Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Slightly off topic, but James Cameron's Avatar sucked. I went to see it in theaters in 3D, and all I can remember was that it was pretty and that the main villain was a badass (He was just as bad as Liquid Snake in Metal Gear Solid; just when you think he's finally dead, he gets right back up and continues fighting). As for The Last Airbender, I already shared my thoughts on it earlier.

Back on topic, has anybody else ever seen The Super Mario Bros. Super Show? Like a lot of DIC's video game-related productions, it's a guilty pleasure of mine :3

Chocofreak13

i found a DVD for it in my brother's jeep once. but there was no disc. :\

@nej: so you haven't seen it either? dude, the movie can't compare to the series.
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 24, 2012, 08:40:30 AM
Slightly off topic, but James Cameron's Avatar sucked. I went to see it in theaters in 3D, and all I can remember was that it was pretty and that the main villain was a badass (He was just as bad as Liquid Snake in Metal Gear Solid; just when you think he's finally dead, he gets right back up and continues fighting).

Avatar is good because is a straight linear movie of western sci-fi... There is the cavalry (air cavalry) closed in a fort (the mine) and outside there are blue indians 9 feet of height... and the villains are us white humans in the fort...
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

What you think of co-operation of western and far-east anine makers?

There are projects that I like very much, as Sherlock Hound by Hayao Miyazaki and Marco Pagot, and Oban Star Racers by Jetix, France 3 and  Bandai...

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

ooo, those look interesting. :0
though wouldn't they fall under anime due to the style? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I think I remember seeing ads for Oban Star Racers, when it still came on Toon Disney, but I never watched it. I think it always came on at a time I had something else on :\

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Why does everyone feel compelled to give Sherlock Holmes a leading lady?

NejinOniwa

Because otherwise he would understand everything in the movie, duh.

He needs someone to miff him out. His genius is not compatible with the female psyche.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: stewartsage on August 05, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
Why does everyone feel compelled to give Sherlock Holmes a leading lady?

Actually she pretends to be the landlady, Mrs. Hudson.

But in the anime she is the most quiet, intelligent and human character. So Miyazaki wanted to make her the only real human in a world of human dogs but Marco Pagot adviced him that was inappropriate for  the european public...

As being a widow and the only woman of which Sherlock Hound trusts in, it seems evident judging from certain episodes that there is something tender between the two... :)
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 05, 2012, 01:32:24 PM
ooo, those look interesting. :0
though wouldn't they fall under anime due to the style? :\

Well... That's a matter of serious discussion about genres and categories of anime...
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Chocofreak13

@raffaele: i really don't think so, since it was made by a japanese man, and is done in anime style. if you're basing it for "regular cartoon" status based solely on content, well, i could cite several examples to counter-argue. :\

@stew: because if they didn't, it'd be bashed for being sexist, even if they're sticking to the original story?
and as it is, they're taking quite a bit of artistic license making them dogs. dropping in a chick to make the characters a bit richer isn't the worst thing in the world. :\
@nej: this is true of most men, lol. it's why they're so easy to confuse. :3

guys, i'm curious, is a cartoon considered anime if it's not from japan, but still in the style? tbh i think most asian cartoons might fall within the umbrella term's range. :\

also, was at the market earlier, saw a couple Sonic The Hedgehog DVDs and The Super Mario Bros. Show DVDs. xD
(they're a little pricey since they're $5 each, but still, cool. xD )
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 06, 2012, 02:35:27 PM
@raffaele: i really don't think so, since it was made by a japanese man, and is done in anime style. if you're basing it for "regular cartoon" status based solely on content, well, i could cite several examples to counter-argue. :\

The real question is: Did Miyazaki had had created such a cartoonime (cartoon/anime) if Pagot had not contacted and hired Studio Ghibli to realize the animations?

Did Bandai had had created Oban Star Racers if not contacted and hired by Jetix and France3?

guys, i'm curious, is a cartoon considered anime if it's not from japan, but still in the style? tbh i think most asian cartoons might fall within the umbrella term's range. :\

Dunno... So for example you consider Avatar the last airbender as a cartoon or as an anime??? It  was created by american artists. The design is american but the animation was made in Korea ( China?)
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

Bella

I consider anime to be Japanese-produced animation, regardless of what the visual style is.

I'd consider any kind of Western-produced animation a cartoon, even if the visual style is animesque.

IDK how to classify other East-Asian forms of animation. I'd probably just classify them by their nation of origin - Korean animation, Chinese animation, etc.