Current situation about the OS-tans

Started by H0RIZ0N, April 21, 2005, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H0RIZ0N

The OS-tan heat has gon kinda dull recently compared to last year....(atleast i feel it)
is there any solution to boost it up again?
http://www.netvigamer.net/sign/logo.png\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' />

FabianN

Yea, I know what you mean... it is really slowing down...

Really, as for solutions go, I don't have much...

But maybe some of the projects I am going to be working on may help...

Koshi

Well, I'm comparitively new to the OS-tan phenomenon, since I just discovered them in January, and recently re-applied myself to the dedication of the girls.

So I wouldn't be one to be able to spot a trend like that, but if you ask me this site is a nice step towards appreciation and future adoration of the OS-tans.

((I though I had more to say on the subject, I suppose not, for the moment o__o))

FabianN

hehe, thx.

And yea, that was the main reason I made this.
I mean you search of OS-tan on google, and the only relevent result is the wiki entry, and then the sites that they all had were either slowly falling apart, or a image board where the old images are dumped. And then, thats only images, and theres more then just that.

So, I made this in the hopes to collect anything and everything related to the OS-tans, so that it will become the "One-stop shop" :lol:  

BloodySweet

I think we must write OS-tan story and image by us to recover them back to the sky!!(Just imagination...Don't think serious.)

OH!! Sorry...I'm a new OS-tan fan too.Nice to meet you :D
COMPOUND

E_xile

elo...i myself dun have much clue wat the problem is.. unpopulated or something?

Noah_The_Guy

I think a lot of people are looking at the OS-Tans and thinking it's some sort of comic series, and get dissapointed when they find out that it's really not =/
I don't like you and I don't care.

ShinraKenshin

:P Its a good thing they made the os's animated so that we can see serious things can be turned into something really interesting. If you catch my drift

( Note not refering in a hentai way )  

L33t 4g3nt

well...i think now, the only people who are providing even more variations to the OS-tans are fans - fan drawings and stuff - and still you can't count on fans stay on one topic or trend (ex. OS-tans) and keep churning out artwork...unlike regular artists (or possibly the creators) who are (or should be) more dedicated on their subject matter. but the problem is now, the artists are moving on, and we are left with fan artists that randomly and spontaneously create fanart every so often...

(hope i made sense...)

FabianN

Koshi

*waves* Hey BloodySweet xD *"new OS-tan fan" high five*

Yeeea, I'd love to write OS-tan fanfics! And/or do some OS-tan Role Playing... if anyone is interested in that, that is. If there's enough people here who'd be interested in OS-tan RP's, a new forum area for it should be made.

QuoteIts a good thing they made the os's animated so that we can see serious things can be turned into something really interesting. If you catch my drift

I've been thinking that it's about time for some more flash vids too xP They're easy enough to make, in theory, and there's now tons more OS-tan images to use, right? Personally, I want to see some of the rare-er OS-tan's featured.

QuoteI think a lot of people are looking at the OS-Tans and thinking it's some sort of comic series, and get dissapointed when they find out that it's really not =/ 

That was sort of an appeal to me, that OS-tan's are so totally fan-made, this whole interenet culture thing ^^ I don't think OS-tan would have caught my eye as dramatically if they were just another manga or anime.

And yea, L33t 4g3nt's comment does make sense too...

Ah, I have one more stupid idea xP At one point I was into Fan Listing, a bit... I think OS-tan Fan Listings would be pretty cool. One for "OS-tan"s in general, and perhaps some for the better known characters... I might get into maintaining a Fanlisting site myself, if I wasn't so flaky on my projects.

It'd probably get listed at http://www.animefanlistings.org/ instead of http://www.thefanlistings.org

FabianN

hmm... yea, an OS-tan RP section might be fun. I'm not much of a forum RPer, but yea, thats something I'll add sometime today/next day

L33t 4g3nt

((heh...i was half occupied with HW when i made that comment so my grammar and stuff might have been off...))

kenohki

I think I've been a fan of the OS-tan for about two years; I remember finding out about them on Usenet.

I agree that the OS-tan phenomenon has been cooling down for a good while, especially at their birthplace, Futaba Channel, which still has OS-tan art posted at /img/ and on the oekaki boards time-to-time, particularly recently when a game was held challenging artists to draw several OS-tan the best they could without referencing other material. I still see new art coming out by both Western fans and on the Nijura imageboard, the latter of which often reposted on the English Wakachan. I still see some older comic series continuing and new comics released right now, on the English Trouble Windows at Otakubell and on Wakachan. (There are some still awaiting an accurate translation.)

I think the personality of the characters, for instance Windows 95 as a once formidable (even evil) warrior and a cocky OS with power over her "master," have been developed a little with these comics. I have also seen a shift in focus over to a sort of "following" of this meme by cosplayers; some artwork has been done recently showcasing the OS-tan being "out-done" by cosplayers. (A recent picture of a girl in an Inu-T costume comes to mind.) The Macintosh *-tan have also been receiving a bit more attention lately because of the recent Intel deal. I would also love to see lesser-known *-tan featured in comics. I think the OS-tan could even carry weight in an computer-related editorial cartoon.

Really, the OS-tan trend is just an example of an imageboard "meme" that has become so popular that it continues to this day. Being something not to take seriously, it is acceptable--even encouraged--to make your own interpretation or to totally transform the character's original design (Me-tan being practically a symbol of this, despite the original being a copyrighted creation). Really, you might even say that even the MS OS-tan are "open-source." Like Koshi said, the OS-tan are essentially fan creations in themselves. Also, you have other *-tan such as Firefox-ko, who represents a browser, and Habanero-tan, who represents habanero peppers, so the OS-tan trend has even expanded to include things that are not operating systems at all. Now that Westerners have adopted the trend, I have seen some very nice work being produced time-to-time by new fans.

In short, the OS-tan trend is far from dying; it's just slowing down and smelling the roses.

L33t 4g3nt

I hope so...It better speed up soon.