Favorite OS?

Started by CanaryTan, February 26, 2011, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitkin

Quote from: svx on February 27, 2011, 04:57:48 PM
Gentoo is nice, but some of  the people in its core community seem less than pleasant... Ehh...

That applies to many Linux communities, I feel. Every time one posts about a problem like, "whenever I do this and that, the x server freezes", the first answer is, "I don't have any problem, but I never do that". And that's pretty much the nicest and most helpful answer one gets for a while. >.<

Well, I need to admit too that I've never dared to ask any questions myself: I just trust someone else did and skip all the sarcastic answers. x)

Chocofreak13

that's my major turnoff with linux as a whole; the majority of the community is a buncha programmers, so naturally some of them would be total asses to people who don't use the command line/know how to program/are new to linux. i'm a little afraid to try it, since i don't know much. the only silver lining is that the majority of the people here either use or have used linux, so i know i'll get a straight, helpful answer. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I have an irrational dislike of the Linux and FOSS communities, mostly based on the actions of a couple of ex-friends/current-asshats. -W-

The community isn't as esoteric as you'd think - in fact, there are a lot of experienced, but non-techhead people involved with Linux -  but there does seem to be a pervasive holier-than-thou attitude, worse even than that of the so-called Mac Evangelists. Ironically, while the Linux/FOSS communities pride themselves on inclusion and user freedom, they aren't exactly the most people-friendly of groups. -.-;;

CanaryTan

This reminds me.
I can't decide if i like XP or Ubuntu more. orz
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Dr. Kraus

I used to do a little work in the Ubuntu community back in version 9.?? (Been a while), organized a few package files and put together a wallpaper theme type thing. The community isn't that bad from what I noticed, though there were the people whom got a high and mighty with Linux and such so I don't use Ubuntu that much anymore other than a dual boot back-up if Windows7 is being cranky.

Here is my list:
Windows 95
Windows 2K
Windows 7

Macintosh System 7
Macintosh System 7.5
Mac OSX Snow Leopard (Don't own a Mac that can run this but I still like it for when I get to use it.)

Ubuntu 9.10
Arch Linux   

CanaryTan

I should really make a list of the ones i've used..

windows 95
windows 98
windows 2k
windows xp
windows vista
windows 7

mac system 7
Mac os x

Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 10.10

Chocofreak13

does anyone have an iso of windows 95 i can use? :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

I think I might... unless it's a MSVPC/Virtualbox image... : \

CanaryTan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 28, 2011, 11:02:45 PM
does anyone have an iso of windows 95 i can use? :\

I know I have one somewhere on my computer....I'll have to dig around

stewartsage

I have three or four disks, but no ISO.

Chocofreak13

@stew: if i give you my mailing address, can i has one?  i probably couldn't use the iso anyway.... ^^;;
click to make it bigger

Bella

I think he means he has three or four install floppies rather than a single disk image... from before the days they used ISOs to install OSes...

Upon closer inspection, it appears that I only have a VMWare Player image of Windows 95. You could still used it under VirtualBox if you wanna just play with it though... : \

Red-Machine

Windows 95 came on about 35 floppies, so I doubt he's referring to that, unless he has an incomplete set.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

My bad, I was thinking of my Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 CD.  I do have a complete 95 floppy set though.  Digging it out of storage would be a pain though, since they were never used.

Chocofreak13

;__; that would suck......but i'd still like them if you're willing to give. :\
click to make it bigger