairo lacked and lead to her downfall.

While the OS Cairo was absolutely named after Cairo, Egypt, the fact that there's a Cairo in the very state that Chicago is the largest city of amused me to begin with. I first thought that it was a suburb of Chicago. It then turns out to be as far away from Chicago as a town in Illinois can get, which amused me greatly. And then it's a ghost town on top of that.

It resulted in me getting the most sick, twisted amusement in my life.

Krizonar

In my thoughts/stories, I'll admit I don't actually use a family name for them.

Then again, the reason for this could be quite simple. I am a strictly Mac Tan person and generally tend to not think about/involve other tans, so a family name reference would be unnecessary.

winduko

And your reason is undoubtedly a good one. If you don't incorporate other -tans aside from Mac-tans, then you don't need to elaborate on surnames.

I'm very detailed when it comes to characters, so I still give them surnames, but you are not me, and for the better too. I get obsessed when it comes to details, but it also feels like second-nature to me.

On the other hand, I like to incorporate all sorts of -tans, so surnames are something I need.

Nichi

@Kari: TBH I only just now learned that Saseko means "whore" -w-;;;

@Kriz: To be honest, it was years before I started to work in surnames into my stories. Now, it makes sense for me to add the extra detail; the exception being with James and Sara from Tales of Insanity; which the story was a homage to my earlier works while setting up some plot threads for End of the Millennium.

@Duko: LOL. Cairo, IL is one of those weird things you stumble onto; like how there's a small town floating between Palestine and Dallas, named Eureka...which became the source of many jokes with my parents, because of a TV show about a small town by the same name that we were watching at the time -w-;

Also:
Quote from: winduko on July 26, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
Exactly why I like it. Surnames like McIntosh and Apple are too obvious for my personal use, but I need the surnames to be fitting to their OS. I like adding in Genius Bonuses, as I like to learn, and I enjoy the subtlety I can get from my learning.

...I think I just realized that, within the universe of my stories, 2k has a thing for apples ^^;
I mean, as established in canon, she dated Sonata for a while, and is very close with Rodney McIntosh

Krizonar

I'm mostly interested in my own family, though reading about other tans is of course always fun.

I just hadn't really thought about family names at all regarding tans, as I didn't feel their naming system was necessarily like ours. So in my universe, it isn't. They have a name like Antares and a designation like System 6.

Of course, everything is up to interpretation, so it's perfectly fine they use human naming conventions with last names and such in yours.

winduko

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 26, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
@Duko: LOL. Cairo, IL is one of those weird things you stumble onto; like how there's a small town floating between Palestine and Dallas, named Eureka...which became the source of many jokes with my parents, because of a TV show about a small town by the same name that we were watching at the time -w-;

I was trying to do research for Cairo-tan to see if I could expand her. Google then suggested "Cairo Illinois" and it went downhill from there. xD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 26, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
...I think I just realized that, within the universe of my stories, 2k has a thing for apples ^^;
I mean, as established in canon, she dated Sonata for a while, and is very close with Rodney McIntosh

I am thinking Dirty Things™ right now.

It is now canon in my OS-tan universe that 2k-tan's Trademark Favourite Food is the apple.

Quote from: Krizonar on July 26, 2014, 10:03:50 PM
I'm mostly interested in my own family, though reading about other tans is of course always fun.

I just hadn't really thought about family names at all regarding tans, as I didn't feel their naming system was necessarily like ours. So in my universe, it isn't. They have a name like Antares and a designation like System 6.

Of course, everything is up to interpretation, so it's perfectly fine they use human naming conventions with last names and such in yours.

Well, in my universe, they're close enough to human to use human naming conventions. They're not entirely human, however. They're the beginnings of the post-human race.

Nichi

Well, although I never finished it, there was a yuri in the works detailing 2k and Sonata's relationship; with a planned scene that would have them in bed together...and although it wouldn't go into detail on what they're doing, it would imply enough to know they're doing more than share a bed =w=

Also, there was that hentai where 2k wakes up with a hangover in bed next to Rodney; as she's trying to figure out what, exactly, they did the night before ^^;

winduko

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 26, 2014, 10:24:34 PM
Well, although I never finished it, there was a yuri in the works detailing 2k and Sonata's relationship; with a planned scene that would have them in bed together...and although it wouldn't go into detail on what they're doing, it would imply enough to know they're doing more than share a bed =w=

Not quite the Dirty Things™ I was thinking, but
The yuri will satisfy my needs. I like romantic stuffs.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: winduko on July 26, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
In fact, it's what made me want to write my own OS-tan thing.

what!? seriously!? that old thing!?

haha, that's goddamn high praise, especially since i haven't worked on it in years (Ace's High is my main)! thanks kid. ^^

@Cairo: hahaha, Cairo! i remember the -tan i made for her, i think? i uploaded stuff about her? bells would remember if i did or not. if i didn't i'll try to track down the sketchbook.

to be fair, your approximation wasn't too far off of the personality i created for her....she's REALLY bitter and spiteful towards 95-tan, although it's a one-sided rivalry. it was actually a running gag that she was going to confront 95, who didn't remember her in the slightest, and it would just make her madder. xD;

@last names: last names never came up much in my comic, but i think i toyed with the idea of using the surnames Madobe and Ringo. considering they literally mean "Window" and "Apple" in japanese, it wasn't really inspired, but accurate.

what tripped me up was making "human" names for the various OSes. though i still like Shiroyuki-sama. -w-
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 27, 2014, 01:20:59 PM
what!? seriously!? that old thing!?

haha, that's goddamn high praise, especially since i haven't worked on it in years (Ace's High is my main)! thanks kid. ^^

I'm serious, and it's no problem. I loved it and I miss it. Even though I wasn't there when you began working on it but I still miss it.

@Cairo: hahaha, Cairo! i remember the -tan i made for her, i think? i uploaded stuff about her? bells would remember if i did or not. if i didn't i'll try to track down the sketchbook.

to be fair, your approximation wasn't too far off of the personality i created for her....she's REALLY bitter and spiteful towards 95-tan, although it's a one-sided rivalry. it was actually a running gag that she was going to confront 95, who didn't remember her in the slightest, and it would just make her madder. xD;

...and the funny thing is, even with my headcanons, that doesn't sound all that OOC for 95-tan. Maybe not something that I can imagine happening in real life, but I'm sure forgetting your twin sister (or more realistically, her name) would hardly be the weirdest thing in fiction.

spoiler for my story ahead:
Spoiler: ShowHide
At the beginning, it'll be revealed she forgot to tell Yamada-san (who is her younger sister in my headcanon) about 3.x-tan(their older sister in my headcanon)'s death... which happened almost three years prior to the beginning of the story.

To say the least, it'd hardly surprise Yamada-san if 95-tan managed to forget her twin sister's name or even existence, considering that Yamada-san is well-aware that her sister's memory sucks.

@last names: last names never came up much in my comic, but i think i toyed with the idea of using the surnames Madobe and Ringo. considering they literally mean "Window" and "Apple" in japanese, it wasn't really inspired, but accurate.

what tripped me up was making "human" names for the various OSes. though i still like Shiroyuki-sama. -w-

I use Madobe for the surname of the NT-descended Windows-tans. Partially because if you look at Nanami's family tree and know what the hell is going on, that's exactly what someone did. It's not really canon per se (and I actually don't obey it), but it's a starting point.

Shiroyuki is a very beautiful and awesome name if you ask me.

As for making human names for OS-tans, I find it fun.

Edit: Here's a Translation of Questionable Quality of the Madobe Family Tree.

Spoiler: ShowHide
                   Madobe Family Tree
      Translation of Questionable Quality by:
                              Winduko

Madobe Family                Shirato Family
    Ancestor                           Ancestor
     Sanichi                             Sanhei (?)
      |                                  |
Grandfather  Grandmother      Grandfather   Grandmother
Naozou=====Sanko         Kyuugo======Minami(surname?) Miyako
┌―┴――――――――――――┐               ┌――┴――┐
Uncle                            Mother         Father     Aunt
Yoshimi(surname?) Jin  Mikaho====Kyuuachi  Mie
|        ┌―――――――――┬――┴――――――――――――――――┐
Cousin Oldest Son  Oldest Daughter                             Youngest Daughter
Claude  Goichi            Mutsumi                                                Nanami

Chocofreak13

considering they're all Windows, i never saw much of a reason to differentiate between trees. if nothing else, you could always say the NTs married into it or something.

Shiroyuki was the name we agreed on for the Apple ][.

hrm, if it helps any, i could always post my sketches for the Comiket. i have too much going on atm to consider picking it back up on a consistent basis, but at least you could see how the first arc of it ended. i was pretty proud of the outcome, anyway. ^^;;
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on July 28, 2014, 03:48:37 PM
considering they're all Windows, i never saw much of a reason to differentiate between trees. if nothing else, you could always say the NTs married into it or something.

I will confirm right now that NT-tan married into the Windows family. I've been tempted to say that for a while, but only now has it been relevant to mention. To me I find that idea to make the most sense for why they're together from a story perspective.

Shiroyuki was the name we agreed on for the Apple ][.

Here's another person who agrees even though she came here years after it was decided.

hrm, if it helps any, i could always post my sketches for the Comiket. i have too much going on atm to consider picking it back up on a consistent basis, but at least you could see how the first arc of it ended. i was pretty proud of the outcome, anyway. ^^;;

I'd love that, thank you. As for having too much IRL to work on a project, I understand. I'm not attempting to write my fanfic until late December at the earliest, but that's mostly because this semester I have a Creative Writing and a Psychology class, both of which would be useful to have completed before I attempt any major projects, and my longest break of the year (which splits the two semesters) starts in late December.