Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I could, yes, but given that I intend to move out in the next few months, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth my time :\

Chocofreak13

we don't know when that's going to be anymore. if they're hiring, and you think you can handle it, maybe consider it. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It also pays exactly the same as Pizza Hut, so it really wouldn't make that much difference on my income :\

Chocofreak13

true. but i don't want you to get your hopes overhyped in terms of moving plans. you've already waited so long, that getting overeager might make the current wait feel longer. i know it certainly feels longer here. >>;
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

Trump and Clinton agree that the internet is dangerous and that we need to "close it up a bit" (Trump's words). they've both said that people are going to complain about freedom of speech and that they really don't care ("We've got a lot of foolish people," Trump's words again).

should OSC go over to Tor or something...?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Got to love how people are quick to want to fuck up everything, all in the name of preventing terrorism, or worse, digital piracy >>;
(I mean, how many bills have been submitted over the past 5 years to try and change the internet in the name of stopping piracy?)

Pitkin

Our radical website won't be closed off by any Trumpette slash Clintonite administration. Nuh-uh.

Chocofreak13

the funniest part of the situation was that Trump was saying "We need to talk to Bill Gates" and "Get him to Close it up a Bit."

it was mostly just sad, but at least that made me laugh. ;v;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

At least, that makes a tiny bit more sense than "Al Gore invented da interwebs", which some people seem to honestly believe :\
(The internet, or rather, ARPANET, was created when Al Gore was likely watching season 1 of Sesame Street #Bella)

Chocofreak13

i guess? Gates doesn't really have any pull anymore, and even when he did, it was only with his own company, not with the government or any ISPs. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, it's someone actually involved with technology, and not just some random politician; it'd be like me saying "Bob Dole invented Unix" :\

Goujer (she/her)

You know what's really rustlin my jimmies and itchin my pitchin. This stuff going on at Yale, any opinions on it? I personally thought at the proffesor was right, and the girl over reacted. Again just looking for more view points.

Bella

Quote from: Legojer on December 11, 2015, 09:02:51 AM
You know what's really rustlin my jimmies and itchin my pitchin. This stuff going on at Yale, any opinions on it? I personally thought at the proffesor was right, and the girl over reacted. Again just looking for more view points.

I don't have anything insightful to add, just that I agree completely.

It's scary that people can lose their jobs for having unpopular opinions, honestly.

Chocofreak13

it'd help if you posted a link or provided some context...

from what i can gather off google, the woman's an attention-seeking bitch who only did what she did to draw attention to herself and cast a negative light on the two professors involved.

the only thing they should have allowed/disallowed would be stuff that violates the school's/parent school's dress code. it IS a college. but honestly, the two people being fired are scapegoats imo. :\

@Pent: in a way, that actually makes it worse, since he's a politician that's so out of touch that he likely just said the first tech-associated name that came to mind. he dodged a bullet, actually, since if that's true, he could have said Steve Jobs. :\
click to make it bigger