On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

A thread similar topic-less, but with the central topic of OS-tans. The purpose of this thread is to post those OS-tan related things that dont really make sense to start an entirely new thread on (and in the event the conversation on something in here gets to the point it needs one, then you create one!).

I had a great idea:

Yuru Denwa (Easygoing Mobile) Anime parody of Yuru Yuri

• Kyoko = Windows Phone, since shes awesome at some things, but is a bit naive (representing WP's design and features, but lacking critical features)

• Yui = iOS, since shes coolheaded and collected (representing iOS' polish and refinement)

• Chinatsu = Android, because despite her beauty, her drawings are hideous (representing androids relatively cool UI, but its hideous reminder of being complicated and messy underneath due to fragmentation, feature overload, and being open source)

• And, drumroll: Akari as blackberry, since no one notices her! (need i say more?). Think about it! ...."Akariiiiin!" ...."Blackberriiiiii!" *character is invisible*

I would so watch this
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Krizonar

Understanding this would most likely require me to have watched "Yuri Yuri".

However, I feel a show about OS-tans would be watched by everyone here as long as it respected the characters, be it funny or serious.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Krizonar on November 27, 2013, 11:09:05 PM
Understanding this would most likely require me to have watched "Yuri Yuri".

However, I feel a show about OS-tans would be watched by everyone here as long as it respected the characters, be it funny or serious.

Omg. You. Watch. Nao.

Its ridiculously funny (as long as you dont hate lighthearted slice of life animes or lesbian innuendoes)

Anyways, i think itd be funny to parody it with the 4 main mobile OS'

Chocofreak13

SOMEONE'S on a YY kick. xD (talk to nej, he loves it too.)

I seriously lol'd at akari. Blackberry. xDDD
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Huh. I wanted to make one of these threads years ago, but I never got around to doing it because /More IBM-tans and /Theories had already become OS-tan Topicless by then.

Ir recently occurred to me that ENIAC-tan would be the ultimate ancestor of the UNIVAC clan .... about 5 years late. Why didn't I make this connection sooner? ><

Chocofreak13

because established topic threads became topicless.

where would GENIAC fall in all this? :0
click to make it bigger

Bella

GENIAC-chan is kind of an oddity - if memory serves right, she's not related to any other OS-tans and was built from scratch. There seems to be some disagreement on how literal that "built from scratch" statement is - iirc, C-chan planned her as something of a living-doll (a la Rozen Maiden), while Aurora's design was puppet-like and needed a human / OS-tan operator to stay conscious, while she seems more autonomous and human-like in Stew's SAGE stories. Then there's whole matter of her lying abandoned and "dead" in an attic for 40 years ... gyeeesh.

Now I'm thinking of the uncomfortable topic of "How ARE computer-tans made, anyway?" Which, as usual, I have mixed ideas about. ^^;

NejinOniwa

The question of how they're made is indeed a pretty weird one.

I've always envisioned it something like this: when you write the source code of a system, you also write the Code that supplies the -tan with power. A computer system being created on the material plane is equal to a -tan being created in Open Space via code. In a way, the -tan is the soul of the system - which is why their existences are linked to one another.

It makes a lot more sense if you've read my Astral Physics blurb for EWAR, which you haven't, so that's that.

Bella

Innnnnnteresting idea. : o

I've always imagined it varies a lot from faction to faction and -tan to -tan.

• Multics-tan was borne of some kind of dramatic high sorcery, possibly involving a blood sacrifice of some sort from CTSS and/or BESYS-tan.
  • Unix-tan came about from some mix of black magic and science, and it probably wasn't pretty, but it was quick so there's that at least.
  • But the Unix-tans and Linux-tans are also pretty much confirmed as reproducing asexually / growing their children from their source code, which is how we ended up with so many of them running around.
  • The olde IBM clan was probably stupid and tradition-bound enough to attempt to make more -tans the old fashioned way. Eheheheh.
  • The DEC faction employed tons and tons of SCIENCE! and possessed techniques for growing -tans from two female parents, as evidenced by PDP-12-tan.
  • Also I have a gross headcanon involving Whirlwind's kids being grown from her tissue, by which I mean various body parts, which would explain why she lost so damned many of them in the years before her death. : /
  • Let's not forget SCOPE-tan, who was stitched together from other, dead, CDC-tans. I think.

NejinOniwa

But essentially that stuff is what you're doing when you're taking parts of one tan's code and incorporating it into another. Results vary depending on the method, of course; but even so you're taking intrinsic parts of one -tan's soul and making it part of a new -tan. Homunculus anyone?

Chocofreak13

chimera-tans. got it.

though tbh, if we're talking about mechanical computers vs software ones, i'm down for the puppet/living doll idea. when you think about it, computers existing outside of a virtual plane sounds almost like a shell sans a soul. the OS "soul" is what makes the hardware "body" function. so for a solely mechanical computer like HT-tan to work, she either operates under the same idea as Pinocchio, or has some external source to make her function (like a wind-up key, OS imbuing magic into her, etc etc).

that's just my two cents though, you do what you like for your stories. :3
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

If hardware-tans rely on OS-tans, then how do software-tans work?

Chocofreak13

we had worked this out in the theory thread years ago, the basic idea was that software was basically "employed" by OS-tans. in a virtual space, the software -tans exist, but have no purpose other than to serve the OSes. there was a whole class hierarchy worked out and everything, but I think we got distracted and stopped focusing on it.

if you want to revive the topic in theories, I am totally game. :3
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Anyone know if there is a (preferably widely accepted) iOS or Android-tan?