First Megaupload, then THE WORLD WIDE WEB.

Started by Dr. Kraus, January 22, 2012, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

So we all know that Megaupload has been shut down by the feds, now Fileserve and Filesonic have shut down their sharing option.

Mediafire is next on the feds list after they finish fileserve and filesonic off once and for all.

This is becoming a huge problem with the government getting its hands in the business of the people, fucking big brother is going to be watching over us soon enough just like in China, North Korea, and Iran.

The Internet might not be a safe haven for freedom of expression, freedom of speech, and freedom in general. We might have brought SOPA to a halt but this is just the calm before the storm, the enemy is picking us apart piece by piece.

George Orwell should have titled "1984" as "2012" because what he was afraid of is happening now, slowly.

Time to crack out the ol' XDCC bots again, if we want open downloads and uploads we will have to do it old school!

This has been a public service announcement by Kraus.

Bella

I am so not looking forward to having to torrent every freaking thing. >______<;

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on January 22, 2012, 05:34:51 PM
I am so not looking forward to having to torrent every freaking thing. >______<;

XDCC and IRC my friend, the 90's have left us something useful for these dark times...

Bella

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on January 22, 2012, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: Bella on January 22, 2012, 05:34:51 PM

XDCC and IRC my friend, the 90's have left us something useful for these dark times...

I have no idea how to use either.... any tutorials? : /

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on January 22, 2012, 05:41:42 PM
I have no idea how to use either.... any tutorials? : /

Well, IRC's are pretty simple to understand.

Just for you and anyone else who needs a tutorial that makes sense, I'll trow together a quick video tutorial on how to use IRC's for downloading.

XDCC is a little out of my league so I'll save that for another day, for now I'll just do one for IRC's and such.

Give me at the most 1 hour to do this.

NejinOniwa

Well, I'm fairly certain new viable sharehosters will pop up - though it might take time, and not have quite the same level of reliability.

However, the main problem with torrents is the seeding factor. People share way too little, and moreover, people generally only have lines optimized for DOWNload, meaning that the spread is a lot slower as soon as you run into someone on some sort of DSL.

I might have to start using XDCC soon as well, just to stay able.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

I definitely understand the concern here, as the FBI certainly put on quite a vulgar display of power this past week if we've ever seen one.

What has become clear in the midst of the fallout, however, is that there were indeed some shady dealings going on with MU.  That doesn't justify the Feds drastic overreach and militant hammer-swinging, but it also doesn't mean that Anon's aggressive retaliation is helping either.  The problem now is Anon's counterattack may only serve to bolster the pro-SOPA, pro-PIPA, and pro-ill-informed-internet-policy-making that's been going on here.  There's now a clear example for politicians like Lamar Smith to point their fingers and say "there, right there, that's all they want - they oppose this bill because they want to steal copyrighted material", and it's going to be a much harder argument to shoot down because of the behavior of Anonymous.

Right now, the statement being made by the attacks in the wake of the MU shutdown shout "give us back our free music and movies.  WE WANT OUR FREE WAREZ" when instead the statement should be "unwarranted search and seizure are against the law" or "a posteriori apprehensions are a violation of human rights".  The problem is that the behavior of Anonymous seems very juvenile, especially considering their willingness to enlist the aid of unknowing twitter users and other web denizens.  The SOPA blackout this past Wednesday was very effective in preventing a very dangerous bill from being passed, but it's obvious this internet "war" is far from over.  There has to be a better way of dealing with these legal transgressions than attempting to make the internet a warzone which may eventually lead to a cyber police state.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

When the system is broken, and you don't have enough money, tools or power to fix it, nor are strong enough to beat up the two big bodyguards at its shoulder - what do you do?

You start a wildfire in the forest around it to distract the firefighters, then burn down the house.

Looks like we're due for a good 'ol storm of chaos...

IanDanKilmaster

Yep, because you know I don't have insurance and I love sleeping on a bed of ashes.

NejinOniwa

Bah. The Game put too much system into place, we need some chaos to shake it off. Too much damn chains in this room.

IanDanKilmaster

Yeah, let's go ahead and scatter a few landmines around - that welcome mat was always so gaudy anyway.

Dr. Kraus

Why is the upload speeds for youtube such shit....

Screw it, its going on my skydrive. I can still share it like that!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=997f4c6d8db674af&resid=997F4C6D8DB674AF!181&parid=997F4C6D8DB674AF!107&authkey=!AD0lHB0WQkN9NYU

Enjoy using IRC to download, the video isn't that well done and my voice cracks a few times for no reason at all.

Red-Machine

Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on January 22, 2012, 05:59:58 PMThe SOPA blackout this past Wednesday was very effective in preventing a very dangerous bill from being passed

Why does everyone seem to think it was themselves who stopped SOPA?  Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the decision to stop it came BEFORE the blackout and had nothing to do with the blackout.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 23, 2012, 03:02:54 AM
Quote from: IanDanKilmaster on January 22, 2012, 05:59:58 PMThe SOPA blackout this past Wednesday was very effective in preventing a very dangerous bill from being passed

Why does everyone seem to think it was themselves who stopped SOPA?  Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the decision to stop it came BEFORE the blackout and had nothing to do with the blackout.

Does news hit a time warp before it gets to the U.K.?  I ask because the decision to postpone the redrafting of the bill came on the 20th, two days AFTER the protest.  Not to mention that many of the original supporters of PIPA also withdrew their support of that bill on the day of the protest.

Red-Machine

I heard that they were postponing it the day BEFORE the blackout.  I even posted in the midst of the blackout that it had been decided.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!