Let's talk about cartoons (USA, Europe, Corea, etc. - Not japananime)

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 09, 2012, 04:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

Whoops. Speaking of Hanna & Barbera, did I said I love also "Cow and Chicken"?

And I saw also a couple of episodes of a canadian very funny and very disturbing cartoon: "Ren & Stimpy".
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

@raffaele: ren & stimpy was the only TV i watched when i was in europe. xD
it was a good series. -w-

cow and chicken was an awesome show as well. i could never get into its counterpart, I.M. Weasel, but i spent many a day laughing at the antics of that round-butted devil guy and their favourite food of Pork Butts and Taters. xD

@stew: agreed about ATHF. i stopped watching it about 2 years ago, when they stopped playing the older episodes. >>;

@pent: i LOVED Samurai Jack. your sister didn't know what she was missing; SJ was one of those rare cartoons that manages to surpass the barrier and become great art. the backgrounds, the action scenes, the writing, it was all genius and beautiful. while i can only remember one episode clearly, i have fond memories of watching it (and my sister loved it too, lol). i should find a torrent of it.....
(also, the writing reminds me a bit of casshern sins, lol. xD)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I should look into torrenting it, as well. I'd love to actually see more of it

As for Ren & Stimpy, I never watched it, so I can't comment. Cow & Chicken on the other hand, I did occasionally watch; I enjoyed it, but never really went out of my way for it.

While on the subject of Cartoon Network shows, who else watched Powerpuff Girls? I like that show, but haven't seen it in years :3
Mom wasn't exactly thrilled by the fact I liked a "girly" show, but who cares what she thinks?

Chocofreak13

didn't i mention that i liked powerpuff girls on the first page? it was basically my favourite US cartoon when i was younger, and i still love it. got several PPG plushies, books, games, a poster, and the movie. ^^

as for it being a "girly" show, well, i've seen several that are much worse. she should be thankful you didn't like the previous incarnations of MLP, or Winx Club, or Totally Spies (though i would have supported you liking that show, too, it's really fuckin' cool. >w< )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True, although the series you named off were ones my sister liked that I occasionally watched too :3

...except Winx Club. Although my sister liked it, words cannot describe how much I despise that show >_<;;
W.I.T.C.H. was similar in concept, but far more bearable to watch when my sister hijacked the TV; it didn't make me want to slice our satellite dish in half with a kantana at the mere thought of the theme song.

Speaking of shows one sibling hates but the other likes, one that was like that for me was the short-lived Scooby Doo series, "A Pup Named Scooby Doo". My sister felt it was a stupid series made to cash in on the popularity of shows like The Flintstones Kids, but come on; it was pretty much an affectionate parody of classic Scooby Doo. I mean, one of the reoccurring characters was a boy named Red Herring; who always ended up being a suspect. How can you not love it? *w*

Chocofreak13

oh god, A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. xD that show made me crack up whenever i saw it, and i actually liked it better than the original series (sorry for the blasphemy). the "bucket o food" concept was one that never ceased to amuse me, and the special flavours of Scooby Snacks was another one that i loved. xD good show overall. wish they'd start playing it again. >>;
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: PentiumMMX on July 16, 2012, 09:08:59 PM
...except Winx Club. Although my sister liked it, words cannot describe how much I despise that show >_<;;
W.I.T.C.H. was similar in concept, but far more bearable to watch when my sister hijacked the TV; it didn't make me want to slice our satellite dish in half with a kantana at the mere thought of the theme song.

Winx is just WITCH mixed with Harry Potter in high heels and loving shopping.

WITCH is  story of five girls that receive magic powers and must live everyday life (going to school, confronting their teenage life with friends and anyday reality, making sports and find a job to catch extra money for the expenses, trying to find true love, etc.). The magic girls should live their lives and fighting with various enemies trying to not destroy the equilibrium of magic, to not exceed or abuse their newly acquired powers and trying not to loose control of their normal life.

But the anime is very poor. It just talk of one of their stories (the fight with princess Elyon versus her brother prince Phobos and his acolyte/servant Cedric for the control of Meridian). You should read the comics to find the whole essence of WITCH.

Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Nichi

@Raffaele: I'll keep that in mind :3

@Kari: I with they'd play it again, as well. I loved that show

Has anybody here ever seen the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon? I always wanted to see it, because it looked like Zelda (I was obsessed with the Legend of Zelda games back then), but never could catch it when it still came on Fox Kids

Chocofreak13

the D&D cartoon was a subject of curiosity for me, but i didn't hear about it till i was in my late teens. and even then, i never heard much about it. it was never played on tv when i was alive, so it didn't capture the same 80's devotion that say, Jem did. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It was on Fox Kids for a brief while circa '99 (Around the time Digimon premiered), although it always came on at the same time as Recess, so I never got to see it

Speaking of, I loved Recess. Good series :3

Chocofreak13

ahhh, that's likely why i never saw it. i followed Recess with a cult-like devotion. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It was a good series. My dad enjoyed it, too; often watching it with me while he was getting ready for work :3

You know, another Disney cartoon of that era I liked, that was sadly forgotten, was Nightmare Ned. It ran for 12 episodes before it was unfortunately cancelled, but I loved it; the show honestly felt like a prototype of Invader Zim, with it's rather dark sense of humor. There was also apparently a game for PC, but I've never played it; only knowing of the TV series.

Chocofreak13

that sounds interesting, can you find a clip or something?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Here's the intro. There are parts of some episodes of the series floating around on YouTube now, if you dig around for a bit, but from what I can tell, no full episodes have surfaced (Which is better than last time I looked; back then, all I could find was footage of the game)

Chocofreak13

looks cool. i feel bad for ned, though, since his screams sound so sad. ;^;
and he must have such insomnia.
click to make it bigger