Main Menu

Relationships

Started by SleepyD, March 29, 2011, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

So I finally mentioned to my dad that there's a possibility that I'll end up living with Stew at some point..

Hilarity Butthurt ensued.

Nichi

Seems kind of stupid to me that he'd be like that. I mean, isn't your brother living with his girlfriend, or am I mistaken? :\

If I was right, I guess it boils down to "firstborn can do whatever they want". As an example, my sister got away with so much as a kid, that if I even tried the exact same thing, I'd face automatic punishment. At a young age, my patents insisted demanded I address everybody as "sir" or "ma'am" and would often punish me for not addressing them as that; as addressing them as "mom" and "dad" was somehow disrespectful. Meanwhile, my sister merely addressed them as mom and dad; they did not punish her for not addressing them as "sir" or "ma'am", and whenever I'd point out they didn't force her to do the same, they refused to give me an answer as to why that was >_<;

Bella

It has to do with the fact that living with Stew would probably entail moving 800+ miles away to a entirely foreign state, if Stew lived up here I don't think he'd give two shits about me living with him.

Actually, to give it proper context, this is how the conversation went:
Dad: Hey, wouldn't it be funny if [he] moved up here and ended up helping me out with my work?! /semijoking
Me: Actually, I think it's more likely that I'll end up moving to West Virginia and you'll end up with a Tiffany lamp with a tape recording of me attached to it. /serious
Dad: UGH AFTER I BUILT A HOUSE FOR YOU AND WORKED TO GIVE YOU THE LIFE YOU WANT HERE?!. /mopes for rest of lunch

Actually I do think dad's argument is air-tight given the available data: I eat, sleep and breathe New England, love my home and would be perfectly content spending the rest of my life here.... hell, I've even said that if I knew that some disaster was going to destroy my homeland, I'd rather stay and die with it than live in a world where it doesn't exist. He just doesn't know that being with Stew would be able to motivate me to leave, even if avoiding death wouldn't.

@Pent: That's really weird that they made you, and only you, call them "sir" and "ma'am", I've never heard of parents wanting their children to call them anything besides mom/dad before. o_____o

Nichi

Ah. But, didn't Stew say something about moving to Maine for a job? :\

Also, on the whole thing with my parents forcing me to do that, it never made sense to me. Like, how it also often felt like it was ok for my sister to get pissed off at something, but if I get even the slightest bit irritated with something, I'd be yelled at, or in extreme cases, punished on the spot. Again, no answer as to why that is

NejinOniwa

Fathers like their daughters better than their sons

Trustorybro

It's genetic or something.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

@Pent: Technically he could end up anywhere, but he ultimately needs to go wherever he can get a job.

@Nej: It's probably deep-seated evolutionary fear of male children usurping them. It's common enough among animals, wouldn't be surprised if humans had some trace of it left in their psyches....

Nichi

@Nej: It's actually more that, for the longest time, it felt like both parents liked my sister more; since she had far more freedoms than I did. For example, she could get away with having her hair cut into a boyish style, as well as wearing clothing from the boys department exclusively, and it was merely written off as her "tomboy phase", yet I wasn't allowed to wear a dress because "boys aren't supposed to wear dresses". Yay, double standard >_>;

@Bella: That seems plausible

Chocofreak13

@pent: i wouldn't consider the tomboy thing a double standard, since that's fairly prevalent in this country except among the most liberal of parents. why do you think the parents with the son who wore fairy princess outfits and played with barbies got on opera? :\
as for sir/ma'am, well, i'm a firm believer that your parents are just weird.

@bella: if and when you and stew start living together, you'll have to consider a number of factors, a major one being proximity to family. another major factor is proximity to a work environment. given that stew wanted to be a park ranger (am i still right on that?), he might have an easier time adjusting if he were to move here, so that you could continue to work with your father and his business. :\

@nej: untrue. i sincerly doubt that my dad really likes either of us. i think he wanted a son, but the closest thing he got was me. :\
if you want more evidence, or want to debate this further, i could ressurect that time magazine article on  the subject of parent-child favouritism.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 12, 2012, 08:34:27 PM

@bella: if and when you and stew start living together, you'll have to consider a number of factors, a major one being proximity to family. another major factor is proximity to a work environment. given that stew wanted to be a park ranger (am i still right on that?), he might have an easier time adjusting if he were to move here, so that you could continue to work with your father and his business. :\

Except there's only one post in my area, and he might not get that, and he has certain places that he wants to work, and since he's the one with the years of training in a certain field and a steady job and I'm the unemployed one, I basically have to go wherever he wants to if I want to be with him.

Chocofreak13

as i said, there are multiple factors to deal with for both of you. if you stay here, you basically have the guarentee of steady employment with your father. but if you go, stew has a greater chance of finding a job. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Bella: The best advice I can offer is follow your heart :3

Chocofreak13

as [cute, sweet, corny, cliche] as that is, which video game did you quote that from? xD
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I've heard it so many times from so many sources, that I honestly don't remember LOL

Chocofreak13

sage advice, if a tad cliche. xD
click to make it bigger