Main Menu

Relationships

Started by SleepyD, March 29, 2011, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Awww, that's about all you can ask for.

IanDanKilmaster

Thanks to you both, I really appreciate it.  Rather, I should say we appreciate it :3.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 25, 2011, 11:47:17 PM
glad to hear you're happy! ^^ what's her name? :3

I'd love to tell you, but I don't think I'm ready to disclose that information.  I don't think many, if any, people on this board even know my name yet xD.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

most, if not all of us know each other's names by now. that's something you missed, we've gotten alot more relaxed. mind you, we're not throwing each others' phone numbers and home addresses at each other, but we're all on a first name basis now.

my name's kari. what's yours? :3
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Call me Dan, if you must.

I tend to prefer lurking in the veil of pseudonymity, but it seems those days are nearly at an end anyway, so perhaps I can have a name amongst my friends :3.

I've also answered to: That Guy, Stabby, Axeman, Bastard, Jerk, and That Dude with the Hatchet.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Bella

Aww, Stabby, that's really sweet. ^^

/OSC/ now has another happy couple, which makes three: Dan + Mrs. Dan, Pitkin/Fedora and Stew/Bella.

The last one's an LDR at the moment, but someday we will change that. >:3

Chocofreak13

@IDK: nice to meet you! this makes you thr 4th dan i know, and the 3rd dan i'd like to know. :3

as you all may have noticed, i went on a rampage in topicless. i felt justified in taking the tough love route, so no apology for you. which brings me to a question:
has a friend/family member/etc ever made you so disgusted in their willingness to give up that you felt the need to scream at them untill they realized their potential or got off their ass?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah, at least once.

My sister, much like me, doesn't have a GED; however, she did go take the test back around '05 or so and got very high scores on every category except math. All she needed to do was to go take some free classes after work or something, and then she could go retake the math portion alone and try to improve her score, but she instead gave up because she didn't get it right the first time. 6 years later, she still hasn't tried to take the test again, which really pisses me off; especially because she has a friend who's willing to help her with studying for math.

Chocofreak13

this is one of the reasons i'm wary of homeschooling.

maybe you could crash-course her and convince her to come with you when you go. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 26, 2011, 06:33:00 PMhas a friend/family member/etc ever made you so disgusted in their willingness to give up that you felt the need to scream at them untill they realized their potential or got off their ass?

EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY

Nichi

Just about everybody I know who was homeschooled agrees with me that if we had the chance to do it all over, we'd insist on going to a public school. It just feels like a waste of time when I spent so much of my childhood on schoolwork, only for it to amount to nothing because I didn't receive a diploma at the end of high school.

Still, maybe after I pass, I can help her study for math :)

stewartsage

Nope.  Pretty sure all/almost all of my family fully realized what they wanted to do in life.  Or at least enough of it that they don't complain about it.

I'm wary of homeschooling as well.  For reasons.

Chocofreak13

i'm cool with homeschooling, as long as it's an acredited program and part of the study time is devoted to the GED.

@bella: no offense or anything, but you seem to follow in their footsteps a bit. :[
@stew: like you, most of my family is tenacious enough to go for what they want. not as tenacious as me, but tenacious. :3
(that, and alot of times giving up isn't an option... >>; )
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Ehhh, well, I just think that public school or private school, anything with other kids who you may or may not like but still have to deal with, is as important a part of education as the actual classwork since it teaches you how to function in society at large.  Not selling homeschooling short academically, my friends the Millers homeschooled all of their children until high school, but most of the people I know who were homeschooled all the way through are a bit.... odd.  Its stupid to generalize a group, so remember I'm just giving an opinion on people I know.

Yeah, my family seems to be able to handle just about whatever gets chucked at them without stopping.  The ones that are still alive.

Bella

I'm wary of homeschooling when it's guided by extreme conservatism or religion, parents attempting to shelter their kids, or is conducted in a haphazard fashion ... but accredited homeschooling programs with normal curricula with children who actually WANT to be homeschooled, I'm fine with.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 26, 2011, 07:42:51 PM@bella: no offense or anything, but you seem to follow in their footsteps a bit. :[

I know this, and I am not offended. Actually, i'm about the only one in my family who wants to break the cycle of apathy and fatalism (my dad TALKS about this a lot, but he does little to actually STOP it); it's the source of a lot of my internal conflict and angst. -w-

Quote from: stewartsage on August 26, 2011, 07:55:20 PMbut most of the people I know who were homeschooled all the way through are a bit.... odd.  Its stupid to generalize a group, so remember I'm just giving an opinion on people I know.

My brother was almost entirely homeschooled; ironically, he's probably the most normal person in my family. ^^;;

Chocofreak13

i'll bet the ones that aren't are taking it in stride. xD

and in some state or large private homeschool programs they have group activities for all the homeschool kids in the area, like homeschool sports teams. :3
when i have kids, i'm going to give them the options of either public, online, or homeschool. :3 (though that last one might be iffy. :\ )

@bella: i want to congradulate you for trying, but all that ranting in topicless has me all doubting you. :\
click to make it bigger