Vintage OSes

Started by DustiiWolf, November 08, 2012, 12:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

Hey! What kind of "Vintage" OSes do you guys use? Do you like them? what sort of applications do you have? Software recommendations?

I'm currently using Mac OS9 in Sheepshaver and Windows 3.11 for Pen Computing in Virtual Box.
I'm also downloading Windows 2k for Virtual Box.

What about you guys?

(Note: i renamed my mac "hd" to Sonata after that screenshot)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

Very nice setup so far, especially Windows 2000. I still use 2k to this day as a compatibility layer for 7 (So I can still use my 15+ year old photo editing software. I love Paint Shop Pro 4)

As for OSes, some suggestions I can think of:
- Windows 95 (Could also be swapped for 98 or ME)
- OS/2 Warp 4 (It can be tough finding this, though)

DustiiWolf

Bella

Ehehehehehe, this is quite the dangerous thread ... I love learning about vintage/obscure OSes and actually trying them out is the natural extension of that interest. As such, I've developed quite the menagerie of operating systems. ^____^;

Just going from memory (since I've surely forgotten some), the OSes I have digital or physical copies of:
-Compatible Timesharing System (CTSS)
-Darthmouth Timesharing System (DTSS)
-TOPS-10
-OS/8 and ETOS (and FOCAL if you count that as an operating environment)
-P/OS (an RSX-11/M derivative)
-Unix V5, 6 and 7
-DOS 6
-Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.11, 95, NT 4, 98 and 98SE
-BeOS
-OS/2 2.0(?), Warp 4 and 4.5
-Mac System 4.2, 7.5 and 8
-PERQ Operating System
-Xenix
And I have a bunch of source code and/or install media for other OSes, like Multics (source code) and MVS (though I can't figure out how to install it in Hercules)

Via terminal emulator, I've used Tenex, RSTS/E and PRIMOS

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Bella on November 08, 2012, 10:52:18 AM
Ehehehehehe, this is quite the dangerous thread ... I love learning about vintage/obscure OSes and actually trying them out is the natural extension of that interest. As such, I've developed quite the menagerie of operating systems. ^____^;

Just going from memory (since I've surely forgotten some), the OSes I have digital or physical copies of:
-Compatible Timesharing System (CTSS)
-Darthmouth Timesharing System (DTSS)
-TOPS-10
-OS/8 and ETOS (and FOCAL if you count that as an operating environment)
-P/OS (an RSX-11/M derivative)
-Unix V5, 6 and 7
-DOS 6
-Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.11, 95, NT 4, 98 and 98SE
-BeOS
-OS/2 2.0(?), Warp 4 and 4.5
-Mac System 4.2, 7.5 and 8
-PERQ Operating System
-Xenix
And I have a bunch of source code and/or install media for other OSes, like Multics (source code) and MVS (though I can't figure out how to install it in Hercules)

Via terminal emulator, I've used Tenex, RSTS/E and PRIMOS

wow.

and i know you like vintage computers, so i guess that means vintage OSes too.
(i read most of your "adventures/misfortunes in computer collecting" thing in another topic on vintage computers (centered around hardware, thus why i made this topic. for software)

stewartsage

Bells has gotten deep into a lot of vintage OSs.  The only ones I ever've really successfully used are Disk Monitor System-8, Cassette Program System-8, Time-Sharing System-8, and Operating System-8 on my PDP-8 emulators.

DustiiWolf

cool. (side note: my win2k download keeps failing :c)

Paul

Hmm, I'm a little on the UNIX side here :)

- HP-UX on the C8000
- IRIX on the SGI Fuel / O2 / Octane
- AIX on the IBM p275 and p285
- OpenVMS on the HP rx4640 and the DEC AlphaServer 1000A RM
- Arch Linux on my primary notebook

I definitely recommend getting an old SGI to play around with IRIX if you get the chance. It's fast even on dated hardware, has a desktop you can't really find in any other Unix and the computers look awesome too! Applications like Maya, Softimage or Matador are fun to play around with and there's a loyal SGI fanbase on the net too :D

DustiiWolf

UPDATE:
I now have 4 vintage oses:
Sonata (Mac OS9)
95-tan (Win95)
2k-tan (Win2000)
3.1-tan (Windows 3.1 For Workgroups)

And on 95 &  2k i have Opera (10 on 2k, 8 on 95)
and am getting IE for 3.1

alfonso_rd_30

how do you have '95? VBoxed?

My only "Vintage" OS would be Saseko in My Old Baby and VBoxed on my Baby

DustiiWolf

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 20, 2013, 09:31:41 PM
how do you have '95? VBoxed?

My only "Vintage" OS would be Saseko in My Old Baby and VBoxed on my Baby
Install msdos with disk support 6.0 in vbox, mount 95 installer disc image, install.

alfonso_rd_30

didn't work... protection error
Installing 2K
going to dl 98SE

DustiiWolf

Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 21, 2013, 01:41:40 AM
Installing 2K
going to dl 98SE
pro...tection.. error? idk why that happened (i do know only some versions of 95 would install)
...OH WAIT! XD Dont use the disc image. get the floppy images. and make sure its the newest version of 95.
the oldest version doesnt support very much and is faulty in virtual box.
Also, make sure to have the license key handy. Youll need it to install it. i dont know if you own a copy of 95 or not but its necessary
to have the key. (You can find keys online on forums and blogs. I wont link any just in case its wrong, but a google search is handy)

Chocofreak13

*raises hand*

until windows XP, you could enter a series of random numbers/letters for the product key and it would accept it. it was more there for show, i guess.

*sneaks out*
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: DustiiWolf on January 21, 2013, 02:52:13 AM
Quote from: alfonso_rd_30 on January 21, 2013, 01:41:40 AM
Installing 2K
going to dl 98SE
pro...tection.. error? idk why that happened (i do know only some versions of 95 would install)
...OH WAIT! XD Dont use the disc image. get the floppy images. and make sure its the newest version of 95.
the oldest version doesnt support very much and is faulty in virtual box.
Also, make sure to have the license key handy. Youll need it to install it. i dont know if you own a copy of 95 or not but its necessary
to have the key. (You can find keys online on forums and blogs. I wont link any just in case its wrong, but a google search is handy)

Thanks... I'll see into it laterz