Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 11:38:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Penti-chan

I could, yes, but given that I intend to move out in the next few months, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth my time :\

Chocofreak13

we don't know when that's going to be anymore. if they're hiring, and you think you can handle it, maybe consider it. :\

Penti-chan

It also pays exactly the same as Pizza Hut, so it really wouldn't make that much difference on my income :\

Chocofreak13

true. but i don't want you to get your hopes overhyped in terms of moving plans. you've already waited so long, that getting overeager might make the current wait feel longer. i know it certainly feels longer here. >>;

Chocofreak13

Trump and Clinton agree that the internet is dangerous and that we need to "close it up a bit" (Trump's words). they've both said that people are going to complain about freedom of speech and that they really don't care ("We've got a lot of foolish people," Trump's words again).

should OSC go over to Tor or something...?

Penti-chan

Got to love how people are quick to want to fuck up everything, all in the name of preventing terrorism, or worse, digital piracy >>;
(I mean, how many bills have been submitted over the past 5 years to try and change the internet in the name of stopping piracy?)

Pitkin

Our radical website won't be closed off by any Trumpette slash Clintonite administration. Nuh-uh.

Chocofreak13

the funniest part of the situation was that Trump was saying "We need to talk to Bill Gates" and "Get him to Close it up a Bit."

it was mostly just sad, but at least that made me laugh. ;v;

Penti-chan

At least, that makes a tiny bit more sense than "Al Gore invented da interwebs", which some people seem to honestly believe :\
(The internet, or rather, ARPANET, was created when Al Gore was likely watching season 1 of Sesame Street #Bella)

Chocofreak13

i guess? Gates doesn't really have any pull anymore, and even when he did, it was only with his own company, not with the government or any ISPs. :\

Penti-chan

Well, it's someone actually involved with technology, and not just some random politician; it'd be like me saying "Bob Dole invented Unix" :\

Goujer

You know what's really rustlin my jimmies and itchin my pitchin. This stuff going on at Yale, any opinions on it? I personally thought at the proffesor was right, and the girl over reacted. Again just looking for more view points.

Bella

Quote from: Legojer on December 11, 2015, 10:02:51 am
You know what's really rustlin my jimmies and itchin my pitchin. This stuff going on at Yale, any opinions on it? I personally thought at the proffesor was right, and the girl over reacted. Again just looking for more view points.

I don't have anything insightful to add, just that I agree completely.

It's scary that people can lose their jobs for having unpopular opinions, honestly.

Chocofreak13

it'd help if you posted a link or provided some context...

from what i can gather off google, the woman's an attention-seeking bitch who only did what she did to draw attention to herself and cast a negative light on the two professors involved.

the only thing they should have allowed/disallowed would be stuff that violates the school's/parent school's dress code. it IS a college. but honestly, the two people being fired are scapegoats imo. :\

@Pent: in a way, that actually makes it worse, since he's a politician that's so out of touch that he likely just said the first tech-associated name that came to mind. he dodged a bullet, actually, since if that's true, he could have said Steve Jobs. :\